Author Topic: Lawrence Ellison, Soldier d. 1845  (Read 532 times)

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lawrence Ellison, Soldier d. 1845
« on: Wednesday 09 November 11 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I wonder if anyone could assist me in regard to records of Lawrence Ellison who was a Soldier in Manchester and possibly Portsea, Portsmouth, Hampshire.

We are trying to trace any army records that may be available, as there is a considerable gap in his life for a period of time .     Lawrence Ellison was possibly born around 1800, he married Judith Clayton in 1820 at Manchester, Lancashire and he had 5 children born there.     1841 census shows his wife Judith as now living and working in the Manchester Workhouse, no sign of Lawrence at all right through to her death in 1882, when she was aged 82 years.
However, we've been able to determine that possibly Lawrence had another daughter Maria b. 1836 at Portsmouth, and we have found a death for a Lawrence Ellison at Portsea, Portsmouth in 1845.

We believe that there was an army presence in Portsmouth, though mainly it was a naval town.

If anyone could assist me at all to find any army records etc. for Manchester and Portsmouth, would really appreciate that.

Regards

Jan

New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire