Author Topic: John Basaraba 1897d completed  (Read 4446 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Basaraba 1897d
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 November 11 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Paroska BASSARAB  born 1900 to Fedora MUSINSKI ( In other words, also use the "sounds like" feature on the site)  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 November 11 17:40 GMT (UK) »
at the automated genealogy site if you put in the surname and then look at alternate spellings and click on them, then merge, it will bring up several names with similar spelling. There is a Parasko and Paraska, one in Gimli and the other in Gilbert Plains. There are also a Simon, Stefan, Symon. You can also check for names that could be mispelled by clicking on Selkirk and then on the starting letter of the surname and look for all the spellings in that way. It can be time consuming but it is important to realize that the enumerators often spelled names as they sounded as many immigrants didn't speak or write English. I have friends from both Gimli and Gilbert Plains and it was not unusual for younger immigrants to change to more common first names. As far as I know Gimli still celebrates its Ukrainian culture so contacting the local library may be something to consider.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 November 11 17:56 GMT (UK) »
http://communities.ukrainiangenealogygroup-pei.org

gives links to sites for ukrainian genealogy

Spruce, Swamp & Stone, A History of the Pioneer Ukrainian Settlements in the Gimli Area by Michael Ewanchuk
This may be available at the local library. There is an email attached to this book.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Please note that there is a separate thread for Catherine Lupichuk posted here:
 http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=566621.msg4191246
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline nicholejoyann

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: John Basaraba 1897d completed
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 September 20 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I stumbled upon this forum after doing some research about my family history! I realize this post is years old. However, I thought i'd introduce myself and help if I could... I am the great granddaughter of Nick Basaraba and Annie Kuz. If you think I could provide any information helpful to you.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Basaraba 1897d completed
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 September 20 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hello and a very warm welcome to RootsChat  :)

I am not related. I just would like to tell you that you should remove your email address from this very public website to prevent spammers from accessing it. There is a private message (PM) system here that you can use to exchange emails and other private info. You need to make 3 posts to use this system.....just to say "Hello" a couple of times would suffice. To delete the email click on modify on the post, delete it, then click save.

A bit about guidelines for posting here...

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123033.msg375038.html#msg375038

Regards
polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada