Author Topic: John Templeton  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Templeton
« on: Thursday 17 November 11 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello, if anyone could help I would be very grateful.  I am trying to locate the birth certificate of my great great grandfather John Templeton but I am not having any luck.  I have some information but there are age discrepancies.  He was married in 1889 to Jane Ann Davidson.  His parents were listed as John Templeton (Reputed Father) and Margaret Greig.  His age in 1889 was listed as 33 on the marriage certificate.  However, in the 1911 census, he is listed as 46 years of age.  Iím inclined to believe the age on the census but I am not completely certain.  According to the census he was born in Tillicoultry, Clackmannan.  He relocated to Galashiels when he was a young teen I believe.  Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you very much.
BordersLass
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John Templeton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 11 21:44 GMT (UK) »
The most obvious census entry for John is this one:

Catherina Houten 34
Elizabeth Anderson 14
Margaret Anderson 10
William Anderson 6
John Templeton 5
Daniel George Hengler 4 Days

Address: Mill Street, Tillycoultry

This is from the transcripts so not sure on the spelling of Catherine/a or youngest Daniel's surnames as shown for the actual entry.

From IGI, (Carole has talked about IGI on the other post regarding John Templeton's further! future wife Jane), possibly this may be John's birth entry:

John GREIG b. 5 JUL 1866 in Tillicoultry, Clackmannan. Mother, Catherine GREIG or ANDERSON

Now, you mention from his marriage cert that he gave his mother as Margaret Greig, likely an error? You would need to double check on his death cert to see what other info may show to compare.

Monica† :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 11 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Monica, I will look into the information you have given me further.

Very much appreciated!   :)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 November 11 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage for Catherine Greig to John Anderson on 23 Oct. 1856 in Tillicoultry.

Regarding Daniel George in 1871, wondering whether this may his better transcribed birth entry!

George GREIG HUNTER b. 29 MAR 1871 in Tillicoultry   
Parents: William HUNTER and Catherine ANDERSON

One other child showing to them, Mary Hall Hunter b. 21 Oct 1872 Tillicoultry.

Not sure if parents for these last two married, can't see a marriage entry  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 November 11 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much again!  I'm suspecting that Catherine is actually his mother's name.  I don't know where Margaret came from but mind you, his age was incorrect on his marriage certificate as well.  Starting to wonder if it was legal, lol.  I'm also suspecting that Catherine may have had a number of illegitimate children?!  My great great grandfather definitely being one of them.  It did say on his marriage certificate that his mother was married to a William Hounter (Hunter is close), so I believe Catherine and Margaret are the same woman.

Very confusing!