Author Topic: BARKER family from Suffolk  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Flosse

• RootsChat Member
  • The world is your oyster. . . .
    • View Profile
BARKER family from Suffolk
« on: Friday 11 November 11 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Seeking any information on George Robert Barker, b. c1872 Burton on Trent.

In 1891 he is living with his parents, Robert and Hannah in Lowestoft
He marries Emily Selina Moore on 1st Aug 1897 in Suffolk.
1in 1901 he is living in Victoria Road, Carlton Colville, Lowestoft with his wife and his occupation is a General Labourer.
In 1911, they are found at 4, Short Street, Lowestoft with children George Henry(b.1902), Robert (b.1906) and Frank Ronald (b.1908), all of whom were born in Kirkley.

He serves in the First World war with the Royal Engineer Pioneers, 8th Labour Battalion and his address remains as 4 Short Street, Lowestoft.

In 1920, they live at Colville Road and in 1925, Emily Barker dies and is buried at Kirkley cemetery, Lowestoft.  George Barker is then listed as an absent voter in 1926 (military) at this address although his son, George is 23 and remains at the address.

From then no further trace can be found of George Robert Barker.  We have searched Kirkley cemetery records with no joy.  Can anyone help us to find out what happened to him?

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this.
Best wishes
Flosse.
Davis, Wild, Smart, Richardson, Chambers, Taylor, Biggerstaff, Gibney

Offline William B

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BARKER family from Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 12 09:39 BST (UK) »

Hi Flosse

I came across your request for info on George Robert Barker a few weeks ago and wondered if he was connected to my Great Grandfather, William Barker, who had a brother called Robert. Robert married a lady called Hannah and my Mother remembers visiting them in Kirkley.
If this sounds feasible it's likely that my Grandmother, Alice,was George's cousin. If this is of any interest to you I can probably find out more specific information and I presume you can reply through this site, which I've joined today in order to reply to you.

Hope to hear from you soon!