Author Topic: Templeglantine (old) cemetery look up  (Read 4970 times)

Offline MALLA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Templeglantine (old) cemetery look up
« on: Tuesday 08 November 11 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone live in the area of the above cemetery who could walk thru and check for Ellen Long died 1926....It would be most appreciated

MALLA

Offline breenbyrne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Templeglantine (old) cemetery look up
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 00:14 BST (UK) »
Malla, are you still looking for this?  I'll be down that way next wk and can check it out for you.
Brady - Rathmines & Terenure, Dublin
Breen - Laois
Byrne - Rathmines, Dublin
Griffin - Listowel, Kerry, Wales & USA
Hall - Rathfarnham, Dublin
Hegarty - Listowel, Kerry
Hickey - Listowel, Kerry and poss USA
Kennedy - Terenure & Rathmines, Dublin & Dunlavin, Co Wicklow
McKenna - Laois
Quill - Listowel, Kerry
Shepherd -Warrington, UK
Green - Warrington, UK

Offline MALLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 May 12 21:03 BST (UK) »
I am so disappointed... I missed my emails for a few weeks.....I found yours today........Yes I am still looking for Ellen Long......ah well....Thank you so much for the offer......If you are in the area agin sometime   can you take a look for me   Thank you   Malla :-[

Offline breenbyrne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 18:28 BST (UK) »
Malla, finally got there!   Hope this is your Ellen!  I thought I may have a bit of a search but could see a Long headstone a I drove up.  I couldn't find one where she was actually interred - there are several unmarked plots and others with just iron crosses on them.
Breen - Laois
McKenna - Laois
Quill - Listowel, Kerry
Shepherd -Warrington, UK
Green - Warrington, UK

Offline MALLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
Well, what a great surprise for me today....I have taken this day off from work....
and having my coffee and.....wow...........
Yes indeed this is the family....Where it says his mother Ellen is also buried in this
cemetery....That is Ellen who died so much earlier than her husband William.
I do not know why the family did not try to find out where in the same cemetery
she could be.... I am sure they would not have ente :Dred the end part unless they had been told specifically.  Wouldn't the priest have a ledger to state the location even if there was no burial stone.....I know it was long ago......I will tell my  friend of this news and show him the picture of the stone.....What a find....I sure
thank you for taking the time to do this for me.......Your kindness is most appreciated

Offline breenbyrne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 12 19:42 BST (UK) »
Malla, they could well have known but I couldn't locate it in the time that I had there.  Say they had known, realistically this was the only way of acknowledging her enterment on her extended family's headstone. 
I know that when we tried to locate the grave where my ggparents were buried, about 10 miles from Templeglantine, in Duagh Co Kerry, we couldn't pin down where their grave was and they were buried 15 yrs after Ellen.  All we knew was that they were buried close to the back wall of the cemetery...however it has been extended 3 times so no-one knows exactly where the old back wall was! 
Glad to be able to help!
Breen - Laois
McKenna - Laois
Quill - Listowel, Kerry
Shepherd -Warrington, UK
Green - Warrington, UK

Offline AKJonesy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 September 18 06:00 BST (UK) »
I know this is a very old post.  But, just in case it might be seen again by the original posters, or others that may have an answer...the woman being referenced in this thread, Ellen Long was my great-aunt, Ellen O'Keefe Long.  She died 21 Mar 1926.  I'd sure like to know if the original poster is a relative. 

I have a few questions surrounding this post and just in general.  I am wondering how it was determined where this family headstone was located?  That is, how did the person taking the photo know where to look?  In the US, if I were to request a photo of a headstone, I would need to know the Lot, Plot, Block etc.  Then the person taking the photo would have a reference to go and find the gravestone.

Since I am unable to travel to my ancestors graveyards, I would like to have photos taken.  But, how do I go about finding where their graves are located?  I don't mean just in this graveyard, but any in County Limerick.  I came upon this graveyard just by chance.  I had no documents that referenced any particular graveyard.  I originally found reference to the Long Family in historicgraves.com. There is a site called Find A Grave, and I am not saying that I am fond of it by any means.  But, in the US and other places, I can go on that website request a photo of a headstone.  I do have to know where the person is buried and I have to provide a Lot, Plot, Grave # etc which is usually provided by the church, a historic society, etc. 

I realize that my question may go unanswered here, and I may have to re-post at least part of my question on another forum board.  If there is anyone out there who can provide an answer, or advise where I may find an answer, I'd appreciate it.  It is obvious that I am new to this forum, and I am just try to get acquainted with how it works.  Thanks.  Karen Jones 
Keeffe, O'Keeffe, O'Keefe, Templeglantine, Co. Limerick
Horgan, Horrigan, Templeglantine/Tournafulla? Co. Limerick
Brennan, Fallon, Morgan, Keogh, Kelly, Co. Roscommon