Author Topic: Edward Hill - runaway father...  (Read 4589 times)

Offline meggiemoo3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Hill - runaway father...
« on: Wednesday 09 November 11 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to locate an Edward Hill but its proving to be a needle in a haystack affair.

My great great grandmother, Sarah Jane Lambert was born in March 1847 in Holbeach, Lincolnshire. Her mother is Modesty Lambert. The father's name is on the birth certificate and he is listed as Edward Hill and a labourer. This is all the information that I have on him - told you it was a needle in a haystack ;D

However I do have one other piece of information that seems to be too much of a coincedence to dismiss and this is where I need your help. In the 1851 Census, Modesty and her daughter, now being called Jane are visiting a family called Tukes (?) in Gedney Dyke, Lincolnshire. The next door neighbours have the surname HILL. Now the head of the house is a Luke Hill, born Tydd Gote, Cambridgeshire, aged 37 and a fisherman. I think I have found him in 1841, living in Gedney, Lincolnshire with his mother and brother. I believe that he was baptised in Tydd St Mary and his parents were Joseph Henry Hill (born Tydd St Giles) and Susannah Simpson.

This is where my trail stops so I do not know whether they are related to Edward and was wondering whether anyone could help me find out who Edward might be. Do you have HILL descendents that sound like the above? I don't think that Edward is a brother of Luke but maybe a cousin?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Taylor - Lincs
Jackson - Lincs
Burrows - Norfolk
Ambrose - Norfolk

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Hill - runaway father...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 16:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a lot of info for Tydd St Giles on FreeREG. There is an Edward Hill born 1813 in Bourn Lincolnshire, don't know how far that is from Holbeach. I didn't know there was a Bourn in Lincolnshire, but there is one in Cambridgshire.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Not far away. However, it is usually spelt Bourne now, but at that time standardised spelling was in its infancy, and place names' spellings do change. My late uncle who was a postman always spelt Wisbech as Wisbeach, which surprised me until I found that it had been written that way in the 19th/early 20th centuries. So Bourne might well be similar.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline meggiemoo3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 11 10:59 GMT (UK) »
There is a lot of info for Tydd St Giles on FreeREG. There is an Edward Hill born 1813 in Bourn Lincolnshire, don't know how far that is from Holbeach. I didn't know there was a Bourn in Lincolnshire, but there is one in Cambridgshire.
regards.

Thank you - Bourne is about 20 miles or so from Holbeach so could be a possibility.

I've also found an Edward Hill born in 1816 in Wisbech St Peter and in 1841 is resident in Leverington - now its a while since I was that way but if I remember correctly Leverington isn't too far from Tydd St Giles?

I don't have access to census records so I wonder if someone could do a census look up for me in 1841 and see who else is living with Edward at the time. I guess by 1841 he's going to be about 25.

Also I was wondering if anyone could check and see if they could find a parentage of Joseph Henry Hill from Tydd St Giles? Now off to check out FreeREG to see what I can find.
Taylor - Lincs
Jackson - Lincs
Burrows - Norfolk
Ambrose - Norfolk

Offline meggiemoo3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 November 11 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - not living in Leverington - wrong Edward Hill!!! He's still living in Wisbech St Peter in 1841.
Taylor - Lincs
Jackson - Lincs
Burrows - Norfolk
Ambrose - Norfolk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 November 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget " Lincstothepast" for registers on the Lincolnshire side of the ditch.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline meggiemoo3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 November 11 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget " Lincstothepast" for registers on the Lincolnshire side of the ditch.

Thanks - use that site a lot and has provided me with loads of info!!!

I can't seem to find anything that points to Edward Hill in born - can anyone give me the link please?
Taylor - Lincs
Jackson - Lincs
Burrows - Norfolk
Ambrose - Norfolk

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 November 11 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I found him on the 1851 census living in Bourne, but now I have actually opened it up, he wasn't born there, so I guess he isn't the one you are looking for.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 November 11 17:31 GMT (UK) »
That's two eliminated, however if you have access Edward Hill b1813 should be findable in the 851 census, a process of elimination and no doubt as there always are when searching there will be a lot! Look on the bright side, at least his name isn't Smith! :)