Author Topic: Lord MacDonald Estate Isle of Skye  (Read 13762 times)

Offline Eumungerie

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lord MacDonald Estate Isle of Skye
« on: Sunday 06 November 11 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Donald and Mary Martin(nee Matherion) were listed as coming from Lord MacDonald' Estate on their emigration record to Portland Bay, Melbourne, Victoria, on the ship called "Arabian", departing from Liverpool 3 June 1854 and arriving 19 September 1854. Donald was aged 34, birth year 1820, his residence Valtos, estate Lord MacDonald, parish Kilmuir, Inverness.
Mary Martin was aged 25, birth years 1829 at the same residence.
Could anyone help me with the locality of this estate, residence etc.? I would appreciate any information about the Isle of Sky.
Thanks
Law-Fife, Shepherd-Perth, Scotland, Elworthy-Devon, Berrisford-Ashover, Derbyshire, Ryan-Callan, Kilkenney Co, Ireland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Lord MacDonald Estate Isle of Skye
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 November 11 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eumungerie

The marriage or banns to the marriage show in the Old Parish Registers (OPR) on IGI as follows:

Donald MARTIN and Mary MATHESON m. 26 April 1854 in Snizort, Inverness

An image from the register can be downloaded from the pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ However, be aware that this is just before the start of official registration in Scotland so the OPR entry may be more likely than no, no more than a one line entry.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eumungerie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 November 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica,
Years ago I got a copy of Donald and Mary' marriage record. It states Names of Parties "Donald Martin, Residence East Side, When Proclaimed 9 April 1854, When Married 26 April 1854, ministers Name Rev. Angus Martin. Mary Matheson's residence was given as Glenhinnisdal. I have a good map of the Island, so I can see where Mary came from and perhaps find her on the 1851 census, but Donald's residence "East Side" has got me!
On Donald's death certificate his father is listed as Alexander Martin and his mother Margaret but no maiden name.
Trying to find him on the 1851 census is proving to be difficult.
Any help please would be appreciated. That is why I thought Lord MacDonald's Estate records might help.
Babs
Law-Fife, Shepherd-Perth, Scotland, Elworthy-Devon, Berrisford-Ashover, Derbyshire, Ryan-Callan, Kilkenney Co, Ireland.

Offline emartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I too am searching Donald Martin and Mary, they would be my great great great grandfather/mother. Im wondering how you both went on finding the information you were looking for ??  NOW if i actually have the right Donald Martin...I actually spoke to the great grandson of Donald who is quite elderly now... he told me that his great grandfather who was the first of the MARTIN decendants in australia came by boat (they were scottish). and that the he came out to australia with his sister because she didnt want to be left behind... there was also a mention that he had a business something to do with selling flour in a mill and was undercutting the bigger companies and they didnt like it and wanted to get ri of him and thats why he came to australia...NOW im just wondering if I have the right Donald martin and Mary that you are both talking of?????? any HELP please !!

Offline Eumungerie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 21:45 BST (UK) »
Dear "emartin",
Can you please tell me where your Donald and Mary Martin lived in Australia? My husband's great, great grandfather Donald Martin lived and died in Rylstone, New South Wales. It appears there was more than one Donald and Mary Martin who immigrated to Australia, so yours and mine may not be the same one. I will be happy to share information if they are from the same family.

Offline emartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 June 12 12:55 BST (UK) »
The donald martin i have is from Rylstone. My family were from dubbo, mudgee, rylstone areas in NSW.  Peter Nicholson Martin (my great great garandfather) had a Father Named Donald and a mother named Mary, that is if my research has served me right.....I am quite certain it would have to be his father as i can see no other possibilities.  On peter nicholson Martin marriage certificate it says he was married at the residence of "D.Martin, Pinnacle swamp, district of rylstone". i assumed that the residence of  D.martin could be the residence of Donald martin. i was given some information by my family on who Donald and mary's children were. The story was also told they were from scotland. there is only one donald martin burried in Rylstone cemetery who died in 1888.
would love to hear back from you, i do have some old family photographs.

Offline Eumungerie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 June 12 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
We have the same Martin family. My husband is descended from Peter Nicholson Martin who died in Dubbo 21 June 1921. His son Maurice John Martin was Graham's grand father. My email address is
I will be very happy to hear from you.
Babs :)

*Moderator comment: e-mail address removed in accordnace with RootsChat general practice to avoid spamming and abuse.  Please use the personal message system to exchange personal e-mail addresses.  Thank you   :)

Offline emartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 June 12 23:55 BST (UK) »
wow, this is fun! but looks like this chat page didnt allow you to post your email address on the page

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 June 12 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you use the green scroll thingy below the persons name you can send personal messages after you have posted 3 times and exchange email addy's that way. saves spammers getting hold of your email address.

Yours Aye

BruceL