Author Topic: Being blocked from doing your own Irish research and forced to pay a researcher?  (Read 10561 times)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: Being blocked from doing your own Irish research and forced to pay a researcher?
« Reply #36 on: Monday 14 November 11 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Some earlier  Kilglass records here starting 1833 for births:
http://www.puregolduk.com/bren/kilglass_co_sligo3c.htm

Later....

Sorry, see you are interested in Kilglass C of I, not RC. I'll leave this here anyway, in case it is of use to someone else.

PM

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Being blocked from doing your own Irish research and forced to pay a researcher?
« Reply #37 on: Monday 14 November 11 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I think they might be RC records ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 14 November 11 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Snap! was just adding that, penny dropped after I posted...PM

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
  • The whole is the sum of all our pasts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all of you, especially Elwyn and Shane. That gives me a good start. One more thing I haven't worked out yet, when Presbyterians lived in Ballina, Mayo in the 1870's, where did they go to church?
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 07:37 GMT (UK) »
possibly in the current church which is on Walshe Street in the town and dates to the early 1800s
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Ballina Presbyterian Church opened in July 1851 but the congregation started as a mission station attached to Killala when the first services wereconducted in 1835.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 09:24 GMT (UK) »
I found this description on line:

The church was founded in 1846. The church building, or meeting house, is located in Walshe Street, directly opposite the former Garda Station. During the Great Famine of 1845-49 and in the subsequent decades the premises were the centre of a great relief effort, co-ordinated by Rev Thomas Armstrong. The building to the left of the church was formerly an orphanage attached to the congregation. The church is T-shaped, a typically Presbyterian design. The congregation meets for worship in the upper storey of the building. The ground floor, once a schoolhouse, now comprises a suite of halls.
Elwyn