Author Topic: Bank house 203 Blackburn road haslingdn  (Read 9956 times)

Offline Curious George

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bank house 203 Blackburn road haslingdn
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 November 11 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your very kind help and research.

However I am still a little confused. The house I am buying, Bank House was built in 1840 I believe. The mill owner that owned it originally, owned the mill across the road from it. The mill is still there as you can see it from the front window of the house.
I don,t know what this mill is called though, and I,m sure that this would help me with my investigations.
I think that the family may have been called Parkinson, as this is what the current owner has told me
I am just really intrigued about this beautiful house and would love to know the history of it, see old picture of it and the families that resided there etc.

And yes, I do believe it to be a haunted property (but I only found this out after I proceeded to purchase it!). I believe there was a television documentary made about the house in the 1980's regarding the hauntings.

This is also a reason for why I want to find out any history of his house

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 November 11 00:39 GMT (UK) »
The mill you can see from the bypass? That's Britannia Mill. My book on Rossendale mills tells me that was built by a Hargreaves family 1855-1856.

That said there was also a Barnes Mill (bottom of barnes st now and now a glorified car park cum scrapyard - built by a Barnes family) and a Carr Mill (built 1824-45 by John Moss of Manchester) an Albert Mill (built 1859 by Halstead and Anderton) and a Victoria Mill (built 1854 by the ancient order of foresters - leased to a stott family) all next door to each other (at various points in time!) also in the area.
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 November 11 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This is the 1891 census for Bank House, Blackburn Road, Haslingden
Listed between 201 and 205 Blackburn Road

Richard Parkinson, Head, married, 60, Wholesale Draper, Haslingden
Ellen, Wife, Mar, 46, Manchester
Thomas, Son, 23, Wholesale Draper, Haslingden
Ada, Daur, 18, Pupil Teacher, Haslingden
Fanny, Daur, 14, Scholar, Haslingden

Ellen and family were still living there in 1901 and just Thomas and his sisters in the later census.  In 1901 Thomas was listed as a Print Waste Merchant. In the 1881 census they were living at 163 Blackburn Road, Haslingden.  There does not appear to be a 203 or Bank House on Blackburn Road  listed in 1881.

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Curious George

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 November 11 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you once again for your help.

I think I need to do some more groundwork, as to what mill was owned by the family, and indeed what the original family were called etc etc.

But any more info is appreciated.

Offline Footo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 November 11 00:34 GMT (UK) »
The area is Holden Vale where Haslingden train station used to be. BashLad is right with his list of mills in that area some details can be found on this document  http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/environment/documents/historictowns/HaslingdenComplete_LowRes.pdf
pages 22,23 and 25 (actual page no's) - page 23 has a picture of the area and on page 25 in the section about other industries it states that Blackburn Rd was called New Road prior to 1891 which you can see on the old maps of the area.

You might also consider asking on Rossendale online in the history/expats section - I've always found them to be full of info and very helpful about the area  http://www.rossendaleonline.co.uk/forum_index.php
Meehan - Sligo and Manchester
Currell - Princes Risborough and Manchester
Gee - Congleton, Salford and Manchester
Withers - Hornby, Manchester and Salford
Dodd - Congleton, Salford and Manchester

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 November 11 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if I have given details of the "wrong" Bank House. Hopefully you will have more information from the old deeds once the sale is complete.

This blog has some photos of the area:
http://haslingdens.blogspot.com/2008_11_01_archive.html

Richard and Ellen Parkinson and family were also listed at Blackburn Road in 1871
RG10 Piece 4140 Folio 77 Page 6

There's a map of 1890s Haslingen here (Bank House area of Blackburn Road at top right of map):
http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/environment/oldmap/towns/hasling/hasling.jpg

Best wishes
Morgan

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Apparently it's known  for having a poltergeist and there's been various articles about it in the free press over the years.  ;D
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.

Offline mtbadger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bank house 203 Blackburn road haslingdn
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 March 12 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi George. I have stumbled across your post quite by accident. Have you found out any more about the property you have purchased? and have you moved in yet? I have come across some interesting information in a book, regarding the hauntings of the property.

Offline Bank house

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 May 12 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am the current owner of Bank House and am very intrigued by your post, would love to know more about it's history and the hauntings..