Author Topic: Mystery of Notation on a NSW Marriage Certificate - COMPLETED  (Read 13496 times)

Offline jenster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mystery of Notation on a NSW Marriage Certificate - COMPLETED
« on: Monday 07 November 11 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Someone with a greater knowledge of NSW marriage certificates than myself may be able to offer some insight regarding the information recorded on a marriage certificate I have for a deceased relative.  The mc registration number is 1930 / 012162.

The bride’s name is shown as Brenda Ruby VERNON.
The bride’s parents are listed as Norman Thomas VERNON (deceased) and Alma CLARKE (deceased).
The certificate has a notation, dated 11th July, 1932, as follows
“In column 3 for Brenda Ruby Vernon read Brenda Ruby Hanson
“In column 8 for 18 read 17
“For bride’s parentage in column 9 read Norman Victor Hanson (deceased) and Bona Vera Wyatt (deceased)”
The information in the notation is correct.  Brenda Ruby HANSON is the correct birth name, and the parent’s names are correct (as per Brenda Ruby HANSON birth cert I have). 
Under what circumstances are notations of this nature made to certificates?

Brenda Ruby HANSON was orphaned at the age of 8 and she and her siblings were cared for by a family member related to their father.  I have confirmation that this relative had guardianship of Brenda Ruby until the end of 1928.  The mc shows that consent for the bride was given by Arthur Charles Leitch Bayliss being a Guardian of Minors.

I have no idea how the VERNON family relates to the HANSON family.  I can find no connection or association to a family with the surname of VERNON and I have been unable to locate any records for either Norman Thomas VERNON or Alma CLARKE.

The marriage certificate also has many numbers in the notation column, which look like reference numbers, but I do not know to what they refer.  The numbers are:
31/3648
32/10892
40/48650
41/699
42/16420
46/27791
56/7770
P29409/79

Any help with trying to solve some of this mystery will be greatly appreciated.

Jenster
Bulmer, Caller, Hanson, Wyatt

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of Notation on a NSW Marriage Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 November 11 13:43 GMT (UK) »
 ;D 

May I suggest you send an email to the NSW BDM general enquiries about the notation. 

I think you may find that Brenda at some time after her 1930 marriage found that her nee surname was not Vernon but Hanson and perhaps was concerned if the information she had provided in 1930, and now known to be incorrect, would be causing her marriage to be voided.   

I have a NSW mc post WWII where both the bride and the groom discovered that the information they provided at the time of the marriage was incorrect, (wrong fathers, completely different surnames, different dates/places of birth etc) and they both went to the NSW BDM with their respective mothers and sorted it all out.  Their marriage was not voided, but the entry in the NSW BDM Reg Gen's records was amended. 

The earlier information was struck through with a horizontal line (allowing the earlier text to be legible) and the amended information was placed at the side margin and through as much "blank white space" as possible.  It has FIVE NSW BDM Initials, etc.  One of the witnesses and the bride are still living, otherwise I would give more details.

There can be other reasons for notations on m.c.  Hope this helps you  ;)

General Enquiries
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/contactUs.htm

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 11 13:56 GMT (UK) »
The mc shows that consent for the bride was given by Arthur Charles Leitch Bayliss being a Guardian of Minors.

I have no idea how the VERNON family relates to the HANSON family.  I can find no connection or association to a family with the surname of VERNON and I have been unable to locate any records for either Norman Thomas VERNON or Alma CLARKE.

The marriage certificate also has many numbers in the notation column, which look like reference numbers, but I do not know to what they refer.  The numbers are:
31/3648
32/10892
40/48650
41/699
42/16420
46/27791
56/7770
P29409/79

Any help with trying to solve some of this mystery will be greatly appreciated.

Jenster

The numbers most likely refer to other B D M certificates with the two digits before the forward slash being for the year and the digits after that slash being the unique certificate.   At the present time it is not possible to search the BDM online index just by the reference numbers, but I understand NSW BDM is revising their online index, could be this feature will be available sometime in 2012.   If you have the patience and know likely surnames for family associated with Brenda, then perhaps search the online indexes under those surnames and look to compare the reference numbers.

The P29409/79 is for a separate item, "P" being for "Papers" indicating there was some papers (referenced 29409) in 1979.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 November 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
May I ask if Brenda was born in NSW?

thanks Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline jenster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 November 11 22:54 GMT (UK) »
May I ask if Brenda was born in NSW?

Yes, Brenda was born in NSW.

@majm - Thank you for the information you provided.  Family history research breeds patience  ;D  Until index number searches become available I will attempt to associate each of the reference numbers with other family members and events.

Cheers, Jenster
Bulmer, Caller, Hanson, Wyatt

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Are you able to tell us  the name of  the relative who cared for Brenda and her siblings?

Thanks Jenn
HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 01:30 GMT (UK) »
"The numbers most likely refer to other B D M certificates with the two digits before the forward slash being for the year and the digits after that slash being the unique certificate. "

MAJM
I must admit to having a wee bit of a problem with this reasoning as  the ,arriage was in 1930 and the amendment was 1932 if I am reading it correctly

so if  the year is before  the slash ie 40/ etc  to  56/ etc  that would then  haveto pertain to 1840 onwards.  Would those years have any relevance? 
just a thought Jenn
HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenn,

;D

I actually think  :-[  :-[ the amendments were done in 1979, as per P290409/79,  I think the years before the forward slash refer to 20th C dates, but I may well be wrong, which is why I suggested an email to general enquires at bdm  ;D   I could well be mistooken  ;D

PS, It had not occured to me to consider the 19thc, but perhaps they do point that way  :-[  :-[  :-[

Cheers,  JM

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Mmmmmnn

yes it is hard to say I was going on  the information supplied as the amendment being 1932 .

the information  could also be file number relating  to  welfare of the children etc

good advice on contacting  the BDM  they  should at least have some idea

all very interesting. 

HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka