Author Topic: VIRGINIA STREET CATHOLIC CHAPEL WAPPING  (Read 5360 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: VIRGINIA STREET CATHOLIC CHAPEL WAPPING
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 January 17 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Churchie.  These are very helpful and I recognise various members of the extended family.

The Watson children I am looking for are:
Agnes Mary, 1840
Edward Joseph, 1841
John, 1842
Joseph, 1844
Mary Teresa, 1846
Elizabeth, 1848

Other surnames that I am interested in are Coverdale, Holland and Thorpe, and maybe a daughter of Lewis Smith born between 1830 and 1833.

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 January 17 04:32 GMT (UK) »
The baptisms only run between 1748 and 1838,  and marriages from 1747-1840, so I can't help with the Watsons.
The indexes only list surnames, so I have to go into each page, which means the christian names are not in any order, just as I found them. The baptisms names are a mixture of parents and sponsors.

1. I didn't find a child to Lewis Smith, but found a Louis Smith as a sponsor to 2 baptisms for Farrell children in 1831 and 1833.

2. A few Thorpes in baptisms, names:
1770-1792 Susan, Roger
1793-1819 Sara, Emily, Sophia, Emma, Frances
1820-26 Sara

3. One Thorpe marriage  1838 - Joseph Thorpe to Elizabeth Pearson

4. Lots of Hollands in baptisms:
1770-1792 William and Jane with 3 children- William, Jane, Elizabeth. Hana, Joan, Martha, Joanna, Ann
1793-1819 Mary, Timothy, George, Dorothy, Helen, Anne, Mary, John, Eleanor, Rose-Ann, Thomas, Patrick
1820-26 Joanna, Dennis, Mary, Margaret, John, Eleanor, Mary-Elizabeth, Honor, James and Mary
1826-31 Catherine, Mary, John, Honor, Helen, Patrick, William, Thomas, Daniel
1831-38 Ann, John, Lucy, Helen, Henry, William, Jeremiah, Patrick, George, Catherine, Thomas, Elizabeth, Edward

5. Some Hollands in marriages:
1792 Michael Holland and Eleanor Callaghan
1817 Thomas Holland and Joanna James
1748 Daniel Holland witness
1796 Richard Pinnock Holland and Elizabeth Holland witnesses

6. Coverdale - no baptisms, but a marriage in 1837 between Alfred Rymer and Appolonia Coverdale, widow of James Coverdale.

Have a look through this lot, and let me know if you want more details on any of them.

Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 January 17 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for these Churchie.

Can you tell me more about the baptism of Sara Thorpe?  I'm looking for the baptisms of children of Charles Thorpe and Ann Coverdale who married in 1819, and she may fit in.  I've found three children to this couple so far.  They lived in Norfolk and Buckland, Berkshire, but I thought the Wickwars were in Berkshire too at that time, yet they're in these records.

The Farrell family could be good a lead for Lewis Smith (he is a brick wall) so I'm extremely interested in those.  Ann Thorpe (née Coverdale) was a witness at the marriage of a Lewis Smith to Mary Ann Coverdale in 1830.

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 January 17 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.

Sara Thorpe was the mother or sponsor in these baptisms. I did't find a baptism for her.
20 Nov 1818 Charles WALFORD b 18 Apr 1818 f John WALFORD m Sara THORP, sp Amelia Burne
23 Apr 1812 Mary HALL sp Sarah THORPE
9 Feb 1823 Julia WALFORD b 19 Nov 1822 f Charles WALFORD m Sara THORPE sp Emily Burne
13 Sept 1824 Louisa WALFORD b 28 Jul 1824 f Charles WALFORD m Sara THORPE sp Emily Burne

Lewis/Louis SMITH:
31 July 1831 John FARRELL b 7 July f Thomas FARRELL m Margaret HIGHLAND sp Louis SMITH and Elizabeth SMITH
24 Nov 1833 Ann FARRELL b 27 Oct f Thomas FARRELL m Margaret HALY sp Louis SMITH and Mary McHUGH

Do you think any of your people would have attended other catholic churches in the area? I have the complete set of CDs...
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 January 17 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Churchie.   That has given me a lot to go on with.

I'll see what I can find on the Farrells.   The GRO is showing an Elizabeth born in 1841 in St James Westminster and the mother's surname is Hailand.

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 January 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I've just sent you a message. Oh, and funny, I don't even know your name!

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Churchie, as you would appear to have this CD, could you see if there was any mention of the McSweeney (or variants) family mentioned in the Virginia Street records (or any of the other RC churches in East London)? Vincent

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 November 17 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vincent, I have just started looking, and there are quite a few, so I am going to copy them into an excel spreadsheet.
Would you like to PM me your email address so I can send it to you?

Caroline.

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 November 17 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Dear Caroline,
Have forgotten how to do PMs so please contact on [email address removed]. Vincent