Author Topic: Maiden Name of Great Grandmother  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Maiden Name of Great Grandmother
« on: Sunday 20 November 11 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the maiden name of my great grandmother but keep hitting wall's,she is recorded on the 1911 census as Lina or Lena Jones giving her birth as 1861 at Maidstone,Kent and on the 1901 census as betsy Jones birth 1859 Heathfield,Sussex, and I did think at one point that perhaps they had been different people,she can not be found on the 1891 or 1881 censuses as Jones that is if she is married! at this point,the first child that I have for her is 1880,Betsy/Lena was married! to Obed/Obee Jones,no marraige as been found nor any birth registration's ,I have searched with other varients of the first and surname's, if they are not a couple by the 1881 census to which Obed is not recorded as single or even on it neither the 1891 unless they have adopted another surname which was sometimes the case with Romany/Gyspy folk so I wonder if I am on a lost cause or looking to hard,I have looked at other surname's of the people that they had been living with but still nothing, any idea's family researcher's
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden Name of Great Grandmother
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There is a marriage between Obed Jones & Selina Tomsett 1902 Maidstone, Kent (vol 2a 1728).

Selina Tomsett born 1864 Maidstone Kent (vol 2a 514)

Could they have married late?

Sharon

Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 11 14:48 GMT (UK) »
thank you sharon that may be the case, but I know that there was another Oded Jones in Maidstone who was not related and my Obed had a son called Obed and Obed's brother Samuel also had a son who he called Obed, one I have a marriage for,the other not,so may be it is that Obed, thanks once again I will look into that marriage.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline Mathoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 11 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Another variation on Obed might be Obediah

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 November 11 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Obed Jones married Pheobe Eastwood 1915 Gravesend Kent

Another record

Births December qtr 1917   
Noah Eastwood  mothers maiden name Jones  Maidstone  2a 1214
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 November 11 17:30 GMT (UK) »
The Oded who married Phoebe Eastwood is desended from my great grandfather's older Brother Samuel,

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Obed Jones Marraige 1902 to Selina Tomsett, the only other Selina Tomsett that I can find is on the 1901 census as the wife of William Thomsett and since Obed is with a Betsy also on the 1901 census he Obed is not at that point married to Selina, assuming that the other Selina is the same person, both Selina's give their birth as Maidstone, Kent, would Selina use the Tomsett surname on re marrying in place of her original birth surname,I am not up on marraige and divorce if there had been a divorce!

Offline Lamps1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have only just come across this post but i have had my Ancestry DNA done and i match a person who has Obed Jones and family in their tree. Obed first wife was Betsey Harris of Heathfield who i think is my link to Obed as my line is the Harris family of Sussex. Betsey died in 1902 and the following year Obed married Selina Tomsett.
I am trying to establish who Betsey parents were??? Any ideas anybody
Roberts/Deacon/Barber/Rhoades/Mayo/Beeny/Johnson/Light/Whitehorn all of Sussex/Surrey/Dorset