Author Topic: Look-up Request  (Read 8369 times)

Offline alsuttie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up Request
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the pic you posted, I see you have his birth year as 1846. This is at odds with what I believe to be his death certificate, that says he was 82 when he died in 1922. Which puts his birth year around 1840/41. The 1891 Census gives Daniel and Marys' ages as 49  and 37, placing his birth year as 1842, just to add to the confusion.
As I said, I am just a novice at this but already I can see how easy it is to take the wrong path. I'll double check my 'facts' when I get home tonight.

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Like I said, the files are old and in need of updating.
I have had a quick look at my computer files but ther is a severe lack of info there. There is some, but not a lot, mainly caused by a hard drive failure.
I will have to look out some old paper work and see what I have in there.

Last year, my wife and I went to visit her Cairney cousins in Canada who she has always kept in touch with, so we have loads of info on that branch of the family.
We are in Stirling, what part of the world are you in.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline alsuttie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm in Fife, was born and brought up in Windygates but now live in Leven. I am the youngest (55) of the nine children George Suttie and Janet Henderson Cairney had. There is a good spread of age, my oldest sister Jeanette celebrated her 80th last year. I'll send you a few more details tonight and I intend getting what old photos we have (not many) digitised. Once I get that done I will pass them on.
All my grandparents were dead by the time I was born so I have no memories of them, my Dad died in 1978 and Mum in 1995. Needless to say I kick myself for not getting more info from them, I can remember some stories but not a lot.
Speak to you later.

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello again alsuttie.
There are some snippets of info that you won't be able to pass on via this forum as the Moderators will not allow you to post details about living people.
i have sent you a PM with my email address.

Michael Cairney, Your grandfather's brother.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Kea12345

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 November 18 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cairney cousins,

Warm greetings from New Zealand. After a long hiatus from genealogy I'm getting back on the bandwagon and was very happy to see this thread. I'm descended from Daniel and Mary's son, John, who migrated to NZ in the 20's.

Fergie38, I believe we were in touch via email in the early 2000s and then lost touch, perhaps on Rootwebs or Ancestry.com. Hope you've been well. Would it be possible for you to email me the images of Daniel and Mary, please? Either you or another distant cousin I found online had sent me both photos a long time ago but I only have a paper copy of them now and nothing digital.

Happy tracing, everyone. Hopefully one of these days we'll find some Irish records some more details on Daniel so we can trace back even further.

Best wishes,
Kea