Author Topic: WWII Army Photo?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Flosse

• RootsChat Member
  • The world is your oyster. . . .
    • View Profile
WWII Army Photo?
« on: Saturday 12 November 11 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone help me to identify this photograph and what this cup may have been presented for?  My grandfather, Frederick G C Smart, is 2nd from the left and was a serving member of the Army during WW11.  He served with the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry (OBLI) as a Captain, eventually becoming a Major (Hon). 

The cup appears to be marked with "Julius Challenge Cup.  MIIOW 1940/4" but could be wrong there - photographer was also very adept at chopping off heads!  We are not sure whether it is an Army event but the style of the buildings behind and the dress code of all the chaps involved leans towards that assumption.

We know that he was a keen sportsman and enjoyed polo, sailing, boxing and a variety of other sports and participated in the Army games.   He served in India and we understand he also had involvement in the training of troops for the Pegasus Bridge assault.

Any assistance in identifying where this photo may have been taken, who else may be in it and what the occasion may have been will be very gratefully received as we have no clue whatsoever to date.

Thank you very much
Flosse
Davis, Wild, Smart, Richardson, Chambers, Taylor, Biggerstaff, Gibney

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WWII Army Photo?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 November 11 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Seems to me there's a bit of a comedy element to the photo - the 'trophy' looks home made.  Also the men are wearing smart trousers and shoes, not really sporting gear.  Is that a huge comedy medal on the third chap from the left?  Maybe their heads were nearly cut off in the photo on purpose to add to the fun element of the occasion?

If I'm totally wrong and it turns out to be a very serious and momentous occasion then I'm very sorry for suggesting such a possibility.  :-[  ;)  ;D

Heather

p.s. what date was your grandfather born?  I'd say he might be late 20s in the photo?
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 November 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if "MIIOW" might actually be "MHOW" - Google brings up a host of links referring to this as an important military base in India. I can't help with any of the rest, though it did occur to me too that the trophy looked a bit ironic.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flosse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 November 11 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the responses.

My Grandfather was born in 1906. 

I am not sure if there was meant to be any comedy element, although they all look in good spirits, - but I agree the trophy looks home made..I expect they just assembled it from whatever they had spare at the time.  I am intrigued by the letters Y on their jumpers and the large red cross type badge on the third chap from the left.

Arthur - the more I look at this, the more I suspect you are right about the initials and the India link - most of the photos we have of him are taken in India.  I did find this link, indicating a presence that may be them (52nd Light Infantry) in 1940...
http://dkvblog.sulekha.com/blog/post/2007/07/army-regiments-in-mhow-1840-1948-a-fascinating.htm

I will read a little more..

It would be good to know what on earth they were doing with this dustbin-sized trophy!

Flosse

Offline adam180

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 November 11 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Flosse
Do you think they could be talking about this cup your grandfather won, although I am not sure if I would call it ornate, having now seen it,  :)
It's a page from "The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry War Chronical" Vol 1, September 1939-June 1940. by Lieut Colonel J.E.Neville.
I shall have a closer look, and see if I can see him mentioned anywhere in it.
Hope this helps.
Adam
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FJVCjwp8qVLyagIKs3rR1k3Uf_vefkbQfI2zeUzad7Y?feat=directlink

Offline Flosse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 November 11 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adam,

Thanks for taking the time to look for this - it could well be the same cup that they are talking about, although I agree that describing it as 'ornate' is a little generous!  I'd like to know what all the badges represent..

If you manage to find any information on him at all, I would be most grateful. We have sent for his records but are still waiting for their return so not exactly which regiment he served with within the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry.  Apparently he went on to serve with the Greenjackets as well.

Thanks again - fingers crossed it is in fact the same event!
Flosse

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 November 11 23:59 GMT (UK) »
The badge looks as though it has a ribbon so I think it might be symbolic of a medal (probably the VC). I'm wondering if they were the winning team (Y team) and the badge holder the individual winner.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 November 11 23:45 GMT (UK) »
We have sent for his records but are still waiting for their return so not exactly which regiment he served with within the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry. Apparently he went on to serve with the Greenjackets as well.

Hi Flosse  :)

Just to clarify, The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry was a regiment, and was made up of two battalions.  In 1958 it was absorbed into the Green Jackets Brigade (later The Royal Green Jackets).
See www.sofo.org.uk/research-centre/oxfordshires-regiments/obli.

Regards,
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch