Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Thompsons at Stanground  (Read 7591 times)

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* Thompsons at Stanground
« on: Sunday 20 November 11 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me find marriage information for the children of Carrier Thompson (b 1695 Farcet, d 1753 or 1757) and Hannah Smith.  Through IGI I believe they married in Stanground in 1716 and that the surviving children are Mary (b 1717), Robert (b 1722), Isaac Newton (b 1725), James (b 1731).  [4 others died as infants and 1 aged 19.]
My possible ancestor is Robert
Thank you :)
anniecat

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thompsons at Stanground
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 November 11 15:20 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a lot of Thompson's on FreeReg including Carrier. The only possible marriage I could find though was for Isaac marrying Anne Nichols 31/5/1764 at Farcet. Don't know if it is the one you are looking for though.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 November 11 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you and I will follow that up.   :)

I see that both groom and bride made their mark on the marriage register.  I know that Isaac Newton Thompson went to Cambridge University so, regrettably, I don't think this can be his marriage.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 November 11 16:47 GMT (UK) »
When a member submission, as opposed to an extracted entry, on the IGI says they married in about 1716 in Stanground, it usually means that the submitter didn't have a clue as to the date or place.  Member submissions should be read with a large pot of salt close by.

Hunts Marriage Index has no marriage in Stanground, or any other place in Hunts, in 1716, or any other date, for Carrier Thom(p)son. And searching against Hannah Smith produces the same result.

Give us a clue regarding Robert. When and where did he baptise children? You have no idea as to who his wife was? I can't see any marriages of a Robert in Farcet.

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 November 11 18:19 GMT (UK) »
David,

The 9 children of Carrier and Hannah were baptised between 1717 and 1736 (the last deduced from a death record) purportedly at Stanground and all have batch and source call numbers on the IGI site.  One of the children is Robert baptised in 1722.

"My" Robert Thonpson married a Mary and their children were baptised in Woolsthorpe nr Grantham, the oldest, Edward, in March 1748/9.

(Hannah Snith, wife of Carrier Thompson, is the daughter of Benjamin Smith, half brother of Sir Isaac Newton.)

Any help?

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 November 11 20:28 GMT (UK) »
The vital sentence is in the Messages box on the IGI Individual Record page - "Form submitted by a member of the LDS Church ". The Source Call numbers say the source is "Patron ordinance submission sheets, 1969-1991 ". I don't think the last one was deduced from a death record - Newton Tompson was buried at Stanground on 2 May 1755, but no age is given.

None of the entries on the IGI for children of Carrier and Hannah are extracted from the parish register. They're all member submissions, which can vary in quality from well researched to pure fiction. These look as though they might be towards the top end of the scale! Stanground parish register has been filmed by the LDS, and you need to check that to confirm the baptisms.

Definitely a help, in that I know which set of Hunts Marriage Index fiches to look at

There's no marriage of a Robert in Hunts between 1735 and 1754

The only Thompson marriage in Stanground was in 1739 between Cornelius and Ann Wilton

I'd look next at Northants - a look up request in Northants Marriage Index for a marriage of Robert between 1740-50.

Did Carrier leave a will - with luck it might name "my son Robert of Woolsthorpe". I've never been that lucky though!

But looking at your Robert's children on the IGI (extracted items, so reliable) there doesn't seem to be any naming pattern emerging. Is there anything that causes you to think he might be the Robert from Stanground?

David

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your time in researching this for me, and the advice on reliability.   :)
The reason why I am looking to see if there could be a connection with the Robert of Stanground and the Robert of Woolsthorpe is a family assertion that our family of Thompsons are related in some way to Sir Isaac Newton.  I believe I have traced the family back to the Robert at Woolsthorpe, Lincolnshire and the Robert of Stanground is of the right age and is in the right part of the country.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm usually pretty sniffy about family stories, although I have been known to admit that there is often an element of truth in them. I'm also on record as saying that I don't believe in coincidences.

Sir Isaac Newton was born at Woolsthorpe Lincs, which is where your Robert Thompson baptised children. Coincidence #1

Sir Isaac had a half brother Benjamin Smith who baptised a daughter Hannah in Lincs on 25 July 1694. This Hannah would have been of the right age to have married Carrier Thompson c1716, and to have started baptising children in Stanground in 1717, who included two Newton Thompsons and an Isaac Newton Thompson. Coincidence #2. Either Carrier was a big fan of Sir Isaac, or there was a family connection!

A lot of coincidences here. Too many to be coincidences?

A pity your Robert in Woolsthorpe didn't name any of his children Isaac, or Newton, or Carrier!

I think you're probably right. But to stand a chance of proving it you need two marriages - Robert Thompson and Mary, and Carrier Thompson and Hannah Smith. Unless someone has found a will which proves the connection, it looks to me as though all the Ancestry trees have either copied each other (undoubtedly) or someone has made the connection via the childrens' names. No-one seems to have the marriage between Carrier and Hannah, so it's an assumption that she was Smith. Wills may be the way to go.

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I've found the will of Carrier Tompson of Peterborough dated 18 January 1755, in which he leaves bequests to
- his son Isaac Newton Tompson
- his son James Tompson
- his daughter Mary Tompson (so she was still single in 1755)
- "to Ann the widow of my late son Robert Tompson deceased for whom I had well provided in his lifetime I give one hundred pounds for mourning for herself and children"
- no other family members, or anyone else for that matter, are mentioned.

As Robert and Mary in Woolsthorpe were baptising children up to 1767 I fear that Carrier's will has put the kibosh on any connection between them and Sir Isaac Newton. Now what was I saying about coincidences?

Did Carrier leave a will - with luck it might name "my son Robert of Woolsthorpe". I've never been that lucky though!
My run of bad luck continues!

I did say that "wills may be the way to go". But I wasn't expecting them to disprove your theory.

Sorry!

David