Author Topic: Bogend Farm near Duns, Berwickshire  (Read 9213 times)

Offline LoisK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bogend Farm near Duns, Berwickshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 August 19 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there - Luke is it?

Always good to hear from a cousin.  Would you believe I'd just been going through some of my Jeffrey DNA matches on Ancestry and wondering who they all are when your message came through!

My grandfather was Mathew Davison Jeffrey, son of the second William (b 1851).  Mathew married Christina Gertrude Emily Dames and they lived in Glen Park on the outskirts of Ballarat.  How do you yourself fit into the vast Jeffrey tree?  Considering the comment you made, I'm thinking probably from my grandfather's brother William?  I can see on one of the extensive family trees on Ancestry that they had at least 12 children (one called William of course!).  My grandparents had 16 (but no Williams)!

Last year I visited the areas in Scotland where the Jeffreys and Dicksons came from.  Such a marvellous experience.

Let me know what sort of info you'd like to have and I can see what I've got.

Lois

Offline Lukefinalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 August 19 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there - Luke is it?

Always good to hear from a cousin.  Would you believe I'd just been going through some of my Jeffrey DNA matches on Ancestry and wondering who they all are when your message came through!

My grandfather was Mathew Davison Jeffrey, son of the second William (b 1851).  Mathew married Christina Gertrude Emily Dames and they lived in Glen Park on the outskirts of Ballarat.  How do you yourself fit into the vast Jeffrey tree?  Considering the comment you made, I'm thinking probably from my grandfather's brother William?  I can see on one of the extensive family trees on Ancestry that they had at least 12 children (one called William of course!).  My grandparents had 16 (but no Williams)!

Last year I visited the areas in Scotland where the Jeffreys and Dicksons came from.  Such a marvellous experience.

Lois

Hi Lois

Yes it’s Luke,Luke Jeffrey!

Great to hear from you! So......William Jeffrey & Alice Dickson had children...including a William...who had children including a William! Who had children including a William who....is my Grandfather!

Amongst all that the Second William migrated to Victoria and My Grandfather William was born outside of Ballarat in a place called Bungaree.My Dad born in Ballarat and I myself born in Bendigo,but grew up in Ballarat.

In a twist of fate I am now married and living with my Scottish wife and family on the East coast of Scotland and bogshead farm is just a short drive!

This is all very new to us as the hunt for information has been started by my cousin,the Daughter of my Uncle William! Who has done some good work which we are waiting to receive in the post.At that point I can give you lots more information and would love to hear of all your efforts!

Cheers and look forward to hearing from you

Luke

Offline Lukefinalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 August 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Lois

Have received a very nice book from my cousin filled with all sorts of info about the Jeffrey clan.Including Matthew Davison.....Interestingly enough,my info has Mathews siblings names and but the potential stick in the mud with this is that Mathew died aged 13 according to the info I have(1863-1876) Makes for interesting follow up for your GGG g’ father don’t you think?
Is it a simple as a typo? And if so who’s?Investigators on the case here...

Anyway as I have it William and Alice arrived on the “Tornado” in August 1858 with Alices father,her siblings and their children,including William,my GGG Grandfather the eldest son who’s younger brother Matthew (your GGG)born in Australia in 1863.
Lots of other dates etc including a lovely photo of a watch William was awarded in 1884 for showing the best “Leicester ram” at the Ballarat show along with newspaper excerpt.Are you familiar with a place “Coimadai” which is the farm they were on.

Be great to hear from you and we can cross reference some dates etc and solve the mystery..hopefully!

Hi there - Luke is it?

Lois

Hi Lois

Yes it’s Luke,Luke Jeffrey!

Great to hear from you! So......William Jeffrey & Alice Dickson had children...including a William...who had children including a William! Who had children including a William who....is my Grandfather!

Amongst all that the Second William migrated to Victoria and My Grandfather William was born outside of Ballarat in a place called Bungaree.My Dad born in Ballarat and I myself born in Bendigo,but grew up in Ballarat.

In a twist of fate I am now married and living with my Scottish wife and family on the East coast of Scotland and bogshead farm is just a short drive!

This is all very new to us as the hunt for information has been started by my cousin,the Daughter of my Uncle William! Who has done some good work which we are waiting to receive in the post.At that point I can give you lots more information and would love to hear of all your efforts!

Cheers and look forward to hearing from you

Luke

Offline LoisK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 September 19 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Luke,

Here I am, finally - I haven't forgotten you.  Thanks for your last two messages - that's amazing that you're now living a short distance from Bogend Farm.  Did you know that's where your ancestors were from before you moved there? 

As I mentioned, I drove all around that area last year, leaping around ancient graveyards searching for ancestral headstones, and one of my exciting finds was the grave of our 4x and 5xgrt grandparents George Dickson & Jane Mosman.  The headstone is barely legible, if at all, but the inscription (and photo) can be found on the Lennel Cemetery page of the Coldstream History Society website (God bless them for their great work): 

"Lennel Kirkyard
Middle – Row 21 – 12 – Dixon/Yule/Mosman/Dickson/Pringle
Transcription:
Sacred to the memory of JANE DIXON wife of WILLIAM YULE who died 10 December 1874 in her 74th year. (On the rear, which is unreadable) In memory of JANE PRINGLE spouse to GEORGE DICKSON died 26 August 1795 aged 28 years. Also MARGARET daughter died 8 June 1810 aged 12 years. Also GEORGE DICKSON died 17 February 1829 aged 71 years. Also his wife JANE MOSMAN died 18 August 1839 aged 80 years."

The grave was very hard to find but I persisted (in blustery heat would you believe).  If you ever go there and are unable to find it, let me know and I can send you a little video I took the day I was there which might help you find it.  Lennel Cemetery is just outside the town of Coldstream.

Sounds like you've caught the family history bug from your cousin!  Once you start there's no looking back (or perhaps I should say looking back is all you do!).  It gets confusing when you come across so many ancestors with the same names, such as with Matthew Davison Jeffrey 1863-1876.  He was the son of William Jeffrey & Alice Dickson and died of scarlet fever.  Four years later their son William & wife Mary Ann Lloyd named their second son Matthew Davison Jeffrey 1880-1947 (my grandfather).  Sadly, William & Alice also lost two of their young daughters, Alice & Barbara, who died of diphtheria two days apart in 1862.  By the way, in case you ever wonder, THE Matthew Davison was Jane Dickson's husband.  They came on the ship with the rest of the family but never had children.

Yes, I've seen the name Coimadai which is part of Bacchus Marsh where William & Alice and family lived on a property called Glencairn.  I once visited the Bacchus Marsh Historical Society where I photocopied a bunch of documents and articles about the Jeffrey/Dickson families (I don't remember a picture of the watch though).  Lots of Jeffrey/Dickson graves can be found at Maddingley Cemetery, BM.  I've also seen some excellent family trees on Ancestry if you ever have access, some of them with photos of people attached too.  Subscriptions are rather expensive but usually free to access in libraries.  Does your book contain any pictures of William & Alice?  If not, I can send you some if you like.

Email me - lois 'at' rabbit 'dot' com 'dot' au - if you're interested in any particular documents that I may have and can send you.

Cheers,
Lois