Author Topic: Danuella's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 7060 times)

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Heathcote's Tiverton Mill 1836
    • View Profile
Re: Danuella's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 13:06 GMT (UK) »
When he dies, what parish is the workhouse in? I would assume the one that serves Helmingham? Also if the wedding says "of this parish" then both seem to point to William being born close by Helmingham.

What religion is the family? Is there any chance they were Baptists or Methodists? Where are the nearest meeting house or chapel? Do their baptism records still exist?

If you have searched Helmingham Parish Register and not found him, this could be a reason for him not being in it.

FS
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline Danuella

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes,its Bosmere union,Helmingham is in Bosmere.Yes they are both "of this parish" I am unsure what religion they are(how would you discover that??) But the baptisms of his children and marriages etc are in the helmingham PR's.
Whiting,Josselyn,Hawes,Copping,Van de poel

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 13:25 GMT (UK) »
If the children were baptised in Helmingham St Mary then you would expect the family to be CofE.

http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/helmingham.htm
It's beautiful. :)

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Heathcote's Tiverton Mill 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Well....it is quite possible he was brought up C of E but his  father (? Bilney) might not have been. Non conformist churches were not licensed to marry until well after 1800 but they could  baptise and kept their own baptism registers.

It might be worth checking out. People were willing to walk/travel relatively long distances to go to the church of their faith so do not be put off if the nearest looks to be some distance from Helmingham.

FS

Added - I have more than a few members of my family where the parents were Baptists but the children were CofE
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline Danuella

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Thansk Ruskie,its is a very beautiful church,i dot live too far away so have had a visit there :)
Will get on it FS thanks :)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 09:31 GMT (UK) »

This weeks Scavenger Hunt is a confirmation Hunt..... pretty easy     ;D

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,568959.0.html

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

As usual, this Hunt will remain open for any further information which may come in.

Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Wildthing

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 November 16 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Am very new at this, so apologies in advance if I do something wrong!

I believe that one ancestor LYDIA WRIGHT is the one that married WILLIAM WHITING BILNEY.
I believe this Lydia to be the one baptised at Stonham Aspall in 1778.  Unfortunately, the parish register only lists the father's name, SAMUEL WRIGHT, but from other records, I believe her mother was a LYDIA THREDKEL.

From the parish register for St Mary, Bedingfield, Suffolk:-

26 April 1772 William Whiting BILNEY, baseborn son of ELIZABETH BILNEY baptised.

A search on the Suffolk Records Office website, brings up a marriage licence bond:-
'WILLIAM WHITING, yeoman, widower and ELIZABETH BILNEY, singlewoman, both of Bedingfield.  To be married at Bedingfield.  Dated 14 July 1772.'

The actual marriage took place at Bedingfield on 21 July 1772.

I think that this William was buried at Bedingfield on 14 August 1808. His age was ecorded as 74, which would give a DOB as 1734, and that his wife, Elizabeth was buried at same on 6 November 1809, aged 57 (so born abt 1752).

WILLIAM WHITING BILNEY was buried at Helmingham, on 21 April 1849, but his abode is shown as Barham Union Workhouse.

I have found him on the 1841 census for the workhouse (surname under WHITING).  I have also found his wife, LYDIA in the census for 1841 and 1851.  In 1841, she appears to be living on her own, her name is shown as LIDIA BILNER.  In 1851, she can be found at Ashbocking:-

LYDIA WHITTING, lodger, widow, aged 74, birthplace Stonham Asphe.  Occupation shows 'parish relief'.
Head of household is shown as MARY ANN WHITING and 4 of Mary Ann;s children.

Lydia WHITING als BILLINER was buried at Ashbocking on 8 January 1860.

Haven't yet be able to determine who WILLIAM WHITING was married to before Elizabeth, or where he was baptised, but I hope the information I have given above helps you in your searching.

Good Luck!

Regards

Jacqui

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 November 16 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Jacqui.

I'm afraid that Danuella hasn't been on rootschat since August 2012. She has a note by her profile saying that her email is not working - presumably this means she is no longer receiving notifications of replies to her threads which is a shame.

I don't know if there is anything you can do apart from hope that she returns to check one day.

If someone comes along who is researching the same families, then they will be able to join rootschat to make contact with you (this happens quite often) as google searches of "names" often throw up rootschat threads.

If you need any help or can be of help to others, please continue posting. It is always good to have new members.

Good luck.

Offline Danuella

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 07 January 19 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Am very new at this, so apologies in advance if I do something wrong!

I believe that one ancestor LYDIA WRIGHT is the one that married WILLIAM WHITING BILNEY.
I believe this Lydia to be the one baptised at Stonham Aspall in 1778.  Unfortunately, the parish register only lists the father's name, SAMUEL WRIGHT, but from other records, I believe her mother was a LYDIA THREDKEL.

From the parish register for St Mary, Bedingfield, Suffolk:-

26 April 1772 William Whiting BILNEY, baseborn son of ELIZABETH BILNEY baptised.

A search on the Suffolk Records Office website, brings up a marriage licence bond:-
'WILLIAM WHITING, yeoman, widower and ELIZABETH BILNEY, singlewoman, both of Bedingfield.  To be married at Bedingfield.  Dated 14 July 1772.'

The actual marriage took place at Bedingfield on 21 July 1772.

I think that this William was buried at Bedingfield on 14 August 1808. His age was ecorded as 74, which would give a DOB as 1734, and that his wife, Elizabeth was buried at same on 6 November 1809, aged 57 (so born abt 1752).

WILLIAM WHITING BILNEY was buried at Helmingham, on 21 April 1849, but his abode is shown as Barham Union Workhouse.

I have found him on the 1841 census for the workhouse (surname under WHITING).  I have also found his wife, LYDIA in the census for 1841 and 1851.  In 1841, she appears to be living on her own, her name is shown as LIDIA BILNER.  In 1851, she can be found at Ashbocking:-

LYDIA WHITTING, lodger, widow, aged 74, birthplace Stonham Asphe.  Occupation shows 'parish relief'.
Head of household is shown as MARY ANN WHITING and 4 of Mary Ann;s children.

Lydia WHITING als BILLINER was buried at Ashbocking on 8 January 1860.

Haven't yet be able to determine who WILLIAM WHITING was married to before Elizabeth, or where he was baptised, but I hope the information I have given above helps you in your searching.

Good Luck!

Regards

Jacqui
I am absolutely stunned!!! I haven't been able to log in for a while and me and my children were just searching for our names origin and this came up in my browser!!
Jacqui I am absolutely floored!! You have found the connection!! I have been searching for about 2 decades to find him,and you have found him for me!! I am unbelievably grateful to you.
Thank you so so much
Xx