Author Topic: The Rev. Ponsonby Gouldsbury and Family of Tullamore, Offally  (Read 7092 times)

Offline ian gartlan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Rev. Ponsonby Gouldsbury and Family of Tullamore, Offally
« on: Friday 18 November 11 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
I am interested in any information with regard to the Rev. Ponsonby Gouldsbury, Vicar of Tullamore(1799 – 1830).  I am descended from His daughter whose name I believe was Catherine.

Ponsonby had a brother the Rev, John Henry Gouldsbury of Boyle, in Roscommon, who married Thomasine Meares,  and a sister Lucinda Gouldsbury, who married first William Croghan, and then Richard North  by whom she had two children.  Her daughter married John Armstrong of Louth, her son the parliamentarian John North married Letitia Foster.

I am descended from Ponsonby’s grandson Ponsonby Goldsbury McMahon, who emigrated to Australia, and married Bridget Egan a member of the Greene Family of Myanna from County Kildare.

If anyone knows where I could locate a copy of a book titled The Goldsborough Family written by LE or CE Gouldsbury published in 1868? I would be fascinated!

I have limited knowledge of this family, and any assistance or any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.

Regards
ALLEN: Acrise, Kent; COURT: Acrise, Kent; DOWN: Glastonbury, Somerset; FITZPATRICK: Gouran, Kilkenny; GARTLAN/D: Monaghan/Louth/Meath/Down; GOULDSBURY: Tullamore, Offally; GREEN: Kildare; HOBBS: Bristol, Avon; KEALY: Gouran Kilkenny; KITTERICK: Meath/Monaghan; McMAHON: Ardee, Louth; OMEARA: Gouran, Kilkenny; PICKFORD: Somerton, Somerset; WINDMILL: Glastonbury, Somerset;

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Rev. Ponsonby Gouldsbury and Family of Tullamore, Offally
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 November 11 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 November 11 13:05 GMT (UK) »
What is your source for the booK you are looking for - was it published? Or was it a private family one. if the latter more difficult to track.

"Fitzpatrick in his Life of Charles Lever (1884) recalls how John Lever, the novelist's brother was discharging clerical duties in Tullamore in the 1830's. Their mother died in 1833 and their father was so upset by her death that he moved to Tullamore where he lived with his son until his death, some three months later, at St. Catherine's rectory in April 1833. In a footnote to Fitzpatrick's life is a reference to the rector of the Tullamore of the 1880's, Revd. Graham Craig writes that "Some of Lever's best works were written in this house" i.e. St. Catherine's Rectory, Tullamore. Fitzpatrick does not accept this in an appendix where he cites the "Recollections of Charles Lever's boyhood" by Harry Innes' (a brother in law by reason of Levers sister having married Revd. John Lever). In the short Recollections it is stated that; "there is no man who expressed a greater influence on the character of Charles Lever than the Revd. Ponsonby Gouldsbury, rector of Tullamore (1799-1830) and uncle of Mr. North, M.P. Gouldsbury was intimate with the great men were actors in the French Revolution and with the men, he thought as great, who produced the Irish Revolution of 1782, of which the Union was only the end. Gouldsbury had a dinner party of eight every Thursday - Three talkers and three listeners (the best men of the lot), and two to whom the dinner was a dutie. His cook was an artiste; the dinner and wines - money nor skill could not produce better. But it was the after dinner talk that these feasts si attractive. Gouldsbury had anectoted of great people inexhaustible. With the old man, Lever was an immense favourite. I heard Lever say more than once after a pleasant dinner, that it was not a patch on Gouldsbury's."

Fitzpatrick's book on Lever, and Lever's letters might be interesting, given the above.
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?tn=life+Charles+Lever

You probably have this already:
http://www.bomford.net/IrishBomfords/Chapters/Chapter16/norths_of_ireland.htm
http://lordbyron.org/persRec.php?choose=PersRefs&selectPerson=PoGould1830
http://www.tullamorehistory.com/?p=85

There is a lot of results if you type his name into google books.

PM

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you searched The Ecclesiastical Register as there four Gouldsbury folk mentioned and the area where they served.

Check it out at.  I know the website address is long, but it does work:-

http://books.google.ie/books?id=mXcrAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA204&lpg=PA204&dq=dysert+glebe+1825&source=bl&ots=AcD7QeFAq6&sig=RRY0iBhjd5QX_SurNZ5MAwylTaI&hl=en&ei=Sv_lTt-9FYmLhQfyiPjiAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=gouldsbury

Cheers