Author Topic: GLAND/HENNESSY families  (Read 4826 times)

Offline christmack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
GLAND/HENNESSY families
« on: Sunday 20 November 11 00:06 GMT (UK) »

We have recently obtained the following death certificate but we cannot find any records of the GLAND nor the HENNESSY families prior to these records :

1. Eliza(beth) LAWLOR nee HENNESSY (also spelt LAWLER) who died in New South Wales, Australia in 1930 and it shows her parents as John HENNESSY and Margaret GLAND.

John HENNESSY was a Court Magistrate. John died in Shanagolden, Limerick, Ireland on the 9th March 1885 at 87 years. (born C1798)

Margaret HENNESSY nee GLAND died 24th April 1886 at 81 years. (born C1806)

As well as Eliza(beth) their other children were Thomas, Robert and George HENNESSY.

The records I have checked so far are Roots Ireland, Ancestry and Family Search and they do not reveal anything to add to the above unless I missed something.
There was a family story that this family line went back to Spain so maybe the GLAND family did come from Europe ???

Hoping someone can help me,
Cheers,
Christine

ATTRILL    (Isle of Wight)
BULL        (I of W)
COLLINGWOOD (Lincs, Eng)
ERHAR(D)T (Baden,Germany)
HAIDLE     (Wurt, Germany)
HORWOOD (Isle of Wight)
JUDD        (I of W)
KREUTZMANN(Lubeck-West & Gustrow-East Germany)
LAWLOR (Lim, Ire)
LENEY     (Sussex,Eng)
MACKAY  (Suth, Scot)
MCKEON (Ros, Ire)
NEWIN    (I of W)
NICHOLSON (Ross, Scot)
O'BRIEN (Tipp, Ire)
PAXFORD (Oxford,  Eng)
ROWDEN (M/sex,Eng
SMITH (Hants)
TURNER (Surrey & M/sex, Eng)D
WULFRATH (Gustrow - East Germany)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: GLAND/HENNESSY families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 11 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any idea where Margaret and John were married or born ?

There are very few parishes that have records back to the early 1800s or earlier, so checking for possible baptisms will be very difficult without knowing a location - ideally a townland or parish.

The records I have checked so far are Roots Ireland, Ancestry and Family Search and they do not reveal anything to add to the above unless I missed something.

If the events could have taken place in Co. Kerry, Dublin City certain other areas then you need to add www.irishgenealogy.ie to your list of record sources. Also vital to remember that there are a number of counties, and parts of counties, that dont have records online at the moment.

see :

Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline christmack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 11 21:03 GMT (UK) »

Thank you Shane I will check out all of your suggestions.

I have not been able to find a marriage for Margaret Gland and John Hennessy so far nor where they are from but maybe I will find something out from the links you have given me.

I do think that Margaret Gland is not from Ireland as the surname seems to be more from around France and there are a number in England but I have not been able to confirm this so far.

Thank you again,
Christine
BULL        (I of W)
COLLINGWOOD (Lincs, Eng)
HORWOOD (Isle of Wight)
JUDD        (I of W)
LAWLOR (Lim, Ire)
LENEY     (Sussex,Eng)
MACKAY  (Suth, Scot)
MCKEON (Ros, Ire)
NEWIN    (I of W)
NICHOLSON (Ross, Scot)
O'BRIEN (Tipp, Ire)
PAXFORD (Oxford,  Eng)
ROWDEN (M/sex,Eng
SMITH (Hants)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 November 11 08:48 GMT (UK) »
There were actually quite a few people named GLAND born in Ireland pre-civil registration. Just type Gland (surname) and Ireland (place) in https://www.familysearch.org/ and you'll see.
Many French Huguenots families settled in Ireland so if the Glands were French they could be part of that group.
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

Offline christmack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 00:44 GMT (UK) »

Aghadowey,

Thank you for that suggestion. As mentioned I had tried Family Search before but I did try it again and came up with 15 who were born in Ireland but they were all, at the time of the record, either in the United States or England and Margaret GLAND had already married and therefore was an HENNESSY.

Also as you suggested there were a lot of Hugenot families who came to Ireland so this could well be the French connection.

Thank you again,
Christine
BULL        (I of W)
COLLINGWOOD (Lincs, Eng)
HORWOOD (Isle of Wight)
JUDD        (I of W)
LAWLOR (Lim, Ire)
LENEY     (Sussex,Eng)
MACKAY  (Suth, Scot)
MCKEON (Ros, Ire)
NEWIN    (I of W)
NICHOLSON (Ross, Scot)
O'BRIEN (Tipp, Ire)
PAXFORD (Oxford,  Eng)
ROWDEN (M/sex,Eng
SMITH (Hants)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 02:09 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0hf3/
A brief letter from John Hennesey of Shanagolden.

John HENNESSY was a Court Magistrate. John died in Shanagolden, Limerick, Ireland on the 9th March 1885 at 87 years. (born C1798)

Margaret HENNESSY nee GLAND died 24th April 1886 at 81 years. (born C1806)

As well as Eliza(beth) their other children were Thomas, Robert and George HENNESSY.

Did Robert Thomas and George stay in Ireland?
What is your source for the death and the "Court Magistrate" bit - just for having a look for an Obit.

PM

Offline christmack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 09:04 GMT (UK) »

PM,

Thank you for the article from John Hennessy. At the moment I am trying to work out how to copy that section so that I can paste it into my records for JH.

As far as I know the Brothers all stayed in Ireland as a reply to a letter sent to the Sergeant of Police in 1926 states that as far as they knew they all died in Dublin.

On the original death certificate for John Hennessy it states that he died on the 8th March 1885 at Shanagolden, that he was married and 87 years old. He was an ex-Clerk of Petty Sessions.
His son Thomas was present at the death in Shanagolden.

His Church Burial record says the same except that he died on the 9th and that his denomination was Church of Ireland.

I only have the Civil death record for Margaret Hennessy nee GLAND and it states she died at Shanagolden on 24th April 1886 at Shanagolden, that she was a Widow and 81 years of age, that she was the wife of a Petty Session's ex Clerk and that the informant was her Son, Robert Hennessy and his address was Shanagolden.

In the reply to the letter written from here in Australia in 1926 to the Police Sergeant in Limerick, Ireland  they stated that John HENNESSY, Clerk of Petty Sessions and his wife Margaret both died in Shanagolden, Limerick around 1886. (We do know that John died in 1885).

It also said that they had 3 sons, Robert, George and Thomas. (And of course Eliza(beth) .

1. Robert was Head Warder in the Mountjoy Prison in Dublin and when retired he obtained a position in Findlater's, Dublin.
2. George became Clerk of Petty Sessions in Shanagolden after his Father. It was believed he later went to Dublin where he died.
3. Thomas was a member of the Royal Irish Constabulary and was believed to have died also in Dublin around 1914.

4. Their daughter was Eliza(beth) who married William LAWLOR and she was born around 1840. They cam to Australia in 1865 on the ship the "Royal Dane".

The surname of their Mother Margaret was listed as GLAND.

Thank you again,
Christine
BULL        (I of W)
COLLINGWOOD (Lincs, Eng)
HORWOOD (Isle of Wight)
JUDD        (I of W)
LAWLOR (Lim, Ire)
LENEY     (Sussex,Eng)
MACKAY  (Suth, Scot)
MCKEON (Ros, Ire)
NEWIN    (I of W)
NICHOLSON (Ross, Scot)
O'BRIEN (Tipp, Ire)
PAXFORD (Oxford,  Eng)
ROWDEN (M/sex,Eng
SMITH (Hants)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Looks like that letter was followed up:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0hfz/

Here is Robert in Mounjoy:
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1902/nov/20/irish-prison-officials-chief-warder

Maryborough Prison is in Co. Laois:
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/search.xml?query=Maryborough+Convict+Prison+&query.x=3&query.y=20

If you are having trouble saving these items, just PM me and I'll save them and send.

Did you find Robert, Thomas and George on the 1901/1911 census of Ireland? I had a quick look but couldn't find any of them....? Just wondering if they had descendants who might have info about Margaret Gland. Only came across that surname once before, in Co. Sligo, where it had variants Glind and Glanny, apart from what you found in the IGI.

Will have a look further for obit/s

PM

Offline christmack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 21:50 GMT (UK) »

PM,

Thank you so much for those extracts.
I was away from my computer yesterday so I  have only seen your reply just now.

At least this prves that we are going in the right direction but it would very great if we could find out more especially on John Hennessy and his wife Margaret nee GLAND.

I cannot seem to find out where they were born. Even the birthplace of the children is a mystery.

By the way I did manage to copy those pages you sent, you will laugh but I had forgotten to turn my printer on !!!

I have not found the sons yet on the 1911 census but if the reply to the letter of 1926 is correct I guess that they would have died before then but I will follow up on the 1901 census.

Christine
BULL        (I of W)
COLLINGWOOD (Lincs, Eng)
HORWOOD (Isle of Wight)
JUDD        (I of W)
LAWLOR (Lim, Ire)
LENEY     (Sussex,Eng)
MACKAY  (Suth, Scot)
MCKEON (Ros, Ire)
NEWIN    (I of W)
NICHOLSON (Ross, Scot)
O'BRIEN (Tipp, Ire)
PAXFORD (Oxford,  Eng)
ROWDEN (M/sex,Eng
SMITH (Hants)