Author Topic: Twin girls born in Alderney 1857  (Read 5168 times)

Offline Birstall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Twin girls born in Alderney 1857
« on: Sunday 13 November 11 20:02 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information concerning Mary Ann and Sarah Ann Myers born c1857, their father was in the Royal Artillery and was stationed in Alderney after fighting in the Crimea. In 1859 there was a younger brother born there so they should all be in the 1861 census but I can't access it.
The parents are George and Mary Ann Myers.

Any help would be most appreciated, thank you.

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Twin girls born in Alderney 1857
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 11 20:27 GMT (UK) »
You may find some websites on the Channel Island resource board on this site.Its not easy researching the Channel Isles but there are a few records out there.I was in the record office in St Peter Port Nd noticed they had records there abou Alderney.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 11 21:34 GMT (UK) »
It looks as if George had been posted elsewhere by 1861, there are no families called Myers that I can see. Regiments did not tend to stay for very long in the Channel islands.

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 11 04:53 GMT (UK) »
I've searched the 1861 Census, but have been unable to find any Myers or variations on the name in Alderney.

I found Mary Ann Myers in 1871 living in Sheffield Yorkshire with the Swindon family.  The original transcription gives her birth place as Alderney and the year 1857.

The family appear on the Ancestry website in a family tree, and the mother Mary Ann Myers is stated as having died in 1867 in Alderney.

Not sure if that is of any help or not.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 11 23:48 GMT (UK) »
I've been searching around for further information on Sarah Ann and Mary Ann Myers.

I hope the following is useful to you. I can find no trace of any of the Myers family in 1861 anywhere, could it be that George Myers was posted say to Ireland or elsewhere at the time of this Census?

It appears there were older siblings also George (Born 1846 Yorkshire), Betsy (Born 1849 Woolwich Kent), Charles Henry (Born 1850 Northampton) and a younger brother John (Born 1859 Alderney).

Betsy Myers married Fred Ridal Q2 1877 Sheffield Yorkshire
John Myers married Kate Eades Q4 1886 Sheffield Yorkshire

Sarah Ann Myers Born 1857 Alderney

1871 Census, Sarah Myers living at Green Hill Daughter's Soldiers Home, Hampstead Middlesex. Her birth place of Alderney confirmed on original transcription.

1881 Census, Sarah Ann Myers was single and a Patient at an Infirmary in Salop Shrewsbury. Her birth place of Alderney confirmed on original transcription

1891 Census back in Alderney as wife to Scottish Born James Burnett, a Lodging House Keeper.  No children on this Census  (Could not find marriage details), but son James Burnett is boarding in Alderney with the Batiste family at the time of this Census, aged 2 years.

1901 Census in Ecclesall Bierlow Yorkshire as widow Sarah Ann Burnett, a trained Nurse born Alderney.

1901 Census in Middlesex, Son James Burnett aged 11, born Alderney at Royal Masonic School, Wood Green, Middlesex

1911 Census in Rotherham Yorkshire as widow Sarah Ann Burnett, with her son James Murdoch Burnett aged 21, both confirmed born Alderney

*I noticed that a few of the Myers family lived in Ecclesall Bierlow so this added to my belief that this is the right Sarah Myers.

Mary Ann Myers Born 1857 Alderney

1871 Census as mentioned in a prior post, Mary living in Sheffield Yorkshire with the Swindon family

Q4 1878 Mary marries Alonzo Hemsworth in Sheffield District Yorkshire

1881 Census in Ecclesall Bierlow, Yorkshire, Mary and husband Alonzo and daughter Thirza.  Her father George Myers a Widower B 1823 in Wath Yorkshire, a Tailor is living with them.

1891 Census in Ecclesall Bierlow Yorkshire with husband Alonzo and children Thirza, Fred, Harry, Mary A, Gertrude, Alonzo and George

1901 Census in Ecclesall Bierlow, Yorkshire with her husband and children Fred, Harry, Mary A, Gertrude, Alonzo, George, Oscar, Constance and Sydney

1911 Census in Ecclessall Bierlow Yorkshire with her husband and children Alonzo, George, Oscar, Constance and Sydney

Hope that helps
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline Birstall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all of you for replying to my post. I really appreciate the trouble and hard work History Fan that you did to help me. Unfortunately I have all of the information from 1871 so there's nothing new there. I was curious as to what happened to the family from 1851- 61. The twins were born in Alderney as recorded in many censuses as was John in 1859, they are no where to be found in 1861. Ah well if they aren't to be found so be it.
Thanks once more

PS I own a web site called www.mymyers.com so if you have Myers interests please drop by.

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I just looked at George Myer's military record.  The 1861 Worldwide Army Index sites him as Gunner in 2nd Brigade of Royal Artillery and that the regiment was stationed at Alderney, Jersey and Dover in Kent.

Still haven't been able to find them on the 1861 Census though.

Could there be a possibility the Regiment had a short posting in Ireland or Gibraltar at the time of the Census?

Offline Birstall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that History Fan, Mary Ann (Rydel) died in Alderney in 1867 but I guess military families were subject to movement at the drop of a hat.