Author Topic: Works on River Dee, Connah's Quay - ca 1874  (Read 2896 times)

Offline interalia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Works on River Dee, Connah's Quay - ca 1874
« on: Monday 14 November 11 05:16 GMT (UK) »
My g-grandfather was Thomas David ROBERTS, a civil/railway engineer, born near Llangollen in 1832. He served his articles under Benjamin Piercy, then during the course of his career worked his way down through mid- to south Wales, where he ended up in Newport as Divisional Engineer for GWR.

In February 1875 he successfully applied for the post of Resident Engineer with the Monmouthshire Railway & Canal Company, and this is an extract from his letter of application:

Latterly I have been superintending works of considerable importance for shipping purposes on the River Dee, at Connah's Quay, Chester.

The applicant/interview notes about him by someone at the MR&CC also say: "Superintending construction of Works on River Dee for Connah's Quay."

So construction appears to have been involved, but it's not clear if the use of "works" means a works (a specific building or series of buildings?), maybe to do with the docks; or whether the use of "works" means something like a project, development or improvement, perhaps to do with navigation or somesuch of the Dee. It's just possible it could have been to do with the river in some way, because in his letter he goes on to say:
Last year I was commissioned to proceed to South America to report to the Government of the U. S. of Colombia upon, and suggest plans for, the improvement of the River Magdalena,
so he evidently did that sort of thing too. But I've no idea what he could be referring to on the Dee  ???

Does anyone have knowledge of the history and development of the Dee/docks/facilities at Connah's Quay, who could help at all? Any suggestions about what these "works of considerable importance" would have been at that time? Sounds like it was around 1874, and (as the MR&CC's note is in the present tense) perhaps continued into 1875.

Many thanks!

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Works on River Dee, Connah's Quay - ca 1874
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has a railway employment record-30th April 1883 Newport,Great Western- that looks correct and refers to previous(engineering) appointment 1st Mar 1875,though I cannot immediately see this earlier record.
The following site refers to "new docks at Connahs Quay" and has relevant maps of the area
www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/buckley-railway/index.shtml
There is also a history of the local railway that might contain some references,but would be an expensive gamble ISBN 0853614172
Otherwise I'm sure Flintshire Record Office/National Archives will hold at least records of plans etc

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Works on River Dee, Connah's Quay - ca 1874
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello interalia,

I think the "works" referred to would have been the construction of, and improvement to, the docks in Connah's Quay.

Around that time, there was a great demand for transportation for the materials mined and goods produced in that area of North Wales. There were many mineral and lead mines close by there. Also, coal mines in Bagillt, amongst others. These ores and coal would have been shipped abroad and extra capacity in the docks was necessary to meet demand.

There would be material covering this at the Flintshire Record Office.

These sites might be of interest too:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/shotton/history8.html This does cover Connah's Quay in part.

http://www.wepre.flintshire.sch.uk/local_history.htm

http://www.cpat.org.uk/projects/longer/ports/ports.htm

Jo.