Author Topic: Margaret Jones b. Trawsfynydd d. Margaret Pierce Ffestiniog  (Read 56630 times)

Offline djtreacle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Jones b. Trawsfynydd d. Margaret Pierce Ffestiniog
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 07 April 13 23:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Abstraction
I went to Dolgellau Archives, and they have all the records for Parish registration of births from early 18th c., however I found that I could not be 100 per cent certain that the people I saw int he records were my relatives as there is no address listed in the earliest (1700+) entries, in Latin! There were lots of Peirce's listed.  Non conformist records started in 1812 I think.  I have lots of confirmed records prior to this date so I don't think I will get confirmed information further back in my tree from the Festiniog Owen's and I am sure that this branch were non-conformist. I didn't spend too long there but there are a couple of book entries on Hafod Y spyty.  The Archives are shut on the weekends.

I had quiet an extensive itinerary (which went completely out of the window as it snowed heavily this April!!) ::)  ;D but its good to plan ahead.  If you ring Dolgellau Archives they will tell you everything that you need to know and they are on the internet for their phone number.  Caenarfon RO was interesting but I don't think they have many Festiniog records, if any, but some perhaps from its environs.  Happy hunting.
L
Owen, Roberts: Yspytty Ifan
Wright; Clavering Essex
Watts, Barnes: Staines/Chertsey
Allen: Battersea
Nightingale: Battersea

Offline Tudor Owen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 11 June 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
I think we are researching the same family ie Elizabeth Jones and Pierce David of Bwlch wa, who had eight children, including my ancestor David Pierce 1789 - 1851 and your ancestor Evan Pierce 1801 - 1861. Am I right?

If so I'd really like to ask your advice. You mention finding Evan on the 1841 census and that his father Pierce David is also on there (living next door). However, I can't find Evan or his brother David or their father Pierce at all on that census. (I use Find My Past to search census records).

What am I doing wrong?

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 12 June 20 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
1841 census Festiniog Merionethshire HO107/ 1427  Book: 3/29 p 14

Evan Pierce   35 - 39
John Pierce   5
Elizabeth Pierce   4
Margaret Williams  20
Jeremiah (?) Williams 20
Humphrey Williams 20
 Then at Bwlch Wa No. 2 :
Pierce Davies  80

Marriage of Elizabeth, Evan Pierce's daughter (?)  from North Wales BMD:
Church / Register Office
James DAVIES & Elizabeth PIERCE
1856 Ffestiniog, Civil Marriage
James JAMES & Elizabeth PIERCE

Gives 2 different surnames for James because father's surname is different to his, presumably because of the patronymic system. Seems his father's name was David James.

BMD Ref.   Festiniog  11b  800

Emyr

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 13 June 20 21:41 BST (UK) »
I think we are researching the same family ie Elizabeth Jones and Pierce David of Bwlch wa, who had eight children, including my ancestor David Pierce 1789 - 1851 and your ancestor Evan Pierce 1801 - 1861. Am I right?

If so I'd really like to ask your advice. You mention finding Evan on the 1841 census and that his father Pierce David is also on there (living next door). However, I can't find Evan or his brother David or their father Pierce at all on that census. (I use Find My Past to search census records).
Hi. I assume you've found those census records now?
Yes, indeed, it's the same family. I have quite a bit of the tree going back from Elizabeth Jones and Pierce David going back to Edmund Price and on - you probably have that information? I also have an old, not very good image of Bwlch Hwfa from 1800s.

Offline Tudor Owen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 14 June 20 17:21 BST (UK) »
You say that you have old image of Bwlch Hwfa from 1800s. I would really love to see that please.
You might be interested in this history of Hafod Yspyty
 http://discoveringoldwelshhouses.co.uk/library/Hhistory/mer%20032_HH_32_Hafod-Ysbyty.pdf

Do be sure to read Appendix C, for a bloodcurdling story of a family feud involving my ancestor (and yours perhaps?) Humphrey ap David Lloyd.

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 07:36 BST (UK) »
Here's the image from I'm guessing late 1850s to 1860. Evan died in 1861. I have another image with a photo of him.

The later photo I've attached was probably 1980s when my cousin visited.

I have Pierce Owen's will and Catherine Lloyd's will and a few other bits and pieces. I assume you haven't traced Pierce Owen line back further?
On the other side I have the links back to Edmwnd Prys. There's a statue of him you can find online if you haven't already. From him the links go back as far as imagination will allow - Cunedda the Great - I think good money could purchase you a nice Roman family tree in the middle ages.

My line in Wales finishes with Evan's son John, who came out to Australia as a free settler and did very well for himself.

I'd be interested in swapping information about our mutual ancestors.

Offline Tudor Owen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the photos - both very interesting as they are the first I've seen.

Did you have a look at the weblink I sent about Hafod Ysbyty? A fascinating read, which mentions Pierce Owen senior and also his grandson Pierce Owen. 

Just in case you didn't notice it here it is again; worth reading right through to and including Appendix c.
 http://discoveringoldwelshhouses.co.uk/library/Hhistory/mer%20032_HH_32_Hafod-Ysbyty.pdf

My ancestor is David Pierce (1789-1851) brother of your Evan Pierce. So we both go back to Edmund Prys at least, via Humphrey ap David Lloyd, who was a murderer if the above article is correct. 

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 02:37 BST (UK) »
I did see that link - a great piece of history, thanks.

I found an image of the larger family tree. My Dad's cousin who visited Ffestiniog and took the photo - I realise now it was in the 1970s not 80s - got hold of this connection there. The family living in the house until this year were descended from Evan Pierce's daughter Elizabeth, who married James Davies. Their daughter married a Williams and their son Gwilym retained the home.

So a local historian in or near Ffestiniog had dug up this information for them. There are some very notable characters in there who you can google and find statues of and history. There's another piece that goes further back that he also supplied - all the way back to Roman times - but more difficult to ascertain the veracity of it.