Author Topic: Amelia (Jane?) Holman - Alderney  (Read 4150 times)

Offline Bo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Amelia (Jane?) Holman - Alderney
« on: Friday 11 November 11 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I'm trying to find the marriage records of Amelia Holman to William Gosen.  Amelia was born Alderney about 1853 and she appears in the Welsh census 1881/1891.  I can't seem to find any marriage record for either area so I don't know if they met and married elsewhere.

William is 'not at home' on the 1881 census and Amelia seems to be living with someone else in 1891 census.

Any help much appreciated  :)

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: Amelia (Jane?) Holman - Alderney
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 11 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Thought I'd forage around for you and see if I could find anything of help.

1881 Census, William Gosen born Canada, aged 36 B 1845, Lodging in Glamorgan Wales with the Boulton Family.  Status as married. Occupation General Labourer

1881 Census Amelia J Gosen born Alderney aged 28 B 1853, Children Caroline (7), William (6) Agnes (2) and Elizabeth Gosen (11 mths)

It was not uncommon for husband and wife to be living apart at times.  I've found it on a few of my ancestral records.  It was usually for work purposes and they were not far from one another.

I think William Gosen must have died sometime after 1882 (Youngest child George born in 1882) and prior to 1891 but can locate no death or burial notice on Free BMD or Ancestry UK

1891 Census in Wales, Amelia is with Richard Saunders.  Her children Agnes and Elizabeth who were 'Gosen' on the 1881 Census are now named Saunders. (When they marry they are Gosen's so most likely a transcript error naming them as Saunders on that Census)

*on Free BMD the surname is Saunders rather than Sanders which appears on the 1891 Census

William Gosen is living with them and is still Gosen.  Caroline Gosen is a servant elsewhere in Wales at the time of this Census.  (Caroline's place of birth on the 1891 Census is given as Portsmouth Hampshire although the 1881 states Bedwelty Wales)

There is another child George Saunders Born 1882 on the 1891 Census.

From Free BMD (4 children born in Bedwelty Monmouthshire and 1 Merthyr Tydfil)
William Frederick Gosen Born Q2 1875 Bedwelty
Louisa Mabel Gosen Born Q1 1877 Bedwelty  Died Q2 1878 Bedwelty
Agnes Gosen Born Q3 1878 Bedwelty
Elizabeth Gosen Born Q3 1880 Bedwelty
George Edward Gosen Born Q2 1882 Merthyr Tydfil

I could not find the birth on Free BMD of Caroline Gosen who was born in 1874

Amelia Jane Gosen married Richard Saunders Q4 1896 Bedwelty Monmouthshire

Amelia Jane Saunders nee Gosen Died Q1 1900 Pontypridd District aged 46 years

I have searched far and wide for the marriage of Amelia Holman to William Gosen.  I was not able to find either on the 1871 Census, infact the 1881 Census is the only Census where I've found William Gosen.

Could they have met in Canada and married there?  Or possibly in Hampshire (where eldest child Caroline was born in 1874)

Marriages (All per Free BMD)
Caroline Gosen - no information on her after 1891 Census
William Frederick Gosen - Did not marry (Still single at 1911 Census)
He Died Q4 1918 Pontypridd District aged 43 years
Agnes Gosen married David Roach Q3 1898 Pontypridd District
Elizabeth Gosen married Joseph Hodges Q3 1906 Pontypridd District
George Edward Gosen married Blodwen May Harris Q4 1906 Pontypridd District

Useful link on Gosen's in Wales Section for cross reference

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,353768.0.html
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline Bo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Amelia (Jane?) Holman - Alderney
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 11 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Historyfan...first of all my apologies for late response.

You have gone to a lot of trouble and i appreciate all your efforts.  I have most of what you have apart from a few details i shall need to follow up. For instance, I have an Amelia Caroline Gosen born Bedwelty 1874, I seem to have missed the 1991 census that states her birth as Hampshire.  That could be a positive lead.  However, I maybe should spread my search as far as Canada.  I have a feeling Amelia may have had a sister marry in Canada.  This is something I will look into further.

I think the link you gave me is my original post on the Wales board.  I thought, by trying the Channel Islands, someone may have been able to help me.  Many thanks for all your help/suggestions.  If I find anything new I will post again. 

Many thanks
Bo :)