Author Topic: Michael Rice of Taghmon - Finan Family  (Read 7714 times)

Offline Paul44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Rice of Taghmon - Finan Family
« on: Saturday 19 November 11 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information on Michael Rice who was born about 1836 in Co. Westmeath and died in 1929. He married Anne Molloy and raised family in Crookedwood and Taghmon. Need names and dates. Michael was a farm labourer, fisherman, and water bailiff. Michael's son Patrick married Bridget Boyle and among their children was Kathleen Rice who married John Finan. Their sons and daughter reside variously in Athlone, Dublin, and London. Any information appreciated.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Rice of Taghmon - Finan Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 November 11 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Births for some of the children of Michael and Anne appear in the extracted collection of FamilySearch - see : Rice / Molloy birth search

It might be worth following up a birth cert or two for these to narrow down which townland the family lived in (particularly the older children), and try to trace back closer to a marriage for Michael and Anne.

Going by Michael's year of birth and the birth of the oldest child, it would seem that they married before the start of full registration in 1864. So unless they were  non-Catholic, you would need to check for parish records for a possible marriage.

see : 

Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Paul44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 11 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Shane. Looks like I will be looking for Rice family members in the Multyfarnham parish register although Michael Rice and his daughter Mary were eventually in Taghmon - 1901 and 1911 Census; others to Athlone and then Dublin.

Vern

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 11 13:50 GMT (UK) »
You may find that some of the RC  church records could be in Mullingar - at least, I have found some of my lot from that cluster of townlands in Multy, but also some in Mullingar, don't quite know why the went there! Just a thought, may not be relevant at all. (The PP in Multy has the Ledgers in the Parochial House.)
PM

Offline Joe22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 February 12 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Paul,
My Grandmother Bridget Moore (Nee Rice) was the daughter of
Patrick Rice and Bridget Boyle, I knew her two brothers Paddy &  Mick. I will ask my uncle for more information.
Joe

Offline Paul44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 February 12 22:48 GMT (UK) »
It would be great to get in touch and share our family history. I plan on a few field trips this summer looking for parish records, cemetery records, and taking pictures around areas where our families lived. Rice is my Mum's side of the family, she being Bridget Frances (Finan) O'Hara, daughter of John Christopher Finan and Kathleen Gertrude Rice.

I have an O'Hara-Finan family tree that includes my Rice family research on Ancestry.com. If you send me your email address, I can send you an invitation to view the tree.

Neal O'Hara
Kilmainham
Dublin 8, Ireland

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline maolcraoibe2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 June 12 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, i am related to Michael(mick) mentioned in previous correspondence, i have researched rice family , eg 1901 census patrick lived in sligo, 1911 lived in dublin , katie was my aunt. would be interested in any additional info you have

Offline mtgr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 December 12 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i am related to Michael(mick) mentioned in previous correspondence, i have researched rice family , eg 1901 census patrick lived in sligo, 1911 lived in dublin , katie was my aunt. would be interested in any additional info you have

Offline Joe22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul, long time no contact.
Wondering if you made further progress with finding your relations.