Author Topic: wwi lost step g.dad  (Read 3367 times)

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
wwi lost step g.dad
« on: Monday 14 November 11 11:41 GMT (UK) »
hi, all, this is a sideline to my family, but a bit of an enigma as non of my mothers family ever mentioned this man, and as they are all dead, i only have bits i picked up, some of it 50 years ago! and other bits when i cleared my g.mothers house on her death 1970, there were old letters hidden in a tin with medals etc. i had a quick glance, heart breaking letters really, and they felt private, so i stopped reading them.   but put them with other stuff and gave them to my old aunt. now all lost. so here is what i have, and can recall, hope some one with more info may help me or guide me to a site. it seems a shame to lose this person. his name was ernest gaines, born circa 1890? in york, was in the army garrison stationed at carlisle cumberland in 1911, and wed my g.mother, annie donague, born circa 1890 wed 1912, the marriage must be in carlisle. he died on the somme in july 4. 1916. body never found. but nthat is from old memory, i dont know a regiment or anything else i can recall. but it must have been such a hard time for my g,mother as she lost her son alex, age three or so, shortly after in a accident. she remarried and had a large family. but no one ever mentioned the first marriage, in fact i dont think they knew his name. any help with this would be great,  rob...
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: wwi lost step g.dad
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 11 11:49 GMT (UK) »
This looks like the marriage, with an odd spelling for Annie's surname:

Marriages Sep 1912
DONOWHO  Annie
GAINES  Ernest
Carlisle 10b 1105

From CWGW http://www.cwgc.org :

Ernest GAINES, Private, Border Regiment (service number 4227) died 5 July 1916 - commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. 

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 11 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Ernest's death is on the CWGC site - www.cwgc.org. He was a member of the 8th Bn. Border regiment and died on 5th July 1916. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial and his army no. was 4227.

best wishes

Maria  :)
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline kmart66

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 11 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Private Ernest Gaines
8th Battalion Border Regiment
Reg No 4227
Enlisted at Carlisle
Died 5 July 1916

8th Battalion
Formed at Carlisle in September 1914 and attached to 75th Brigade in 25th Division. Moved to Codford in Boscombe in November 1914. Moved to Romsey in May 1915 and to Aldershot the following month.
Landed at Boulogne 27 September 1915.

Kevin
Brightlingsea families
Martin, Day, Frostick, Salmon

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 11 11:58 GMT (UK) »
He was Born in York,Enlisted and Resided Carlisle.8th Border Regiment

This tells you about first phase of the Somme and what he would have endured

http://www.border-regiment-forum.com/wiki/index.php?title=8th_Battalion_in_the_Battle_of_the_Somme_(First_Phase)

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 November 11 12:25 GMT (UK) »
There's a photo of the 8th battalion on the wiki site: -

http://www.border-regiment-forum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:Battalions_of_the_Border_Regiment

Best wishes

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 November 11 14:51 GMT (UK) »
hello, all. thank you all for the time and efforts that you have given. it is a big help, and i will give all the sites a look. hopefully it will give ernest a place in my family tree as i am sure my grandmother was proud of him, and would want him included in it. many thanks again to all,  rob..
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .