Author Topic: Jerseylilys reply to Pat in September 2011 re missing madain name on birth certi  (Read 2962 times)

Offline caroledmett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi I have just joined Rootschat and my friend Pat has requested help with original birth certificate for Florence Kearsley (or Kearsey, Kersey) smith born in St Helier Jerset 1859, christened 1860.  Father James Smith mothers name on birth certificate is Smith.  I believe this was not her maiden name . Is it possible to have sight of the original birth certificate or for someone to look and see what the actual names on this were.

So grateful, thanks
Carol

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: Jerseylilys reply to Pat in September 2011 re missing madain name on birth certi
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 November 11 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Florence Kersey Smith appears on the Ancestry website and in a few of the family trees there.

Her mother's name is given as Harriet Ann Smith nee Dimmock born 1832 in Kennington Surrey, Her father as James Smith born 1816 Surrey.

Hope that helps your search a bit further.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline caroledmett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jerseylilys reply to Pat in September 2011 re missing madain name on birth certi
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 November 11 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for getting back to me.
I am happy that Harriette Smith is Harriette Dimmock, as you rightly said.  We have all been told that Harriette and James eloped to Jersey.  We cannot find any documentation where Harriette has actually used her maiden name in connection with James and her children. 
I am now trying to find out more about James Smith born 1816 in Surrey, he was a coachman. 
If they were married in Jersey, is there anyway this could have happened without it being registered in the normal way? 
Thanks

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 November 11 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried googling the name Florence Kersey Smith?  I found a family tree online that provides a fair bit of information on the family, namely her Dimmock Grandparents and a reference that Harriet and James Smith married in London (but not with a date)

Maybe they married in a Registry Office? 

If it was in Jersey hopefully someone on the Island who is able to do a search for you, would kindly have a look. 
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline caroledmett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 November 11 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes, this is my problem.  I have seen the entries for our family tree.  All of my 45 cousins, their parents, my grandparents and even a New Forest magazine entry has said that Florence Kersey Smith was 2nd cousin to Florence Nightingale.  This is my quest.  To see some kind of documentation with that link.
One thing I have learnt is to work backwards.  Having been satisfied about GG Grandmother being descended from Edward Moss Dimmock, I turn my head to James Smith.  Who is this man, apparently related to F Nightingale.  If you could find a marriage certicate that might help and would certainly fill in a gap.
It states on the famiy tree that his father was William Adams Smith.  How do they know this?  Thats ultimately my aim.  Really appreciate any help you can give me.
Carol

Offline ops026

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 17:00 BST (UK) »
My GG Grandmother Harriet Ann and James were never married, it has been a family secret. James Kearsley was a coachman born in Aldershot who worked for the Dimmock family. He eloped with Harriet to Jersey and changed his surname, he was still married to his wife Elizabeth when he eloped and left behind 3 children. The Moss Dimmock Will shows that she did not get a share of the estate (a significant one), but was given a one time payment of £2000 which was presumably allowed them to return and buy the farm in Winsor in the New Forest. His wife Elizabeth died between 1891 and 1901 (the 1901 census shows him as a widower although Harriet was still alive and with her daughter Clara in Wolston, Southampton. Florence was the first born and retained his surname Kearsley.