Author Topic: WWII airmen: DELARUE, TAPLIN, GUPPY  (Read 5531 times)

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
Re: WWII airmen: DELARUE, TAPLIN, GUPPY
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 05:58 GMT (UK) »
:) Enjoy your new family connection. I received the e-mail, so I hope guppyrelation did too.
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline GuppyNiece

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Hope it helps.  Would like to hear more about the Guppy clan myself.  Take care!!

Offline guppyrelation

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Got the e-mail thanks. Am just in the throes of collating all the bits of Guppy family threads and will reply shortly. ( think you'll find it makes an interesting story!)

Offline PerthGuppy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 November 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I know this thread is old but worth a shot. I've recently discovered William Flower Guppy is my 3rd Great Grandfather. I'm in Perth, Western Australia. I've been researching the family and came across this thread. Would love to connect to any of the Guppy's who posted here.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 November 18 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Good morning & welcome to Rootschat. :)

I've maintained contact with guppyniece over the years since this post. If she doesn't pop in to say hello over the next 24 hours, I'll contact her & let her know of your inquiry.

MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline PerthGuppy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 November 18 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I'd appreciate that.

Offline GuppyNiece

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 November 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi!! I am the great granddaughter of William Flower Guppy of Guildford, W.A.  My mother was Nancy Guppy of Perth, and her father was George Guppy, the youngest son of William.  He was a railroad stationmaster in Maddington until he died suddenly of a cerebral hemorrhage in 1931. 

My mother, her younger brother, John Flower Guppy and mother, Nellie continued to live in Perth.  Mom and John went to private Catholic schools until mom worked as a stenographer for the Perth Police Dept and John, better known as Jack, joined the Royal Australian Air Force in WWII.  He was sent to Benbecula, in the Scottish Hebrides, working as a radioman on the Flying Fortress aircraft, assigned to bombing German UBoats.  On a fateful morning on October 1942 a plane entered the runway as Jack's plane was taking off.  It stalled and plummeted into the rough water.  There was no rescue craft available, so 3 men perished, one who was my Uncle Jack.  He was buried in Benbecula, where the incredible citizens of the area have tended and visited his grave until this day.

My mother remained in Perth with her mother, Nellie, who was a school teacher. At a dance, encouraged by her best friend Tess, Mom met my father, Wallace "Wally" who was from the farmlands of Iowa in the USA.  They quickly fell in love, married in 1943 and eventually she emigrated to the US via a 9 month waiting period in Sydney and eventually aboard the cruise ship SS Lurline to San Francisco.  There, she was picked up by Dad's Uncle Theron and put on a train to San Diego, California where Dad was stationed in the US Navy. 

She loved San Diego as it looked so much like Perth. She still had friends she had made while in Sydney waiting to come over and many were stationed here, making her less homesick.  My brother, Vaughan was born in 1947 and my sister,  Karen in 1949. We remained in San Diego and in the desert area just to the east, El Centro, where I was born in 1959. The family returned for good a few months later, settling in Chula Vista.

We all went to school here in Chula Vista.  Dad got out of the Navy after 20+ years and bought a house; the very one I am living in today with my husband.  Dad worked in the aerospace manufacturing field until he passed in 1984.  Mom lived a good and happy life until 2015 at the age 95.  Vaughan, my husband Keith and I moved back home to care for her and fix up the old family home.  Her last days were so very happy.  The sad thing was that my sister died of a blood clot after surgery in 2001.  It was so hard on mom.

My brother had a heart attack and encephalitis 2 years ago, but fully recovered, realizing his dream of owning an antique store in Coronado, California.  He became suddenly ill again last Spring, dying in August.  It is still hard to believe.

My husband owns a small publishing company and I work for a large hospital.  I met my husband Keith when I was a freelance illustrator.  I have a children's book of my own, "The Worm Whistle".  We have two grown daughters who live in Colorado and Florida and a grandson and granddaughter.

Think that is our family in a nutshell!!

Offline PerthGuppy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 November 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It's great to hear back from you and to learn all about your family. Sorry to hear about your Brother, Sister and Mum.

Are you on ancestry.com? Pretty sure it's you who I've messaged. I discovered your Mum and Uncle through hints there and read a few things on Trove.

My Mum is the Great Grand daughter of William Flower's son Robert Guppy. She does not know anything about her Guppy family. I've only recently discovered this and she has some DNA matches with some Guppy cousins.