Author Topic: MARYOTT (and variations) - George Alfred MARYOTT b1839, Kent  (Read 6309 times)

Offline Megatill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MARYOTT (and variations) - George Alfred MARYOTT b1839, Kent
« on: Sunday 13 November 11 06:37 GMT (UK) »
I have a brickwall on George Alfred MARYOTT (spelling as per 1923 Australian death certificate, and other family certificates).

In an interview with a Sydney, Australia newspaper shortly before his death, he was quoted as -
  • having been born and lived in Dover,
  • he held the Duke of Wellington's horse at his father's livery stable
  • was a "Man O'Warsman" on the  paddle-wheel wooden steamer Porcupine, which laid the trans-Atlantic cable
  • was on the Flagship WATERLOO in Sheerness
  • sailed to Australia on the ship QUEEN OF AUSTRALIA which hit the Nobby's Head breakwater in Newcastle, NSW, and was repaired at the Cockatoo Dockyard in Sydney in 1863

The only reference I have been able to find in the English BDMs is that there was a George who was son to James MARYOTT and Elizabeth (Hall) Maryott, but I have just discovered a letter from the Office for National Statisics written in 1998 which states categorically that James Maryott and Elizabeth Hall Maryott WERE NOT George Alfred's parents.

If anyone is able to assist me in finding George's parents, I would appreciate the assistance!!!

Megan in Sydney
Australia/Scotland: Turnbull, Mackie/Mackay/McKey, Wilson
Australia/England: Hardy, Miller, Turnbull, Comber, Mackie, Tilley
England: Barratt/Barrett, Berridge, Bird, Booth, Bostorne, Buszard/Bussard, Hill, Jacomb, Jarvis, Marston, Miller, Noon, Persival, Roe, Smalley, Tilley, Weston, Wheat, Witsey
US: Tilley
England Counties: Leicestershire, Essex
Scotland: Roxburghshire
Wales: Llewellyns, Jones, Gower, Bowen & Morgan

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MARYOTT (and variations) - George Alfred MARYOTT b1839, Kent
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 11 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Ok, so when was George Alfred supposedly born?

Does his death certificate give names of parents?

Did he marry in Australia and are there any relevant details on that certificate?

Do you have a passenger list for him?

The only reference I have been able to find in the English BDMs is that there was a George who was son to James MARYOTT and Elizabeth (Hall) Maryott, but I have just discovered a letter from the Office for National Statisics written in 1998 which states categorically that James Maryott and Elizabeth Hall Maryott WERE NOT George Alfred's parents.

Sorry but this doesn't seem to make sense.  You are saying that you have a birth certificate with the parents as James MARYOTT and Elizabeth HALL yet you have a letter from the ONS saying that it doesn't say that on the certificate?  Could you be more specific please.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Megatill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 11 12:12 GMT (UK) »
George Alfred Maryott is born c 1839 in/around Dover.

His Death Cert does NOT give names of his parents.

His Marriage Certificate gives the names of his parents as James & Elizabeth; however, I have the letter from the Office for National Statisics written in 1998 which states categorically that James Maryott and Elizabeth Hall Maryott WERE NOT George Alfred's parents.
This letter is what has prompted my query.

He arrived as an Able Seaman on the QUEEN OF AUSTRALIA in 1863.

Megan in Sydney
England: Barratt/Barrett, Berridge, Bird, Booth, Bostorne, Buszard/Bussard, Hill, Jacomb, Jarvis, Marston, Miller, Noon, Persival, Roe, Smalley, Tilley, Weston, Wheat, Witsey

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 November 11 13:10 GMT (UK) »
The only reference I have been able to find in the English BDMs is that there was a George who was son to James MARYOTT and Elizabeth (Hall) Maryott

What is the reference for this please ie. when/where did the birth/baptism take place and the reference, if any, for it please.

I have the letter from the Office for National Statisics written in 1998 which states categorically that James Maryott and Elizabeth Hall Maryott WERE NOT George Alfred's parents.

Yes, but if we know why they wrote to somebody about this (it must have been in response to some query) then it may help us to help you.  Was the letter in response for an application for a birth certificate ......... how exactly is it worded?

He arrived as an Able Seaman on the QUEEN OF AUSTRALIA in 1863.

Do you actually have the record of this?  I ask because sometimes merchant seamen  can be traced.  I have found ref. to the "Queen of Australia" arriving Victoria 21 August 1863 - would this be the voyage?

If he was on the "Waterloo", post 1853 Royal Navy service records have been indexed online http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp?WT.hp=Registers%20of%20Seamen%27s%20Services

Offline Megatill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 November 11 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

All searches have been predicated on the newspaper interview from the Sydney Sunday News, July 9, 1922 wherein a lot of "facts" were mentioned.

What is the reference for this please ie. when/where did the birth/baptism take place and the reference, if any, for it please.

A subsequent search of the FreeBDM and an IGI entry in the LDS FamilySearch database showed James & Elizabeth (Hall) Maryott as parents to George Alfred, born 1839, Kent.

Yes, but if we know why they wrote to somebody about this (it must have been in response to some query) then it may help us to help you.  Was the letter in response for an application for a birth certificate ......... how exactly is it worded?

The letter was in response to a request made by George's Great Grand Daughter (now deceased) to purchase the birth certificate of George Alfred Maryott born 15 July 1838 to James and Elizabeth Maryott in Kent.
The response states, and I quote "We have not issued a certificate because the particulars at the entry you selected do not agree with those on your application, that is, the father is not James Maryott, and the mother is not Elizabeth Hall".

Do you actually have the record of this?  I ask because sometimes merchant seamen  can be traced.  I have found ref. to the "Queen of Australia" arriving Victoria 21 August 1863 - would this be the voyage?

I do not have a record of him being on the Queen of Australia (also, the newspaper interview shows "Queen of England"), but I do have details of the ship running aground and being repaired via the newspaper articles dated May 2 and May 7 1862 [The Argus Courier, Brisbane]. All details, including reference to the Captain, Capt Nolan, match the information in the newspaper interview, so at least that much is correct.

If he was on the "Waterloo", post 1853 Royal Navy service records have been indexed online http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp?WT.hp=Registers%20of%20Seamen%27s%20Services

I agree - however, I have undertaken a number of searches over different times on the National Archives, and have not found any mention of a Maryott, or any variation - Maryat, Mariott, Marriet, etc..

I have a number of pictures of his medal which states GEORGE MARYOTT quite clearly and unambiguously, and is for the BALTIC 1854-1855 campaign.

These are  the details extracted from the newspaper article (square brackets [] are mine):

Excerpt from Sunday News, July 9, 1922

Article entitled, VETERAN OF CRIMEA, Hearty and Happy at 84
1.   “I was born in Dover 1838” (last surviving Crimean veteran of the Navy and Army Veteran’s Association)
2.   joined the Navy when I was 15 years old      [using 1838 = 1853]
3.   attended the local charity school in Dover, as his parent were very poor
4.   saw the Duke of Wellington riding his old grey horse from his home at Walmer Castle, on his way to his solicitors Messrs Knockert & Sons – George held his horse while Duke visited solicitors – afterwards the Duke slipped him a shilling
5.   Aged 15 went aboard the flagship Waterloo at Sheerness, and while aboard her the Russian War broke out.
6.   Drafted to a paddle-wheel wooden steamer – the Porcupine, 5 guns, under the command of Lieutenant Commander Jackson. Participated in the bombardment of the upper part of the Gulf of Finland.
7.   One of the crew of the porcupine, which assisted in laying the Atlantic Cable from Valencia bay in Ireland, to Trinity Bay in Newfoundland. The Agamemnon accompanied by The Lizard carried half, and the Niagara accompanied by the Porcupine, the other half. The splicing of the cable was carried out amidships in mid-ocean, and George was one of the crew helping to pull the cable ashore at Trinity Bay. Only one message was put through on this cable – that came from Queen Victoria, then the cable had to be taken up and re-laid.
8.   one of earlier jobs before going to sea, when the first cable was laid between Dover and Calais – father had a livery stable in Dover, and secured the contract for carrying telegraphed messages from the cable station to the township (about 3 miles) on ponies with 2 other boys.
9.   Trips on the high seas included to China and India, carrying Tea in clippers to London.
10.   Sailed to Australia as an able seaman in the Queen of England [sic] in 1861. The trip to Melbourne took 98 days and after discharging our cargo, took on ballast and sailed to Newcastle where we intended to take in coal for China. We passed Sydney Heads at 8pm and at 5am the following morning (May 1st, 1861) the Queen of England went on the rocks at Nobbys, Newcastle. The vessel got off at flood tide, and subsequently brought to Sydney and restored to seaworthiness at Cockatoo Dock. Captain Nolan wanted me to rejoin the ship, but I had secured a good billet in the meantime, and could earn nearly as much in a week as I could in a month aboard ship.

Hope this helps clarify!?!?!?!?!
Off to bed now as it is 1am...

Megan in Sydney

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 November 11 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Without any supporting evidence you have to wonder if George had a good imagination  ::)

I'm stilll looking ................
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 November 11 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Well there was an Edward KNOCKER, solicitor, in (Castle Street?) Dover mid 19c so that bit fits as does the timeline of the first Dover to Calais cable 1850 so where are they in 1851?

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 November 11 16:47 GMT (UK) »
and the medal is real enough.   :D

MARYOTT and variants isn't a common name in Kent.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 November 11 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Found him ;D

George Maryott ETALL baptised Dover St Mary 7 Aug 1839 son of James and Elizabeth http://www.familysearch.org

George ETALL born Dover 15 Jul 1839 enlisted into the Royal Navy 30 Aug 1854

1851 12 Trevanion Street, Dover St James

James EATALL head mar 40 coachman b.Canterbury
Eliza wife 37 b.Milton
Clara dau 16 b.Dover
William son 14 b.Lydd
George son 12 b.Dover
Eliza dau 6 b.Dover

HO107/1632 folio 307 page 30

James ETALL married Elizabeth Moreland MARYATT at Milton 1833 http://www.familysearch.org

George ETALL earned the Baltic medal for his part in the Crimea aboard the Porcupine 8)

I'm wondering if, somewhere along the line, somebody has scrawled down what looks like "HALL" but is in fact "(ET)ALL" ???