Author Topic: Emily MATTHEWS birth?  (Read 28136 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Emily MATTHEWS birth?
« on: Thursday 10 November 11 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am posting this for a friend who cannot find any information about her Grandmothers birth.

Emily Matthews married Thomas Oswald Hayes in April 1918 at Cowra NSW. We do not need any information about this couple after their marriage, they had 8 children, 3 of whom are still living.

Emily and Thomas were married in the Church of England Cowra, by John Parr, Officiating Minister, witnesses were Annie Parr and Ethel Peterson.

Thomas was a farmer of Grenfell, parents Patrick Hayes and Norah Mary Castles, born at Nyngan age 26.

Emily Matthews was 19 years old, occupation, private life, of Grenfell NSW, born at Chiltern Vic. Parents Arthur Matthews, deceased and Annie, nee Rowe. The consent of the brides mother Annie Stokes was given in writing for the marriage.

We cannot find a birth for Emily, or any marriages that fit for Arthur Matthews and Annie Rowe, or another marriage for Annie to Stokes after Arthur Matthews death, date and place unknown.

Any ideas?

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Matthews birth?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 11 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mum Mum,

I will try to find MATTHEWS/ ROWE/ STOKES in Cowra and surrounds in 1913.

EDIT 1 
NSW ER 1913 LACHLAN oops, it was  ::) LYNDHURST polling at Cowra ALL for Stokes
Mary Ann Keswick-street domestic duties,
Agnes Jane F Brisbane-street domestic duties
Stokes Marion Elsie Brisbane-street domestic duties
Mary Helen F Brisbane-street domestic duties
William Ashman, Brisbane-street financial agent

EDIT 2, SAME roll, polling at Morongla Creek
Arthur Stokes, labourer   (none surnamed Rowe at this polling place)

Edit 3 This could be Emily's Mum
NSW ER 1913, LYNDHURST, polling at Woodstock.
Annie STOKES, of Woodstock, domestic duties
Daniel STOKES, of Woodstock, railway night officer
Ethel Grose STOKES, of Woodstock, domestic duties.
(none surnamed ROWE, MATTHEWS (or variations)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 11 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I will see what shows up for Annie and Daniel Stokes.
mum mum

Daniel Stokes married Ethel G Tucker at Cowra in 1910. Annie could be his stepmother though?
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 11 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not that Daniel Stokes, it looks like he was born1883 at Carcoa, parents George and Annie.

A couple more thoughts, Emily may have had a sister Catherine or Katherine, my friends mother remembered a photo said to be of Emily's sister.

Emily was also thought to be educated and played piano.

Emily died in 1936, I must find out if she left a will or what happened to her property, the children didn't get it or the husband who died at the same time.

mum mum

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 November 11 01:52 GMT (UK) »
agh ... so that Annie Stokes would most likely be Daniel's mum and the Ethel was Daniel's wife.

::) I will pull thinking cap down harder.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 November 11 02:36 GMT (UK) »
These are births I can see on the VIC index, they might be worth investigating further  :)

MATTHEWS Emily Jane b. 1900 RUTHERGLEN #21999
Father: Edward Charles
Mother: Elizabeth Ann ROWLANDS

MATTHEWS Arthur Ernest 1896 CHILTERN #18638
Father: Edward
Mother: Elizabeth Ann ROWLANDS

MATTHEWS Eliz Ann 1894 CHILTERN #19317
Father: Edwd
Mother: Eliz Ann ROWLANDS

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 November 11 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Merlin,
These births had been suggested to my friend by somebody else, she seems sure the name was Rowe. I'm not so sure.
I just looked for a marriage for that couple but can't seem to find anything in Vic, I better try NSW.

mum mum

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 November 11 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, perhaps mum left dad & dropped the Elizabeth, shortened her surname & took up with a Mr Stokes, stranger things have happened  ;D

Considering this is an Emily Matthews born right year & area you are looking for with a brother named Arthur is why I suggested it  ;)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 November 11 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, just considering that myself, perhaps Dad left and Mum found another man, we had already thought that was possible as there is no remarriage.

Now, why can't I find the first marriage? I may get my friend to buy the birth certificate to see what it tells us.
mum mum