Author Topic: little green lane photos  (Read 11851 times)

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: little green lane photos
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
I don't know if anyone is still following this page, but I'm wondering if anyone knows whereabouts 66 Little Green Lane would have been before the area was industrialised please? My wife's family lived there around 1891-1911 at least, quite possibly longer.

Offline Keith Dallow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
Hi i was born little green lane 1944 at number 90 my gran lived just down the road in 1930 at
66 would possible be opposite my grans opposite was the cricketers arms which is still there now
also along there was wimbush bread factory but 1911 dont know what was there then .

Keith

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Thanks for that information. The Cricketers Arms was number 48 I think, which would mean that 66 was on the same side of Little Green Lane. Is that right?

If your Gran lived in 66 in 1930, maybe you are related to my wife? Her relatives who were there 1911, and I think still there after that were Richard & Ellen Asbury, with about half a dozen daughters and a son who died in the war. Do those names ring a bell?

Whereabouts was number 90? Which street was it nearest to?

Offline Keith Dallow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric
Meant to say my gran lived at 55 little green lane not 66 that would be opposite 66 number 90
were i lived was just up the road passed three back to back entries was 90 over the road from my
back to back house was millward street and farther up was wyndcliff road then up again was eversley road then little green lane infant and junior school were i went happy days for me little green lane
left there 1960 was told houses were knocked down 1970.
Keith.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 19:03 BST (UK) »

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 May 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks both of you for that information. It seems families were crammed into small spaces back then.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 December 20 12:17 GMT (UK) »
A long shot. Does anyone have any info on prewar Little Green Lane?

My wife's grandfather, Daniel Booth, owned a large house which is reported to have stood next to the Cricketers Arms. It had a courtyard entered through a central arch and the yard contained stables. My mother in law would tell stories of Daniel, who died in 1940, allowing a circus family to house elephants in the stables from time to time. I would imagine their arrival would have caused quite a stir, especially among the local kids. Does anyone have any memories of this or have heard tales of it?

Keith

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 December 20 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Daniel Booth was listed as living at 54 Little Green Lane and was at Wimbush's bakery, also of Little Green Lane, at death.  Age 59.

Age on 1939 disagrees with that age at death.

Address does not look like a central arch big building, a terrace? 

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 18 December 20 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Chempat,

I'm aware of the 54 address. After Daniel's death the house was split into two and occupied by two of his daughters and their respective families. My wife remembers it as such, though without the stables. Daniel died during a wartime bombing raid, hence the reference to Wimbush's, on whose roof his head, the only part of him ever found, was discovered. We assume the stables were destroyed at the same time.

I hadn't realised there was a discrepancy over his age. My wife has his birth cert, which I can check.