Author Topic: NELTHORPEs of Wattisfield  (Read 2047 times)

Offline debz40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NELTHORPEs of Wattisfield
« on: Tuesday 15 November 11 22:34 GMT (UK) »
My husbands greatx3 grandfather was William Nelthorpe 1821-1899 he lived in Wattisfield. He was a groom, coachman and a Clerk at the church. I am trying to find out more about him but living in Scotland I am unable to get to Wattisfield. I would love to find out how long he was a clerk at the church, which church. I have found him in trade directories as the parish clerk for Wattisfield in 1874,1879, 1888, 1892, and 1896. Is there anything at the church about him. Any help would be lovely.
thank you
Debz
Page, Cripps, Hirst, Westmorland, Moore, Britton, Douthwaite, Storr, Pettitt, Nelthorpe, Vester, Dalton, Puckering & Mate

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Nelthorpe's of Wattisfield
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 23:04 GMT (UK) »
I have not been able to find any information on the Church Warden for the parish church at Wattisfield.  It is likely there is a list of clergy displayed inside the church. The diocesan website changed a while back and I find it really difficult now to find things I used to find quite easily  ::)

No doubt this church is now part of a much larger benefice of several parishes.

It might be worth contacting the Parish Clerk to the Parish Council as he would know to whom to pass your enquiry.
If you go to this page, there are details and an email address for the Clerk:
http://www.wattisfield.suffolk.gov.uk/pc.html

Have you seen the church on Simon's website ?
http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/wattisfield.htm

Unfortunately there is no Local History Recorder in the village at the moment.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nelthorpe's of Wattisfield
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debz

The Suffolk Burial Index records quite a few Nelthorpe burials Wattisfield, St Margaret among them is William buried 19 Dec 1899 age 81 years - 46years a clerk of the parish.

Keziah

Offline debz40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: NELTHORPEs of Wattisfield
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 November 11 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pat for your help. will give it a try....
thank you Debz....  x

Keziah
I really think you have found my guy... is that everything or is there more details about him or family... I am not likely to get anywhere near Suffolk anytime soon so all help gratefully appreciated...
thank you Debz....   x
Page, Cripps, Hirst, Westmorland, Moore, Britton, Douthwaite, Storr, Pettitt, Nelthorpe, Vester, Dalton, Puckering & Mate

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 November 11 07:36 GMT (UK) »
No further details on the SBI re William - it is unlikely that the PR's would have much else but if someone can afford you a Look Up in the Wattisfield PRs you never know your luck.

As there are a further 18 NELTHORP(E) entries on Index I will send you a PM rather than try & list them all on here.

Keziah

Offline pandk2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 22:41 GMT (UK) »
It would be interesting to know whether the Nelthorpes in Wattisfield have any connection with the Nelthorpes in Hockham (and later in Little Cressingham / Great Cressingham), some 20 miles away in Norfolk, or with the Nelthorpes of Lyndford Hall in Mundford (same part of Norfolk).

The top of the tree for the Wattisfield Nelthorpes seems to be Edward Nelthorpe, born about 1795, birth place unclear: 1841 census says Suffolk, 1851 census says British subject (for no apparent reason) and the 1861 census says not known (or perhaps ditto marks [ie Suffolk] not known)