Author Topic: Emily MATTHEWS birth?  (Read 28131 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Emily MATTHEWS birth?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 11 November 11 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

It is possible that Annie Stokes was present at the wedding.  May I explain (I will try to avoid long post but  ::)  :-X )

Emily's father is deceased, and Emily, being a minor needs consent to marry.  The Rev applies his interpretation to both the Church and the Civil Laws prevailing at that time, and thus he determines that he needs her mother's consent IN WRITING, as the mother is (sorry this is reflecting the then prevailing practices) 'only a female, and has been married twice over' 

It is also possible that the clergyman insisted on the information about Emily's parentage be provided to him by Annie rather than by Emily, simply because she was still a minor and thus in a legal sense she was not yet old enough to be heard.

I am wondering about the Stock and Station Agent in Cowra, in 1917 ... the W A Stokes.  ... that 'occupation' is one associated with 'wealth'   ::)  and also about the Shire President, the F Rowlands... or the auctioneer, George Rowe. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 11 November 11 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Okay... while I go & eat my dinner that my beautiful hubby has cooked  :-*

You all might like to have a read of this very large file at the NAA on Arthur Ernest STOAKES/STOKES aka MATTHEWS  :o

STOAKES Arthur Ernest : Service Number - 6632 : Place of Birth - Wangaratta VIC
Place of Enlistment - Cootamundra NSW : Next of Kin - (Mother) STOAKES Elizabeth Ann

If you look at the NSW BDM his sister Elizabeth MATTHEWS married Edward CORE.

Back later  ;)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 11 November 11 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you thank you, that looks to be the missing link. I was trying to look for him as Matthews and having no luck on the electoral rolls or marriages. That was the next step.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 11 November 11 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Page 9

Mother,  Mrs A E Stockes, Grenfell.
Sister, Mrs Elizabeth Core, Vaux St Cowra

Page 47   NSW Govt Railways and Tramways
D o B  21 Aug 1895

Page 57
Mrs A E Stokes, at Grenfell, 6 Sept 1922

Page 66
An investigation by the OIC, Headquarters Training Area 56C, Drill Hall YOUNG ...  "parents separated when children were very young, and they were reared by the State in Victoria, none of the family knew anything of their parents .... "  

Page 89
Memorial Scroll, to his Mother, Mrs A W Stoakes, 23 March 1923  

Very confusing AIF file, I didn't notice any mention of MATTHEWS, but I may have missed it.  

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 11 November 11 09:29 GMT (UK) »
NSW ER 1913   COOTAMUNDRA, polling at Junee
NONE surnamed Matthews, Stoakes, Stokes.

NSW ER 1913 LYNDHURST, polling at Cowra
Edward Clarence CORE, of Cowra, trainer  (re page 66 the Drill Hall OIC's investigations)

Cheers,  JM

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 11 November 11 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes very confusing reading, but do you agree that the mother Annie Elizabeth Stokes ties Arthur Ernest to Emily Hayes?
That Emily Hayes was Emily Jane Matthews, with a sister Elizabeth and brother Arthur Ernest.

I don't think anything about this family is goind to be simple, they don't seem to have convenient marriaged records and deaths of spouses to help us track them down do they.

The army records say that Elizabeths mother in law said the children were raised by the state and had no knowledge of their parents but iit is obvious that Emily and Arthur both knew their mother. Emily when she married knew who her mother was and arthur listed her as his next of kin the first time he enlisted. He was also using the name Stoakes, not Matthews.

At least now I have something to pass on to Emily's Granddaughter.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 11 November 11 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I do think that Merlin's find is opening a big crack in the brickwall, and I agree that Emily and Arthur both seem to know their mother.  The b.c. that Merlin found for the birth in 1906 of Frank Gordon Matthews may well be a wise penny spend.  Emily would have been around 6 years of age, and Arthur around 11 at that time.   

I am sure this crack will open wider, and the mortar will collapse... but as to when ... well there may need to be lots more brain storming, or the jigsaw could just assemble itself without any ado at all.

However, I feel that Emily's Grand-daughter will appreciate what has been found so far, and that it gives her reason to continue to hope.  I feel sure you will know the good words to slowly move forward through each piece of information as it unravels.

Cheers,  JM 

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 11 November 11 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Edward Stoakes brother of Arthur gets a mention in one of the letters stating that he is said to be working at the Meat works in Echuca.

Then we have another very large file at the NAA on Edward CORE, KIA who was husband to Elizabeth MATTHEWS.

Some interesting reading in there also  ;)

CORE Edward Clarance : SERN 66196/2765 : POB Cowra NSW : POE Dubbo NSW : NOK M Core Mary

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 11 November 11 11:08 GMT (UK) »
And there's a file NOT yet digitised for

1917- 1917 Edward Clarence Pullen CORE;  25; Cowra NSW, its barcode is 6522559

His eldest son Master W H Core received the Memorial Scoll and the Memorial Plaque. 

Cheers, JM