Author Topic: Allison crest help wanted  (Read 1903 times)

Offline woodbob123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Allison crest help wanted
« on: Wednesday 02 November 11 12:14 GMT (UK) »
My wife searching back through her Scotish line came upon this descricption of crest arms and mottos in History of the Allisons by Leonard Allison Morrison prnted in Boston in 1893

ALLISON__ a pheasant holding in the dexter claw a key and in the beak an ear of corn ppr

see my post further down and I intend to make her a shield bearing these arms, does anyboby have a photo or illustration i can work from or know where i may find one       thanks

I would also like to add that my family name is Keyes so this is quite apt she also hopes the key is held tightly by the neck   :P

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Allison crest help wanted
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 20:56 GMT (UK) »
The crest you describe (blazoned in Burke's General Armory as "A pheasant holding in the dexter goot a key, and in his beak an ear of barley ppr.") is truly a crest, and inappropriate for display on a shield.

The coat of arms associated with this crest (as given in Burke) is Argent an inescutcheon gules.  That is to say, a white shield with a red shield centered upon it.

I was able to track down an image of the pheasant crest in an old copy of Fairbairn's Crests, and will attach it here.

David

Offline woodbob123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 22:04 GMT (UK) »
many thanks   now I have something to work with, all I intend is a shield shaped wall plaque. If I finish in a reasonable time will attach a photo

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 November 11 01:50 GMT (UK) »
You are most welcome!  And I'm sure we'd all love to see the finished product when you get it done.

David