Author Topic: Strood, Kent, Poor Law Union  (Read 20620 times)

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Strood, Kent, Poor Law Union
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 09:47 BST (UK) »
Here are the birth details of Frederick Valentine and Herbert William.

Minnie Fay and Reginal Alfred on next post.

Eliza is Eliza Butler, possible death in Strood Jun 1893, possible birth Medway Dec 1866.

Note there is a different address for each birth so looks like they moved around a lot.

Still can't find any Marriages for Eliza or Minnie to Frederick Banks.

Elliot, Elliott, Kent, Strood Workhouse, Farningham Home for Little Boys

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 09:49 BST (UK) »
Minnie Fay and Reginald Alfred birth certd

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 14 June 12 17:24 BST (UK) »
Frederick Valentine Banks marriage to Catherine Upton, note he was a widower but I still have not found any previous marriages.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 23 December 12 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Has anybody made any progress?  I keep coming back to this but without anything to add.  I haven't been able to identify Frederick Valentine BANKS with any certainty in any census prior to 1891 nor his marriage to Eliza.  Neither can I yet establish what became of Minnie (born 1895).

Searching for a Minnie ELLIOTT again today I came across the following which may or may not be of any significance:

Marriage at Fort Frances, Rainy River, Ontario, Canada 27 Apr 1927
Doris Marjorie WELLS of Fort Frances, Rainy River, Erno, Ontario born England age 16 parents George Wm WELLS and Minnie ELLIOTT
Frederick Lionel Green born England age 22 parents F L GREEN and Katherine POWELL

Passenger list for the "Metagama" arriving St John, New Brunswick, Canada 24 Mar 1919 - family destined for Sidney NS:
George William WELLS 34 railway worker
Minnie 39 wife
Ernest A Edward 13
Doris Marjorie 8

If you search the free 1911 census index at http://www.familysearch.org and http://www.1911census.co.uk for a Minnie WELLS born Limerick up pops one age 31 in Swindon!  The age is a bit out but searching http://www.1911census.co.uk again for WELLS in Swindon with other member of the household a Minnie WELLS confirms it's the same family as in the passenger list.

The free 1911 index at http://www.familysearch.org shows George William WELLS 25 b.Grefton Oxford, Minnie 31 b.Limerick, Ernest 5 b.Silvertown and Doris b.Rotherhithe.

There's a couple of things that stood out here ............... Minnie born Limerick although the age is out a bit, they were living in Swindon 1911 (not that far from Bath) and they emigrated to Canada which could be why Reginald says his father (actually step father WELLS) is a (albeit deceased) rancher on his marriage.

Obviously I don't want to be sending anybody down some false path ............ any thoughts?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 24 December 12 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Not much progress has been made here since birth certs etc were obtained.

Will look at this but it seems unlikely, only reason Reginald was in Bath was because he was sent to hospital during the WW1 and presumably met my Grandmother and got married.

Have been in touch with someone who is a relative of one of his half brothers and they have the same problem with the Banks family being rather illusive.

Thanks for rturning to this now and then.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 24 December 12 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the information about Reginald's reason for being in Bath - we needn't centre too much on that then but I've just realised that the given birthplace of Ernest A Edward "WELLS" bc1905/6 in the 1911 cesus free index was Silvertown ............. Silvertown is where "your" Minnie's parents (William John and Elizabeth Theodosia ELLIOTT) were living at the time of the 1911 census isn't it?  Again, possibly of significance or pure coincidence?  Incidentally, I couldn't immediately see a likely marriage for George William WELLS and Minnie ELLIOTT ::)

I came across this little snippet giving a date of birth for Doris Marjorie http://www.ancestraltrails.ca/walker%20for%20web-o/p985.htm#i24565 but no source given for cross checking unfortunately.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 09 August 13 11:28 BST (UK) »
I happened to be doing some research in Essex and this looks like it could be E A E (WELLS') baptism just in case in happens to be relevant at some point.

Ernest Arthur Edward son of Albert Edward and Minnie WINGROVE baptised St Mark, Victoria Docks, Essex 21 Feb 1906 (born 29 Jan 1906) of 25 Tate Road, labourer.

Offline Gibbs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, Iam just starting a search on behalf of Bert Elliott who was in the Framingham Boys home for his granddaughter......can someone get in touch?

thanks

Offline denmcn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 19 January 19 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Can't believe I'm only seeing this thread now!.  My line are the Elliotts, Minnie Grace Elliott (mother of Bert, Reginald and Minnie) being my 1st cousin 3x removed).

As far as I can see Minnie Grace and Frederick Valentine never married, at least I cant find a record for it anyway. Frederick was fond of the women - he had a son by an Eliza Butler (Frederick Valentine), cant find a marriage record there either.

He then had Bert, Reginald and MInnie with Minnie Grace Elliott, she's disappeared on me after Reggies birth. He then married Catherine Upton and had another few children after that. I'm doing to head off now to check out the WELLS connection - thanks for the heads up on that.

Minnie's three kids are with him (and Catherine Upton Banks) in the 1901 census but then they seem to have been put into the Homes over the next few years. Minnie's sister Eliza Collins (nee Elliott) is mentioned as is a Mrs Elliott in various transcripts.

The last sighting I have of Minnie junior is a record dated 12 May 1909 when she was discharged from the workhouse to a Convalescent Home in Sandgate. Can find neither a 1911 census or death record for her  :-\

Bert or Herbert - I have him in 1911 in Wales working on a farm but dont have anything for him after that. Would love to hear from the previous poster if you read this.

Reggie / Reginald - bit of an enigma for me tbh. He was christened as Reggie Alfred Banks. Once the three kids went into the Homes their names went back to Elliott. However somewhere along the way Reggie Alfred Banks became Reginald Patrick T(have seen Tarleton mentioned) Elliott. I was very sceptical that this was "my" Reggie until I noticed in this military files that this next of kin was brother Herbert and that he was born in Strood, Kent in 1898.

That's the long and short of it for me - all this is documented on my Ancestry tree here www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/4411541/person/-523491530/facts The tree is public so please feel free to take a look - I'm very open to being told that I'm wrong  ;D

Best wishes
Denise
Main Interests:
Dublin - McEvoy, Roe, Snowdon/Snowden, McCarthy, Scarry, Reardon
Newcastle - Snowdon
Portsea - Elliott
Glouchester - Elliott
London - Feary
Grendon, Northants - Feary
Offaly - Larkin, Coghlan, Seery, McEvoy, Hogan
Longford - Clinton, Kenny, Mulholland
Cork - Scarry, Reardon/Riordan/O'Reardon/O'Riordan, Shea, Walsh, Harding, Geany