Author Topic: where is this Hotel? COMPLETED THANKS  (Read 7671 times)

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
where is this Hotel? COMPLETED THANKS
« on: Saturday 12 November 11 11:32 GMT (UK) »
!st Photo this is quite an old photo but I hope someone can tell me where it is. The sign says Hotel with something like "*crawford "below. any suggestions ?

2nd photo probably the same village but I'm not sure can anyone date these or better still identify the location.
Both photo's are in Lincolnshire.

Thanks Steve
Hannam in London, Nottinghamshire and Sheffield
Collins in Staffordshire
Brackenbury, Gurnell and Willson in Lincolnshire and now Nottinghamshire
Marples in Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Heginbotham in Derbyshire

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: where is this Hotel?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 November 11 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Both photos have Holbeach up the side. Is that not a town in Lincolnshire?
Elwyn

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 November 11 13:22 GMT (UK) »
You took the words out of my mouth Elwyn! Holbeach is in Lincolnshire so I would imagine the village is in that locality.

Do you have any names with the photos Steve? That may help searching out census returns. It may also be an idea to put the post on the Lincolnshire board, just in case anyone recognises the area.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 November 11 13:34 GMT (UK) »
"CURIOUSLY WORDED WILL: THE MAN WHO DRIVES THE MAIL CART TO SPALDING In the Probate Court on Monday, before Mr Justice HORRIDGE, Mr WILLIS on behalf of ANNIE WRIGHT, asked for a Grant of Administration of the estate of the late WILLIAM CHEFFINS, a photographer of Holbeach who died on November 30th 1912. He made a Will on 18th November 1912, but appointed no Executor. Annie WRIGHT, a Beneficiary, desired to have a Grant made to her with the consent of the only other Beneficiary, Mr GEORGE WILLIAM MITCHELL, who, in the Will, was referred to as "The Man who drives the Mail Cart to Spalding." His Lordship made the Grant asked for."

Cheffins is the photographer - see side of photo. From: THE SPALDING FREE PRESS, 17th July 1917.

PM

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 November 11 13:38 GMT (UK) »
looking closely at that, it could be the photographer's address, and/or the place of the photo.
PM

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 November 11 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, I have attached a scan of the back of one of the photo's both are the same. It gives the name and address of the photographer but nothing else.
The photo's could very well be of the Holbeach area also around Alford, Hibaldstow and that area of Lincolnshire. I can find no other info that may help sorry. I thought if you could find the name of the Hotel that may help.

Steve
Hannam in London, Nottinghamshire and Sheffield
Collins in Staffordshire
Brackenbury, Gurnell and Willson in Lincolnshire and now Nottinghamshire
Marples in Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Heginbotham in Derbyshire

Offline General Dogsbody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 November 11 16:16 GMT (UK) »
How about The Chequers Hotel Holbeach?

See  http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/637446

Both buildings have 4 windows on the  and 3 on the ground floor with the front door offset from the centre
GREENHOUGH, Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire; LISTER, Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire; TILLOTSON,Colne, Lancashire

Offline General Dogsbody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 November 11 16:26 GMT (UK) »
How about The Chequers Hotel Holbeach?

On second thoughts probably not. I have looked at Streetview and there is a church oposite the Chequers wich is clearly not shown in the old photo. Back to the drawing board
GREENHOUGH, Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire; LISTER, Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire; TILLOTSON,Colne, Lancashire

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 November 11 16:38 GMT (UK) »
On the original photo, is it possible to make out more of the sign above the word "hotel"? It might be possible to search on hotel name on 1901 census for Holbeach and villages surrounding.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott