Author Topic: Duffy and Smith in Kilmainham Wood  (Read 11325 times)

Offline Baird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Private 10576 Thomas Baird 1890 - 1916
    • View Profile
Duffy and Smith in Kilmainham Wood
« on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone assist with this family.
Mary Duffy born in Scotland in 1878. Parents were John Duffy and Catherine Smith who stated they married in Kilmainham Wood Co, Meath in February 1860.
4 other children all born in Ireland. Phillip in 1862/ Peter in 1864/ John in 1866 and James in 1876. This may suggest they moved to Ayrshire between 1876 and 1878. Catherine Smith died in Scotland in 1889 and her parents were named as Peter Smith and Mary Reilly. Any onfo on this family, especially the parents of John Duffy would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou,
Baird
Rutherglen;Baird/Adair/Ferguson/Reid
Strathaven;Shearer , Orr
Beith;Steel 
Glasgow;Donnelly,McSorley,Burns
County Tyrone;McSorley
Eaglesham;Paton
 All;McAlonan and variants 
Sligo;Burns 
2nd. bat Seaforth Highlanders 1914-16.
2nd. bat. KOSB 1914-18.
1/8th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-15
5th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-17
1st. Bat. Scots Guards 1914-15
HMS Biarritz 1915-16
K Class Submarines  K10 and K11

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Duffy and Smith in Kilmainham Wood
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Full Civil registration started here in 1864..might be an idea to start  with the births of one or two of the later children (i.e. Peter, John or James) to confirm the connection and to establish which townland they were living  in, John snr's occupation etc.

Do you know what denomination your Duffy / Smith families were ?

Full registration of marriages started in 1864, but non-Catholic marriages were recorded from 1845... so if for example your Duffy/Smith families were Church of Ireland there may be a civil record of the marriage.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:19 GMT (UK) »
3 of the children listed in Irish births (www.familysearch.org) with exact dates slightly different from what you posted-

Peter Duffy born 24 Sept.1864 Nobber Co.Meath, parents- John Duffy & Catharine Smyth.

John Duffy born 5 Jan.1867 Nobber registration district Co. Meath (page 888 in civil register), parents- John Duffy & Catherine Smyth.

James Duffy born 22 Sept.1875 Nobber Co. Meath, parents John Duffy & Catherine Smith.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:23 GMT (UK) »

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:24 GMT (UK) »
aghadowey beat me to it with the extracted births - here's a link to them so you can view them  
    Duffy / Smith births

The 'place of birth' on these is usually a district rather than an actual townland.

The page 888 on the record for John corresponds to this index record :

Name: John Duffy
  Registration district: Kells
  Event type: Birth
  Year: 1867
  Volume:   2 / Page : 888

You can use these details to order a research cert from the GRO.

See : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Baird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Private 10576 Thomas Baird 1890 - 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to you all for the swift responses and the magnificent leads.

Baird
Rutherglen;Baird/Adair/Ferguson/Reid
Strathaven;Shearer , Orr
Beith;Steel 
Glasgow;Donnelly,McSorley,Burns
County Tyrone;McSorley
Eaglesham;Paton
 All;McAlonan and variants 
Sligo;Burns 
2nd. bat Seaforth Highlanders 1914-16.
2nd. bat. KOSB 1914-18.
1/8th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-15
5th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-17
1st. Bat. Scots Guards 1914-15
HMS Biarritz 1915-16
K Class Submarines  K10 and K11

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 November 11 13:39 GMT (UK) »
If the family were either RC or Church of Ireland then it looks like you may have a problem finding earlier church records.. the civil parish for the area is Kilmainham, sometimes referred to as KilmainhamWood, and includes the town and townland of Kilmainham and 13 other townlands.

The reference to the the registrars district of Nobber in the extracted birth for John matches, as it includes the civil parish of Kilmainham.

The corresponding RC parish is KilmainhamWood & Moybologue, and this has baptism and marriage records going back to 1867/68

The Church of Ireland parish of KilmainhamWood only has baptisms back to 1881, and marriages back to 1852. CofI marriages would be included in civil records since 1845.

Griffith's Valuation show several Smith household in Kilmainham[Wood] townland - a Corneilius, Philip & James. See : http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml   
(try the search by placename option -Returns for this area are dated 1854)

There are also a number of Duffy households in the area - select the name search - enter Duffy, select Co. Meath, and civil parish of Kilmainham

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 November 11 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Lewis 1837:

Kilmainham Wood Meath
Parish: Kilmainham Wood
KILMAINHAM-WOOD, a parish, in the barony of LOWER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. W.) from Nobber, on the road from Kells to Kingscourt; containing 1454 inhabitants, of which number, 147 are in the village, in which are 25 houses.

This parish is the property of Anthony Strong Hussey, Esq.: there are some quarries of stone procured for building, a tuck and a corn-mill, and a few looms employed by the inhabitants for their own use. The village contains a constabulary police station and a dispensary; a good fair for store cattle is held in it on May 5th.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and in the gift of A. S. Hussey, Esq., in whom the rectory is impropriate: the parish is tithe free, and the income of the vicar consists of a money payment from the impropriator, with an augmentation from Primate Boulter's fund. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. The church is a plain building, erected in 1803, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £135.

In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is united with part of Bailieborough, or Moybologue, in the diocese of Kilmore, called the union or district of Moybologue or Tivorcher, in each of which is a chapel.

There is a private school of about 100 children.

PM

Added later - re mention of looms, see Smith, Smyth etc on this: - I haven't checked it, but always useful.
http://www.failteromhat.com/flax/meath.htm

Offline McHattie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 October 17 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I searched for info on my great-great grandparents and came across you query which clarifies my information is correct.

My ancestors names were John Duffy and Catherine Smith/Smyth and my great grandfather and mother James Duffy (b. 1875- I just obtained/ordered a copy of his birth certificate) and Margaret Lynch.

I have been able to trace both sets of great great great grandparents but not too sure if they are indeed correct.  Peter Smith and Mary Riley; and James Duffy and Mary Swift.

Are you still researching the family tree and do you have any further information?  Do you live in Scotland? 

Woudl be great to hear from all relatives