Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Thompsons at Stanground  (Read 7593 times)

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thompsons at Stanground
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information.  It may have disproved my theory but it has saved me many many hours, days etc of research.

The marriage of Carrier Thompson of Stanground to Hannah Smith is referred to in the "memoir of Newton, sent to Richard Mead in four instalments dated 26 June to 22 July 1727 by William Stukeley" which I found on-line as part of The Newton Project  (chart plus a later clarification "Hannah Smith = Carrier Thompson in the genealogy").

I will revert to researching Robert and Mary of Woolsthorpe   - perhaps the family over the centuries has been confused between the two Lincolnshire Woolsthorpes and the shared Thompson name.  (The Woolsthorpe baptisms are Woolsthorpe by Belvoir, rather than Woolsthorpe by Colsterworth where Woolsthorpe Manor is located, very confusing as they are vey close geographically.)  We also had the name Carrier [or Carter] Thompson in our oral history.

I have really appreciated your help.  Thank you again  :)
Judith

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thompsons at Stanground
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 16:32 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage of Carter Thompson and Ann Smith on 20 Nov 1707 at Grimsby Lincs (member submission - all the usual caveats!) . Might be worth looking at.

I looked this morning at Sir Isaac's background and had drawn up a chart which looks just like the one the great man had drawn. Nice to have confirmation about Carrier Thompson though.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock