Author Topic: Collar House, Prestbury  (Read 17453 times)

Offline Mary House

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Collar House, Prestbury
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Collar House was used in the war by St Mary's Manchester when Manchester was being bombed.  My mother was the midwife who got the operating theatre there up and running.  She met my father there and they married in 1943.  I was born there in 1944.  I went to visit the house and decided to write a history of the house.  It is nearly finished.  I traced the house back to at least 1780 and have data on at least 7 families who owned or tenanted the house.  I wrote two articles for the local church magazine to ask people for info and had many responses and some photos, inc. one of the staff of the house in 1904.  When the Prestbury Beaumont Care Home was built they retained the lovely east and south facades and knocked down the old kitchen and staff quarters to build two wings of accomodation better suited to the care of older people.  I hope to publish the booklet later this summer (it is 50 pages) and intend to leave copies in the local libraries.
It was used for deliveries from Dec 1939 - 1952 when the Manchester wards had been repaired/rebuilt.   Hope this helps  I am new to this site.
Mary 

Offline kimhulme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Mary. You are joining a happy band of  like-minded family history researchers who, like you have just done, are always ready to help fellow members.  You will be amazed at the wide selection of topics covered and the lengths  people go to with assistance.
I see you haven't placed the FRANKLAND  name  yet on the Surname Interest Table (I'm already helping?) I recently acquired  papers to do with  the bungalow your grandfather had built at Hockley and I can send you photographs of the mess that Poynton is still in with its shared space scheme if you are interested. You'll need to send me your email address via a PM for that.
Are Michael, David and Sir Clive interested?

Best wishes,
KimH

Offline craven481

• RootsChat Member
  • Finding Family Is Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Mary

That's very helpful.  Perhaps your mother delivered me in June 1945!

As I no longer live in the area perhaps you would be kind enough to put a
message on here when your book is available.

Good luck with your project.
Many thanks.
Ken
Craven, tarporley cheshire; hulme manchester.
Meredith, manchester.
Scanlon, sligo ireland.
Barwick, grove & reading berks; wolverhampton staffs, manchester.
Simpson, pately bridge appletreewick & halifax yorks; manchester.
Dixon, storriths bolton abbey addingham & embsay yorks; manchester

Offline Mary House

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have not used any sort of chat site before so

Ken   I will let this site know if I can get a publisher at reasonable price   always a worry for short runs

Kim I am curious to know how you know my family and would be interested in Grandpa's bungalow but have no idea how to give you my email address.    My phone no is 01245421794

I am wary of on-line advice as there is another site which says the Moseley family at Collar were related to Oswald Mosley the fascist.  How people can be so sloppy about spelling I do not know. Rex Moseley's older brother Oswald worked in the family Rubber Manufacturing firm in Manchester all his life and had nothing to do with fascists.  If people bothered to check they would find that not only is the surname spelt differently but their middle names are different too.   And once this sort of rubbish starts to be written it gets 'shared as truth' when it is not.

Thanks to both of you for responding
Mary

Offline hlomos1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 March 12 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

This is my first post on this site. Collar House to the best of my knowledge was built by the Fry family who I am related to. I don't know when it was built but the Fry's were quakers, hence the name Collar House. You may remember the bars of chocolate with five boys on the front, known as the Fry's five boys. The boys were the sons. They also had wide white collars.

Charlie.

Offline craven481

• RootsChat Member
  • Finding Family Is Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 March 12 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Charlie
That's interestng.  Perhaps Mary, who is writing the history of the house, was already aware of this fact but I wasn't.
Cheers
Ken
Meredith, manchester.
Scanlon, sligo ireland.

Offline Mary House

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 March 12 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlie
Thanks for the contact but I would need to know when you think it belonged to your Quaker Fry family.   It passed by a will from father to son in the Hordern family in 1780 and again down the family line in 1819.  These details are confirmed by annual entries in George 4th's Land Tax returns. It then passes to the Hervey family from 1859-1888.  more wills etc.  It is then bought by the Mill owner Isaac Waterhouse in 1888 and held by him until his death in 1913.  If you have data prior to 1780 I shall be overjoyed.
best wishes
Mary

Offline hlomos1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 March 12 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mary.
     I am afraid I can't help you. I only know what I was told by my grand parents. I was also born in Collar House in 1946 and then lived in Hulme for ten years.
     The information was something that was always known in the family. Sadly they are all gone now so I can't find any link. Does this make any sense?

Charlie.

Offline craven481

• RootsChat Member
  • Finding Family Is Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 December 12 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Having done a little more research I found that St Marys Manchester took over three properties in Prestbury during WWII: Collar House, Prestbury Hall, anf Adlington Hall.

On re-checking my birth certificate My place of birth is shown as St Marys Hospital [Village Branch] Prestbury R D [assume Rural District].

According to St Marys archivist this would have probably referred to Prestbury Hall, with Collar House being shown as Prestbury Main Branch, and Adlington Hall was reserved for wives of serviceman -my father was in a reserved occupation so that is ruled out.

I was under the impression I was born at Collar House by another Mancunian who was born there. Now I know different, and Prestbury Hall is presently up for sale but as I am not a footballer I can't afford it!
Meredith, manchester.
Scanlon, sligo ireland.