Author Topic: Peter Sabey of Roxton  (Read 25754 times)

Offline Lynn S

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Sabey of Roxton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
Thanks for all the info. Just was clutching at the family christian name connection. Have found info on Francis & Charlottes' gt-grandson Richard Saby born illigit. to Ruth who was Samuel's daughter. This Richard was a definite black sheep !!! 1851 with mother Ruth, 1861 in Bedford gaol aged 13, not found him 1871 & 1881 but he murders Louisa Johnson in 1893 & is hung 18/7/1893.
Will let you know if I find anything else.
Cheers Lynn

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 November 11 09:24 GMT (UK) »
This couple went on to have Peter Sabey c. 17/3/1805 at Gt. Stukeley.

This Peter joined the navy and lived in Chatham and Greenwich. He had six children, by two different wives, three by each.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 November 11 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Have found info on Francis & Charlottes' gt-grandson Richard Saby born illigit. to Ruth who was Samuel's daughter. This Richard was a definite black sheep !!! 1851 with mother Ruth, 1861 in Bedford gaol aged 13, not found him 1871 & 1881 but he murders Louisa Johnson in 1893 & is hung 18/7/1893.

One of the reports of the murder says that he was an ex sailor. Probably why we can't find him in 1871/81
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 November 11 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn
Bedfordshire Boy (I cannot give you the level of his knowledge!!) suggested I look at this topic but I have only done a little research into the Sabeys but think perhaps if you are looking for Richard SABEY (the sailor /murderer!) try looking for him as YERRAL - that was his alias!

Ruth SABEY d of Samuel Sabey 1793 Bolnhurst and Elizabeth
Ruth SABEY 1813 Keysoe married 1. aged 38 on 14 Apr 1851 St Cuthbert Bedford M003242 reg Bedford Apr-Jun 6 pg 31 to Thomas YERRALL 1795-1861 Colmworth Beds (Agr Lab)

Richard Sabey used the alias YERRALL http://apps.bedfordshire.gov.uk/grd/detail.aspx?id=23797
Richard Sabey alias Yerrall was convicted 3 Mar 1861 aged 13 prisoner Bedford Gaol  sentence was 3 months hard labour for stealing bread and money. No previous convictions.

Although Ruth SABEY had five children when she married Thomas YERRALL two of her children, Richard and Joseph were baptised as Yerrall the same day with Eliza (the first child Eliza born to Ruth after her marriage to Thomas Yerrall ).

I assume then that Joseph Yerrall was the father of Richard and Joseph and had them baptised as his children after his marriage to Ruth. He did not have Ruth’s three other children (Charlotte, William and Betsey) baptised as his children. (my poor Betsey was born in Bedford Union Workhouse)

Richard 1847 christened as Yerrall on 13 Nov 1853 St Cuthbert f=Thomas m=Ruth
Joseph 1849 christened as Yerralll on 13 Nov 1853 St Cuthbert f=Thomas m=Ruth  reg 1849 Bedford Q4 6 pg 38
Eliza Yerrall christened 13 Nov 1853 St Cuthbert f=Thomas m=Ruth 
https://www.familysearch.org/search/records#count=25&query=%2Bsurname:YERRALL~ %2Bbatch_number:C003242

Ruth SABEY aged 56 married for a 2nd time reg )Bedford Q2 3b pg 647 married  to James STANIFORD 1808 Wallgrave Berks

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 November 11 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Further to the post regarding Richard SABEY I found some newspaper articles which indicate that he was in the Army (not Navy) and lived in Liverpool. It also gives details of his wife (who he married in India) and a daughter and a child of the murder victim.

Richard Sabey hanged on 18 July 1893 for murder on 8 Feb 1893 of Louisa Sophie Johnson aged about 26 or 27 in Burton Latimer
Richard Sabey (known as Dick) aged 45 of Liverpool a Labourer had been a soldier in the Northamptonshire Regiment 48th, discharged and lived in Liverpool where he had lived with Louisa until his wife ‘a half-caste’ who he married in India returned. Louisa returned to Burton Latimer and obtained an affiliation order (dated 9 Feb 1893 at 3s 6d per week) for the support of a child. Sabey bought the knife in Liverpool and travelled to Burton Latimer on February 8th the day to murder. ‘Sabey surrendered himself to the police and said the Affiliation order being taken out by the victim was the reason for the crime’. He hoped his mother would not hear of his crime and was concerned for his daughter. His wife travelled from Liverpoolwith their daughter and visited him in prison. She said that since he had returned from India ‘he had at times behaved like a madman, drink upset him and he had been drinking heavily for the month before'. The defence said he had never recovered from severe sunstroke he suffered in India while in the Army and that also there was a history of epilepsy in Sabey’s family.

Richard Sabey was 45 in 1893 at the time of the murder therefore born about 1848
Richard was known as ‘Dick by Louisa’s family so perhaps he had known them in Burton Latimer before he and Louisa lived together in Liverpool. Her family had persuaded her to get the affiliation order. She was nearly 20 years younger than Richard. Although from Liverpool Richard was in a Northamptonshire Regiment (no army records found or marriage or birth record in India)
There is only one Sabey in Liverpool on 1901 Census Mary Sabey born 1874 but in Liverpool not India (a Newsagent).

Offline Lynn S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hemmum
Thanks for the info on Richard Sabey. I have seen on Ancestry details of one of his half brothers think it was a John Saby Yerrall who got himself into bother so will check this out as well.
Have you got Betsy Sabey in your tree? Have found her on the 1891 census as Betsy Staniford with mother Ruth who is shown as Lucy!!! Staniford.
Cheers Lynn

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 December 11 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn
Yes Betsey is in my tree.
William GUEST aged 20 Bach. (Housepainter) f=William (Shoemaker) and Betsey Sabey aged 19 (no occ. No father named (x)) both living Beckett St. married by banns 14 Aug 1864 at Holy Trinity Church Parish Church Bedford. wit= William PAGE and Ellen YERRALL
Betsey was born in Bedford Union workhouse.
Betsey registered her children as Betsy Sabey Guest.

I have seen Betsey in 1891 born 1847 Bedford =d with father ? James STANIFORD (Retired Sausage Maker) born 1807 Wallgrave w=Lucy 1817 Keysoe Beds living St Pauls Bedford (Betsey mother Ruth 1817 died Ruth STANNIFORD 1898 Bedford 3b pg 167).

I have no idea why Ruth was named as Lucy and assume that she as her mother had married James and Betsey was living with him she was in fact 'Lucy's' daughter not James's. He is not named on her birth or marriage certificate as her father. Ellen YERRAL however was a witness.

I have not found Betsey on the 1861 census. Her future husband William was with his parents living in Beckett Street (the address giving on their marriage certificate 3 years later.

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 December 11 12:56 GMT (UK) »
In the Police Illustrated news I found a couple of other deails about Richard.

We knew that he had been in the army but apparently he received an army pensions (no sure how long he needed to serve) I checked FindMyPast Pension records and he does not appear.

The article also mentions that Richard spoke to a 'neighbour Mrs Peacock, 33, Bridport Street Liverpool and mentions that this was 'caused by Tommy the lodger' so perhaps if he said that Louisa had 'decieved him' then perhaps Richard thought that he was the childs father and perhaps that is why he reacted when he was served with the affiliation order.

The article also said he was a married man with a family the eldest a daughter of fifteen years. It discribes Richard 'of medium build and looks like he might be a collier'

It also mentions that Louisa (the victim) had lived with Richard in Leicester some time before them being in Liverpool. So perhaps you may find Richard there.

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 October 13 13:17 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old topic and at the risk of ‘flogging a dead horse’ I also wonder why Francis Sabey named his first daughter Dinah.

What if
The second Peter son of Peter and Dinah Peter Saby bap 1735 at Roxton Beds married
Mary Hammett 1759 at Gt Stukeley, both otp. Mary was buried at Gt Stukeley on 11 Nov 1764 (no children found)

Then Peter Sabey a widower married Frances Abraham in Gt. Stukeley 1766.
Peter died 1782 Gt Stukely. His wife Frances died 1781 Gt Stukely.
They had two children bap Gt Stukely (only Sabey bapts apart from Joseph 1778 s of Elizabeth)

Peter 1768 (?died 1839 Gt Stukeley married ?? a Francis Harden b abt 1777 (Ancestry Tree). children bap Little Stukeley. Peter 1805, Amey 1808, Ruth 1808, John 1810,)

Joseph 1770

Could Frances born circa 1760-1766 have been born before the second marriage in 1766 which is why he was not baptised until his own marriage? Did Francis name his first daughter after his grandmother Dinah?

Also mentioned

A while ago I looked at another Francis Sabey baptised (1785) at Eaton Socon, Beds, just a couple of miles along the A421, as it was known then, from Roxton. He was the son of Edward & Mary. I've drawn a blank with Edward too, who I assume to have been born c1756, but I can't find a burial for him.

No burial found for Edward but does this help?

Edw. Sabey bap 6 Oct 1751 s of Peter & Eliz.at Roxton Beds
(Edward and Mary's children bapt 1779 -1785 at Eaton Socon)
Did Edward marry?
Edward Sabey married Mary Fisher 11 May 1778 at Godmanchester, Huntingdon, Hunts

Was Edward related to Thomas Sabey (a Shepherd) born 1800 Bolnhurst possibly the s of Francis & Charlotte as Thomas Sabey and Ann Flowers had children bap Francis 1840 and Charlotte 1830 in Godmanchester?

There is also a Peter Seaby s of Thomas and Mary bap 1761 Harrold Beds who married Ann Errington in 1790 at Harold. Perhaps Peter's father was Tho Saby s of Peter and Dinah 1725 at Roxton Beds