Author Topic: William Robert BISHOP Montreal Lookup please.  (Read 1645 times)

Offline KB783

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Robert BISHOP Montreal Lookup please.
« on: Saturday 12 November 11 23:00 GMT (UK) »
William Robert BISHOP was born at Dover UK in 1861 and travelled to Canada with his parents. His father was in the 47th Regt. of Foot. William died aged 1 in 1862 in Montreal.

I have searched online and found his death recorded;

Year 1862
Garrison Anglian Church
Folio 8
Centre d'archives de Montreal CE601, S65

Does this mean that it is his place of burial? If not where would he be buried? Does the Church still exist?

Keith
Bishop, Piffe & 47th Regiment of Foot 1850- 1880

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: William Robert BISHOP Montreal Lookup please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 11 05:14 GMT (UK) »
When I googled Montreal "Anglican garrison" cemetery, most entries mentioned St Mary's Burial Grounds and The Military Cemetery which are also known as the Papineau Avenue Cemetery. Apparently there was a book of monument inscriptions by Sydney Ham published in 1944 entitled "Anglican Garrison-Papineau Ave., Military Cemetery" but I don't know where you could get a look up to see if there is anything for William Bishop.

Apparently the LDS Library also has a copy of the burial register (LDS film # 1643110 Item 18
Anglican Church burial register of those buried at Papineau Avenue military cemetery and St. Helen's Island military cemetery from 1814 to 1870). Also the Anglican Archives is supposed to have a copy as well.

This site is where I found this information: http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~qcmtl-w/cemeteries.htm

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz