Author Topic: my grandfather donald maclean born on the isle of barra c1898  (Read 8911 times)

Offline compo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
my grandfather donald maclean born on the isle of barra c1898
« on: Sunday 13 November 11 21:13 GMT (UK) »
i am after information on my grandfather donald maclean ,all i know of him is that he was born on the isle of barra in the outer hebrides in approx 1898 and that he was a sailor and was swept overboard in a storm somewhere round the shetland islands probably in the late 1930's i know nothing of the vessel or the exact location , i would love to know how i can go about getting his service record and perhaps a photo of him . id like to know how i can go about getting his death certificate ? would it have been registered on one of the islands ?

thankyou

kevin haram

south wales
looking for haram,judson,rispin,horsfield,carling,moore,dodson,anderson,appleby,morton,IN EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE ,haram,cessford,tapson,macluachlan,rispin,judson,prime,ogilvie,green,turnbull,walker,slowther,sim,hoy,brian,IN TYNE AND WEAR AND ASHINGTON AND MORPETH

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: my grandfather donald maclean
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin

His name is a common one, and his occupation is also - in relation to where he is from.  In order to recognise your Donald, perhaps on a Service Record if a) one existed and b) it survived - it would be good to know a bit more about him

Who his parents are
Who he married & when

I see a Donald McLEAN b Barra abt 1898, in Barra 1901 with parents Roderick & Marion.

There is also a Donald McLEAN b Barra abt 1896 in Barra 1901 with parents Archy & Elizabeth. Or one in 1901, b Barra abt 1900 with parents Hector & Flora.

All  three fall into the "abt 1898" birth time frame.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline compo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 11 19:03 GMT (UK) »
thankyou very much for your time and trouble , the maclean whos parents were hector and flora sounds most probable as my mother had a sister called flora ?!

again thankyou

compo
looking for haram,judson,rispin,horsfield,carling,moore,dodson,anderson,appleby,morton,IN EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE ,haram,cessford,tapson,macluachlan,rispin,judson,prime,ogilvie,green,turnbull,walker,slowther,sim,hoy,brian,IN TYNE AND WEAR AND ASHINGTON AND MORPETH

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 May 15 01:12 BST (UK) »
i am after information on my grandfather donald maclean ,all i know of him is that he was born on the isle of barra in the outer hebrides in approx 1898 and that he was a sailor and was swept overboard in a storm somewhere round the shetland islands probably in the late 1930's

Hi Kevin,

In order to progress you would be best order your mother's birth cert. to establish which Donald it is as your grandmother will be on it by her maiden name.

There is also a good site for Barra ............Barra's People - A Genealogical Interest Page

You may well have relatives still there & I'm sure your grandad's fate will have been remembered  ???

Anne Marie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 May 15 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann Marie,

I am sorry but you have replied to a member who sadly we have lost contact with  :'( When we are unable to track alternative email addresses we make a little not underneath the users profile name.

Edit: Done another search and think that I may have found them.....???

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryMcC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: my grandfather donald maclean born on the isle of barra c1898
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin, have you considered taking the ancestry.com DNA test and building as complete of a tree as you know of (even with cousins, aunts and uncles?)  I am a volunteer with the Clan MacLean DNA project over at familytreeDNA .com and we often suggest to descendents who don't have the surname to try to find ANY male MacLean who is a close DNA match in ancestry.com to then test their Y DNA and go farther back in time.  Our volunteer administrators can help you both on ancestry.com (if you give them rights and are stumped how to proceed) and then of course, in familytreedna.com to suggest options that MIGHT help you get farther back. It's just an idea for you.