Author Topic: Birth details for children of EDWARD SPEDDING PARKER  (Read 3649 times)

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth details for children of EDWARD SPEDDING PARKER
« on: Sunday 06 November 11 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Not sure whether this should be in them Common Room, but will start here first.

What I do know is that Edward is the son of John Cowham Parker from Hull, and married a Sarah Jarman (daughter of Thomas & Martha Jarman) in October 1841 in Grahamstown, South Africa. Some time after the marriage Edward returned to England with his wife and in 1848 travelled to Australia on the ship "Beulah" with 4 children and a maid. The shipping details however do not give the names and ages of the children.

In an Australian newspaper in 1940 just prior to turning 100, their first child (I believe) Carlisle Harrington Parker, stated in an interview that "he was born at sea rounding the Cape of Good Hope as his father was going for a elephant shooting trip". However I could find no evidence of his birth recorded in SA.

I believe their second son, Edward Spedding Parker was born in Grahamstown on the 7 October 1842. I have found two other children, Ada Elizabeth W Parker and Erskine Charley Pakenham Parker in Australia, which hopefully makes up the four. However I could find no confirming details of their births in freebmd or other sources. As they obviously were in England after 1842 but left in 1848, they would not appear on either the 1841 & 1851 Census.

I am looking for confirmations of their birth details and location of birth to complete my Australian information.

In a letter written by Sarh to her son Erskine in 1896, she said thet Edward Spedding Parker was educated for law at Rugby but at 25 gave it up and his father purchased a commission for him in the Hanoverian Army. He tired of that life and resumed his study and later practised successfully in England, and after a brief period went to Africa where he was appointed Private Secretary to Sir Maurice Stokenstron, then Governor of the Cape.

Hope there is enough information for someone to assist.

Best Regards,

Wildcats13 

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Birth details for children of EDWARD SPEDDING PARKER
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 November 11 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Erskins death date was 17 Sept 1931 age 84, giving a Birth Date c 1847.
Image of The Cemetary Inscription is on Familysearch.Org.
(apologies if you already have this)
I have been right through all Parkers born c 1846-1848 and like you cant find his Birth Reg.

I did notice a Tree on Anc that has him born 19 Oct 1851, Ipswich, Qld. Another says 1848.
Son of his Carlisle Harrington Parker born 1882 Shoalhaven, NSW
(Aust Birth Index confirms this)

Sorry not much help,
Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 November 11 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Carlisle Harrington PARKER Baptised/Christened 18 December 1845,
Sculcoates, York, England
Parents EDWARD and SARAH
(Source Familysearch.Org)
Cant seem to find a FreeBMD Reg though which could be early 1846 even.

Possible?
Ada Eliza Wilson PARKER, Baptised/Christened 22 September 1847,
Gillingham, Kent
Birth Date 26 October 1846
Parents EDWARD and SARAH
(Familysearch.Org)

Maybe they waited to get back to England to Christen the Children?

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 November 11 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Interesting Coroners Report into Edwards Death 1873!

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 November 11 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Just as a side-line :)
Parents for Edward Spedding Parker?

John Cowam PARKER, Christened 15 December 1774, Saint Mary, Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire
Father WILLIAM Parker

Elizabeth SPEDDING Christened 06 March 1785, St James, Whitehaven, Cumberland
Parents JAMES/ELIZABETH

Cant find a Marriage though for John Parker/Elizabeth Spedding though
But here is the Harrington connection;

James SPEDDING Married Elizabeth HARRINGTON, 02 January 1779, St Mary, Whitehaven, Cumberland

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 November 11 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to get off track from your original query but found this and you may not have it??

1851 Census
15 Abbey St,
Abbey St, Carlisle, Cumberland
HO107/2430/136/29
Elizabeth PARKER, 65, Head, Widow, Fund Holder, born Whitehaven, Cumberland
Mary Catherine Parker, 35, Daug, Unm, Annuitant, born Hull, Yorkshire
+ 4 Servants

1841 Census
Charlotte St,
Sculcoates, Yorkshire
HO107/1232/9/Sculcoates
Carlisle PARKER, 30, Merchant
Harrington, 15
Mary, 25
Lucy, 20
Fanny, 20

Lucy Married Edward TWINING , a Surgeon
Lucy Harriet PARKER christened 30 Oct 1817, Sculcoates, York to John Cowham PARKER and ELIZABETH

MARRIAGE
02 August 1842, Hull, Yorkshire
Carlisle Spedding PARKER, Single, Father John Cowham PARKER
Elizabeth BROWN, Single, Father Thomas Allman BROWN

Christening;
EDWARD Parker, 06 May 1812, Sculcoates, Yorkshire
Parents JOHN/ELIZABETH

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 November 11 16:30 GMT (UK) »
It was bugging me I could find John/Elizabths Marriage.
Looks like it is incorrectly indexed;
John COWHAM
Elizabeth SPEDING
28 January 1809, Saint Nicholas, Whitehaven, Cumberland
(Familysearch.Org)

John Cowham Parker was probably previously Married to Ann GOODHAND, 02 Nov 1795, Hull, Yorkshire

Offline EmmaParker

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 10:57 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old post........but I do have a fair bit of information on the John Cowham Parker who married both Ann Goodhand and Eliza Spedding.

JCP married Ann in 1795 (first via Gretna Green, then on 2nd Nov 1795 in Hull).

JCP was born in 1773 Holy Trinity, Hull Yorkshire.  Died 21st Jan 1841.

Ann died in 1808.

JCP married Eliza in 1809.  Eliza was born 27/2/1785, to James Spedding and his second wife, Elizabeth Lucy Harrington.  James Spedding had 6 children in nine years, and his father was Carlise Speeding (1695-1755).  Carlise Spedding was an agent to the Duke of Lowther and a mining expert.

JCP & Ann had 7 children

JCP & Eliza had 10 children, including Edward Spedding Parker.

Edward Spedding Parker married Sarah Parkenham, (whose mother's mother was dau of Sir William Percival) 
   Children -
   (a) Ada Eliza Wilson Parker, was born at 78 Canaburgh    Square, London, christened at Gillingham, Kent.
   (b) Erskine Charley Parkenham Parker, born at Rose Cottage, Hampstead, baptized at Ipswich, Morton Bay.
   (c) Edward Spedding Parker born Grahamstown, Cape of Good Hope.

Moved to South Australia.

I have a fair bit of information on JCP is anyone wants to get in touch.
Looking for relatives of John Cowham Parker (1773-1841), mayor of Hull & had 2 wives, Ann Goodhand & Elizabeth/Eliza Speedings.  And information of John Goodhand Parker, William Bilbie Parker, Henry Watson Parker, Marion Parker (nee Rorauer), Wilfred Watson Parker & Frances Charlotte Mary Purssell (& her parents Alfred Purssell & Ellen Ware, and grandparents Roger & Charlotte Purssell).

Also Maternal line - Hodgson, Bacon, Stapylton, Slingsby, Percy, Mortimer.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 12:22 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Emma.

Hopefully you will get a reply from Wildcats13.

I posted a lot of info in 2011 trying to help this person and they never acknowledged it on this query.