Author Topic: Ukraine, Dnepropetrovsk  (Read 5309 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: Ukraine, Dnepropetrovsk
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 November 11 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I know the Martynuk family was very involved in government and held some influence in Zbaraz. I believe they originated in Austria. (or so my grandfather can remember but he is 92 years old so sometimes his facts are confusing).

The Sosnicki family was Russian Orthodox according to my grandfather. He also sometimes says they were Greek orthodox. Not sure if this is the same thing.

Borders changed so much at this time in the Galacian region. On the family's passport it says they are Polish and left from the village of Czernichowce . Yet their naturalization records say Austrian but they always say Zbaraz. My grandfather always identified himself as Ukrainian.

I will send you a personal message with their passport from the Ukraine . I cannot read it but maybe it will give you some clues.

I have heard that the Ternopil archives are hard to work with.. and have never attempted to look into assistance frm them due to the language barrier.

Thank you! Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I have attached the passport images which may help you. I cannot read them but got them from a relative.  If you could translate what Ilko Sosnicki's passport says i would be very grateful.

Thanks! Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 01:07 GMT (UK) »
page 2 of passport

Offline ALW2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 March 14 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  I am looking for information about my Grandfather or Greatgrandfather who were from Dnepropetrovsk. We are unsure of the spelling of there given surnames because when they moved out of the region.  We think it is spelled Zelotkovsky, Zelotkofsky or Selotkovsky....something like that. My great- grandfather's name was Issac or Yitchak (born in 1873) and my grandfather's name was Samuel or Shmul (he was born in 1904).  My great- Grandmother's last name was Chaya Sara or Ida Lutsky (born in 1877) and was also from the same region. Do you have access to any information regarding these last names?  Thank you so much for your help!

Offline Alex017

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Kathryna HORCHEHA (my grandfather is not sure how to spell her name, he only knew how it sounded). 
I think it might have been Горчиха (Horchiha/Gorchiha), Gorczycha in Polish.