Author Topic: Edward Rainsford Esq Kilkenny Ireland 1700s  (Read 20340 times)

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Rainsford Esq Kilkenny Ireland 1700s
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 January 12 21:13 GMT (UK) »
What a wonderful surprise that you would take the time on a holiday to start off my new year with such a boon. Thank you firstly for your kindness and secondly for the suggestions. Yes, there are a number of Bridget Rainsfords and a variety of spellings of the last name. What I appear to need is a "missing link," either a person or an event that will reveal her origins. You are right that I need to widen my horizons to other areas. I may have been looking for Bridget in all the wrong places.

I will continue seeking a birth and marriage record for her and return to some places I have searched before as well as trying new places you have suggested.

I was wondering where you found the list that you included in the post, please.

Thank you, again, for your thoughtfulness. I hope to hear of anything else you may find as the new year progresses. In turn, I hope you may find the connections that you are seeking.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 January 12 21:15 GMT (UK) »
That list looks like it's a summary of results for Bridget Rainsford baptisms from the RootsIreland website between about 1820 and 1850.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 January 12 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Shane. And particular thanks for answering on a holiday. As a newcomer to this website, I am indeed impressed by the helpfulness of the members and forum leaders here.

Offline genesearch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I've done some work on the Joseph Michael Rainsford and those Plantation Acres In Kilkenny.

UPDATE
It turns out these Plantations were from an earlier Plantation from Ulster.
Namely Presbyterians from Scotland.

Joseph Michael Rainsford Descent

This Joseph Michael Rainsford is descended from a Michael Rainsford from Blessington Co. Wicklow.
Michael Rainsford was a GUNSMITH and some various businesses in Dublin City circa 1750's.

OUTCOME
I think I have finally cracked the lineage to this Michael Rainsford.

However there were MANY Rainsford's coming and going from Kiltegan Wicklow, Hacketstown in Wicklow
and from Carlow.
These were constantly moving back and forth from Kilkenny and Queen's County now Co. Laois and Athy Kildare.

I suspect my lineage comes from Wicklow and more specifically the Kiltegan Rainsford's.

Thank you to all for your support.
There were many red herrings and badly Transcribed BMD's from various websites.
I got a lot of help from Archivists in Dublin City over the last 3 months.

Take Care all.
Genesearch1

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 March 12 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations on finding out more about your Rainsford ancestor!  You have also given me some other places to look for my ancestor, Bridget Rainsford. On an England/Wales census, she said she was born in 1828 in Castlecomer, Kilkenny, but perhaps she was mistaken or misremembered....or was deliberately misleading the census taker!

So I will look for her in the other places that you mentioned that you found Rainsfords. She left Ireland before the beginning of civil registration, so I'm somewhat limited. But hope springs eternal.

Offline genesearch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 March 12 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I found this query from 2005 - i was wondering if it has any relevance to your Bridget Rainsford.

Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Nov 2005 4:35PM
Surnames: Rainsford, Thompson, Stone, Allcock, Spiers
Bridget Rainsford born Dublin or Castlecomer in 1831 or 1828.
She married Joseph Thompson, had a baby in Dublin in 1852, and moved to England by 1856.

Surnames that marry into the Thompson family are Stone, Allcock and Spiers.

Has anyone run across Bridget and her kin?

Thank you.

Can u tell me any information on far you have got with any brothers and sisters she may have had around 1850's etc. She would have been 22 then right??

Here's how u can do this:
Go to rootsireland.ie
You can conduct searches for these years say 1850 and press +or - 20 years.
A whole list will display.

Then unfortunately you have to pay, via visa card to view the records.

NOTE - I just checked their website and they have upgrade it just TODAY of all days.

I have found 3 marriages from Castlecomer :

1 Marriage : 29-OCT-1848 Elizabeth "Betty" Rainsford to John Brennan.
2 Marriage:    6-FEB-1841  Catherine Rainsford to Thomas Purcell.
3 Marriage :    3 -FEB -1860  Mary Rainsford to Brian Doyle.

The reason I asked do you know if Bridget had any brothers and sisters because you could find out
if any of the above are related to her.

Then use that to see if the siblings can lead you to a Father or Mother.

Hope this helps u along the way !!

Genesearch1

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 March 12 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that is my post! I don't remember where, perhaps RootsWeb. Bridget is the "mystery woman" on my family tree so far. Her first child was born in Dublin, the rest in England.

I do not know any of her siblings, if any. I have gone through LDS microfilm and the recommended census replacement sources to no avail. I have not found her marriage to Joseph Thompson. I did find a baptism for Mary Elizabeth Thompson with the father as Joseph Thompson in 1850 in Dublin, which may be Joseph and Bridget's first child as the name is correct and the date possible.

There is also the possibility that Bridget was born in Dublin as on one England/Wales census in later years she states that she was born there in 1831. However, she was in her 60s at the time and I think the earlier data would have been the more accurate.  Also, a child may have given the later data.

I understand there were Rainsfords in the fishing tackle business in Dublin and wonder if Bridget could have been one of them as she worked for Allcock's Fishing Tackle Company, tying fishing flies at home in Redditch around 1871-1881.

As for the Irish websites, I can understand that organizations that provide Irish records need to charge for their services. But I have so little background information that, for me, it could get beyond my funds very quickly.

I'll surely keep the information on the marriages that you so kindly looked up and provided. Perhaps it's possible I will find her with one of the Rainsford women you shared. If you are out any funds in looking up the three marriages, I'd very much like to reimburse you.

Thank you for your kindness.

Regards,
Bobbi L

Offline genesearch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 23 March 12 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bobbi,

First don't worry about reinburshing me for anything !!

I'm sure there is a way of finding it out.

The rootsireland.ie website uploads these records as they find them.

Regards the Baptism of Bridget Rainsford in 1829
It is an ongoing thing, so it really depends on when they find it and upload it. !

The Baptism will have the Fathers name on it.

2 - Also you can email the Kilkenny Genealogy Society.
I will send u the email in a private message.

Conclusion
I think your closer to finding the answer !!
The reason being that I found one on their webiste from 1750 only last dec so it's only a matter of time.

genesearch

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 23 March 12 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your graciousness regarding your search on the website. I appreciate your time and effort and any cost you incurred.

Just an fyi, Bridget's birth year according to the census was 1828.

I have searched LDS microfilm of a church in Castlecomer, I forget which one, and it had records way back. Unfortunately, the records for 1928 were partially destroyed and missing from the photos on the microfilm. Either water damage or general deterioration had destroyed part of the records for the year 1928. I did look through the whole film, just in case something might be there.  Just my luck that the year I wanted was badly damaged. However, there may be other church records than that one, and I shall make the suggested contacts.

Many thanks for your suggestions and your encouragement. Those Rainsfords sure do like to hide.

Bobbi L