Author Topic: Hurstelbury  (Read 4781 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hurstelbury
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 November 11 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Have just found marriage of James to Elizabeth Mintrum on 16 Aug 1829 in Hound. In 1841 their oldest son George is listed as born in 1827 (or rather that is calculated from stated age). There is no baptism in Hound for George Purkis, but there is for George Mintrum, son of Elizabeth Mintrum (single woman). The date of baptism is also 16 Aug 1829. So was that a way of James adopting George as his son, whether or not he was the natural father?
In 1851, George is lodging with Isaac Strong and family. Isaac being one of the other two people born in "Hurstelbury". Co-incidence?
Also in 1851, Elizabeth has just given birth a few days before to unnamed son (Henry), staying with them is Ann Purkiss described as nurse and James's sister in law. Ann is 29 and born in Romsey. Also living in Hound is another Ann Purkiss, also 29 and born in Romsey, the wife of Daniel Purkiss. Were they same person and recorded twice? She was actually helping out with the new baby on census night, but when her husband filled out the form (or more likely told the enumerator because he was probably illiterate) he forgot she wasn't actually there that night. Daniel was the son of Jacob and Mary, so if my theory is correct, then I have James's parents, or at least father. There is a big age gap between James and Daniel, so I'm not ruling out the possibility that they might be half brothers.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 November 11 18:04 GMT (UK) »
What is even more significant, is that above Daniel's schedule in 1851 is Mary, widow aged 69 with grandson, William aged 15, who is missing from the household where Henry was born.  James' son William was baptized 22 Nov 1835!
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 November 11 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I'd missed that one. So it looks as if Mary is James's mother. But Jacob had died before 1851
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 July 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
Just gone back to have another look at my Purkises. George (the oldest son of James and Elizabeth,  baptised as George Mintrum son of Elizabeth Mintrum on the same day as James and Elizabeth married) is listed as George Purkis on censuses and married as George Mintram Purkis to Elizabeth Strong (b Coldhams Common). It's possible she was a relative of Isaac Strong (also born Hurstelbury / Owslebury) and who George was lodging with in 1851.
Still not found where Hannah and the older James fit in. But as they were living in Butlakes Common / Hound makes me think they must be related. 

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 December 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I've found that Elizabeth Strong was a daughter of Isaac Strong and his wife Ann (probably nee Clifft). She had a sister Mary who married George Gibbs. The two children of George and Mary Gibbs are with George Mintram Purkiss in 1861.

I've also found Mary Purkiss in 1841 without Jacob, but in same household as 4 unrelated adult males (possibly lodgers?).
I don't know whether it could be Jacob in Owslebury in 1841 (as Perkins) with the Dole family.