Author Topic: Martha BULLEY  (Read 3448 times)

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha BULLEY
« on: Friday 11 November 11 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the parents of Martha Bulley (or Buley) born 1801 in Great Amwell. She married George Eva at St Mary's Church Islington on 19th August 1820. I have found the marriage of a Joseph Bulley and Phebe Holwood (Horwood) in Great Amwell in 1801 but the only baptism I can find is for a Charlotte Bulley in 1804. Apparently there was a fire at the church at some time and some of the registers were damaged. I have contacted HALS but a search is quite expensive when you don't know how long it will take. Martha had at least 9 children and there was a Joseph, a Phebe and an Elizabeth Charlotte so perhaps there is a connection.
Martha is the 3x great-grandmother of my husband and she died in Islington in 1862.
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline IainHB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Martha BULLEY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 February 19 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My name is Iain Bulley, I live in Hertfordshire.
I have researched the Bulley family in Hertfordshire/London (many months at HALS) and both Martha Bulley and Phoebe Holwood are definitely in my family tree.
I just picked up your rootschat post when googling Bulley entries to see if there was any new info.

I'll send you a more comprehensive report of that ancestry line over the weekend.

Regards

Iain

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 19 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. Since I posted I have done some more research and had some information from HALS as I couldn't visit myself. Looking forward to seeing your report.
Regards
Pauline
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.

Offline Lainys

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 March 19 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline & Iain,

My husband is a descendant of the Bulley family from Great Amwell, Herts through his great grandmother, Florence Elizabeth Bulley born 1888.

Is there a connection?

Regards,

Lainy

See the Surnames I am researching on the surname interest table

Offline IainHB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 March 19 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Lainy,

Florence Elizabeth BULLEY b1888

Parents - David BULLEY b1859 Hailey, Hertfordshire
        - Berth Florence UNKNOWN

Grand Parents - James BULLEY b1827 Great Amwell, Hertfordshire
              - Louisa EBBS b1837 St Andrews, Hertfordshire

Great Grand Parents - Edward BULLEY b1775, Great Amwell, Hertfordshire
                    - Mary EDWARDS b1804, Great Amwell, Hertfordshire

Great Great Grandparents - Edward BULLEY b1753, Standon, Hertfordshire
                         - Kiziah WOOD b1756, Buckland, Hertfordshire

You need to go to the actual parish records (and from memory the bishops transcripts) at HALS
for the BULLEY family in Standon, missing from the IGI and Ancestry.
Prior to the Standon records (1613) see the parish records for Cottered, Aredely, Westmill, Layston and Thundridge (all Hertfordshire).
Prior to parish records 1538, I believe the family migrated into Hertfordshire from Bedfordshire.
If you find anything of interest, I'd appreciate a notification.
Anything you are struggling to find, post here and maybe I can help.

Pauline,

I knew I had a number of Martha BULLEY records in my tree, but unfortunately not with a confirmed 1801 birth/baptism/parents.
The surviving marriage licence document puts Joseph BULLEY/Phoebe HOLWOOD in the Brickendon parish at that time,
so it may be worth checking at HALS for a baptism in that register (not all HALS registers are fully transcribed online).
The marriage was at Hertford All Saints and St John, so it may also be worth checking that register for a baptism.

With the marriage being Sept 1801 (by Licence not Banns) it is possible Martha was born earlier in the year, which could go some way to explaining a lack of baptism record.
I concur with your theory of Martha being the daughter of Joseph/Phoebe, it is what I had in my tree as an unproven best guess link.
The most likely document that I think could prove it, would be the marriage certificate (Martha/George EVA) naming Martha's father.
I have scanned my pending documents but Unfortunately I don't have that myself and I've not found it online either despite extensive searching.
If I get an opportunity, I'll pop into HALS sometime and have a look at the Brickendon register and the Hertford All Saints register.

I'll add this to my research list and if I find anything I'll post it.
Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

Joseph BULLEY (1778 Gt. Amwell) Died Jan 1857 (Hailey Lane, Gt Amwell)
Married 08 Sep 1801 - All Saints and St John, Hertford
Phoebe HOLWOOD (1784 Lt. Munden) Died Dec 1855 (Hertford Heath/Little Amwell)

Edward BULLEY (10.Jun.1753 Standon) Father of Joseph and my 5th GGF
Married Kizia WOOD (12.Dec.1775 Gt.Amwell) Family from Buckand/Therfield parish(s) and go way back to at least the 1500's in those registers.

Iain

Offline Lainys

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Iain,

Thank you for the information you have shared with me, I appreciate it.

If I get to HALS or find out any further information, I will let you know.

Kindest regards,

Lainy

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 15:28 GMT (UK) »

Re Post #5, just in case someone is looking at this sometime in the future,     
Iain's UNKNOWN . . . . .     

Marriage 1887 QD Ware  3a 529
David BULLEY / Bertha Florence Wilcher

Therefore     
Birth 1888 QS WARE 03A 416     
BULLEY, FLORENCE  ELIZABETH   (mmn Wilcher, from GRO)
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Lainys

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ray!

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Martha BULLEY - Completed thanks
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Iain
Having completely forgotten about this post I used HALS a while ago to research Martha's baptism and, although the register was destroyed in the fire, the bishop's transcript was available. A baptism was found for Martha at All Saints St John on 13th December 1801 with parents Joseph and Phebe Bullen (sic) which seems close enough to be the correct one. Joseph and Phoebe married at the same church in September 1801.
As for Martha's marriage to George Eva, that took place at St Mary's, Islington on the 19th August 1820 with the couple both of the parish. Unfortunately there is no information on the parents of either. George had moved to London from Cornwall to work so perhaps Martha had done the same.
Thank you for your help
Pauline