Author Topic: New Topic - Looking for a Researcher  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
New Topic - Looking for a Researcher
« on: Wednesday 02 November 11 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Well I have exhausted all avenues using the internet for my County Clare research, particularly around Ennis and Drumcliff.  The surname I am researching is Mungovan (and spelling variants of course).  Quite a common name I am led to believe.

Does anyone know of a local researcher that I could engage, at a reasonable fee, to do some research through local parish records?

Located in a regional area in Australia it is a little difficult for me other than throught the internet, ancestry, County Clare library, etc.  Next year I am planning a trip to Ireland but I want to be so prepared with my research before I go.

If anyone can offer me some advice that would be great.

Thank you for reading my post.
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: New Topic - Looking for a Researcher
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 11 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Well I have exhausted all avenues using the internet for my County Clare research, particularly around Ennis and Drumcliff.
Does anyone know of a local researcher that I could engage, at a reasonable fee, to do some research through local parish records?

Usually the most convenient location to research multiple RC parish records is in the National Library in Dublin (www.nli.ie), since that's where films for most  of the RC registers are held.

Drumclift is the name of the RC parish which covers both Ennis and Drumcliff (the civil parish is named Drumcliff) and transcripts of baptism and marriage records are available free on : http://www.ennisparish.com/genealogy/

Baptism records go back to 1841, and marriages to 1837.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 11 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I may be wrong but when I was  in County Clare aboiut 4 years ago I was quite envious when I noticed they had put most of their records on line. I imagine you have found these though.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 November 11 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Thank you for your interest in my post.  I have found two baptisms on the website for Ennis Parish records relating to Drumcliff so that was a little success.

I might have a look at more of the Dublin sites for records rather than concentrating on County Clare as the records may be more available in Dublin.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Suzanne
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 November 11 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I don't know the years you are researching but you could check:-
www.kilmihil.com
Click the History button at the top of the screen, then choose Genealogy.
This throws up several dozen Mungovan etc in Birth/Marriage/Death records.  About 40 are listed in the Births alone!
Also
www.clarelibrary.ie
Then under Co Clare, click Genealogy & Family History.
The 1820-1840 Title Applotment Books: List of Surnames, names several Mongovan etc. You'll probably find the name elsewhere on these wonderful websites.

Happy hunting

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 November 11 08:05 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't seen the kilmilhill.com website before and yes there are a few Mungovan's there.  I will print them off and sort them out and hopefully at least one out of all of them can be a Mungovan of mine.

Thank you for your advice and direction.