Author Topic: Look-up Request  (Read 8384 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up Request
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 November 11 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Addresses:
20 Bow Street, Stirling
74 St. Mary's Wynd, Stirling

Edward's Parents:
Edward Smith, Labourer, deceased
Mary Smith nee Currie, deceased

Euphemia's Parents:
Daniel Cairney, Labourer & Pensioner 91st Regiment
Mary Cairney nee Moir, deceased

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 November 11 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Very well done Anne    :)  My last input to this one....  Just downloaded her birth entry. 

Euphemia was born on 06 Aug 1889 and died in 1984 aged 95.   Parents as you've identified.  They were married on 25 Nov 1873 in Edinburgh.

1984 SMITH EUPHEMIA (CAIRNEY)  F 95 STIRLING /STIRLING 473/00 0624

Have a very good day.  Regards,   Steve   :)

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 November 11 11:03 GMT (UK) »
By 1901 it appears the family were all split up ....

Living at 8 Leonard Street, Arbroath:

Eldest son John Cairney, age 22, born c1879 Stirling, House Painter
Wife Agnes, age 21, born c1880, Arbroath
Son Daniel Cairney, age 2, born c1899, Arbroath
Son John D. Cairney, age 5 months, born c1901, Arbroath

Brother Hugh M. Cairney, age 13, born c1888 Stirling, Flax Mill Worker

No sign of Helen who would be about 16.

Boarding at Mitchell Land, Leslie, Fife (with an Elizabeth Muckersie)
William Cairney, age 18, born c1883, Stirling, Railway Porter

No sign of Michael who would be about 20.

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 November 11 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Just had another look at the 1901 Census .....

There is a Margaret and a Dorothy Cairnie at Spittal Street Girls Industrial School.

Could just be co-incidence but is they turn out to be Effie's wee sisters, the other details are:

Margaret, age 9, born c1892, Stirling
Dorothy, age 7, born 1894 at Stirling.

There is a 'matching' Dorothy Cairney sailing to/from Canada aboard the S.S. 'Montrose' in March/April 1923, but I'm not too sure how to read these things. It appears that's she's been back and forard to Canada (in 1914 then in 1922).

It says on this particular document that she's joining her brother Mr. Hugh Cairney, 68 Risemere(?) Avenue, Ottowa

I found 3 different documents, 2 of which 'cross-reference' but as I said, I'm dubious about posting the details in case I'm reading them wrongly.

Anne

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 November 11 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about posting in 'dribs and drabs' - I keep running out of space (and nothing on the discussions on this problem seems to work for me).

Anyway ......

Hugh Cairney also went to Canada - 3 lots of documentation for him but again, once I get your e-mail address, I'll forward the images and you can sort out what's what!

Anne  :)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 November 11 19:57 GMT (UK) »
What marvelous stuff folks.
I never thought I'd get so much information, both here and by PM, by posting just one question. .. It's great.

Euphemia's brother Hugh and sister Dorothy settled in Canada.

Another brother, John, (must be the one living in Arbroath in 1901) emegrated to New Zealand. Don't know where or when but I do know that some of his family are living there.

The Canadian family ar going to be extremely pleased with all this information. As am I.

Cheers
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline alsuttie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys, I'm a newbie to this so be gentle.
I googled Daniel Cairney Stirling as he is my great grandad (90% certain). Your forum chat was the first entry on search results.
My interest was in William Burns Cairney who was the third son of Daniel and Mary (Moir), he was my mum's dad. There were six in the family John, Michael, William, Helen, Hugh and Euphemia. As has been said, Daniel and Mary married in Edinburgh and obviously settled in Stirling. Daniel died in Stirling aged 82, Mary was deceased prior to 1903. William got married in Methil in 1903 to Janet Henderson and they had a son, Daniel, in 1905. Sadly, my great-uncle Daniel only survived 15 hours. My mum, Janet, came along in October 1911 but ended up being brought up by her uncle, John Henderson. William's wife died aged 35 and he re-married an Annie Murphy or Walker.
Hope this helps out, if anyone has details of where Daniel Cairney (senior) was born I'd be most grateful. I believe he came from Ireland and may have altered his name from Kearney or O'Kearney.
I've just started out on the geneology trail, so maybe I have taken the wrong route, feel free to correct me.

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello alsuttie and welcome to RootsChat

Very interested in your posting. Your being the grandchild of William Cairney makes you my wife's second cousin. My wife is the grand daughter of Michael Cairney.
I began researching the Cairney tree some years ago but gave up to concentrate on my own family tree.

William is one of the brothers that I know nothing about so I hope you will provide lots of info on him and his family. I will be only too pleased to swap info with you. I have quite a few old Cairney photos and hopefully you will have some too.

The above phots were lifted from my old Cairney files and the info with them needs to be updated.
ie Mary Moir didn't die in Stirling, she died in Arbroath.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline alsuttie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Fergie, thanks for your reply.
Brilliant to see the photos, at the moment I don't have anything like that at all. I will post a bit more tonight as I'm at work just now.
Once again, many thanks.