Author Topic: MORE HELP PLEASE for George Campbell and family .  (Read 4874 times)

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MORE HELP PLEASE for George Campbell and family .
« on: Thursday 24 November 11 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Grateful if someone would do a look up for me  for a George Campbell born c 1791 in Perthshire.

I found him on 1841 census living in Ash Bank Blairgowrie with his wife Catherine Isles  born   1798

in Bendochy Perthshire.

Where was he in 1851 and 1861 census.

Thanks

suzilad

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please for George Campbell and family .
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 November 11 22:44 GMT (UK) »

Grateful if someone would do a look up for me  for a George Campbell born c 1791 in Perthshire.

I found him on 1841 census living in Ash Bank Blairgowrie with his wife Catherine Isles  born   1798

in Bendochy Perthshire.

Where was he in 1851 and 1861 census.

Thanks

suzilad

1861 Lochee, Angus as transcribed at Ancestry

George Campbell   73 born Dundee
Catherine Campbell   61 born Caputh
Ebenezer Campbell   21 born Blairgowrie
Mary Campbell   19 born Blairgowrie
Ellis Brown   20
Betsy Crawford   20

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MORE HELP PLEASE for George Campbell and family .
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 December 11 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I am not much making much headway with this family .
This is all I have been able to find
George Campbell died in 1867 and Catherine Isles his wife died in 1880 both in the Lochee area of Dundee George Findley their grandson reg Georges death and  Ebenezer Campbell reg Catherines death. I have all  the information on Ebenezer and his family. George another of their  sons married Isobel Watson and went to Australia in 1855
Janet married? George Findlay and had one son George b c 1849
Elizabeth married  John Low in 1854 in Bendochy
Catherine married ? ????? Martin and had one son Mathew c 1845  he is living with his aunt Elizabeth and her husband in Edinburgh in 1881 but what happened to the sons of Catherine and George
James b c1828  William b c 1832 , Mathew b c 1834 and their daughter Mary b c 1838.

Any further help or advice much appreciated.
Regards,
suzilad

Offline Ruxton24

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 September 16 06:29 BST (UK) »
This George Campbell (and there are lots of them) is a direct line for me.  They had a son George who married Isobel Watson and they immigrated to Australia in 1855.  They settled in a town called Mudgee about 3 hours north west of Sydney.  He worked as a blacksmith/engineer there and set up a business called the Vulcan Engineering Company.  If you want more information on him and his descendents here in Australia let me know.  I would like to link him into the Campbell clan as we have a family stories say that we descent from the Duke of Argyle but 'on the wrong side of the sheet'.  As George has no father on his death certificate it makes me wonder if he is the link but I am unable to move backwards to find out.  Can you help with that bit?

Offline auscjs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 October 18 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am helping a lady do her family tree and she is descended from George Campbell and Isabella Watson from Mudgee. Can you please advise me of his date of death and can I assume that this was in Mudgee? Thank you for the information about the Vulcan business also.
Regards,
Chris

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 October 18 23:14 GMT (UK) »
@ Ruxton, interesting your story about a connection to the duke of Argyll, the last abbot of Cupar at the Reformation was a son of the House of Argyll, he turned his coat, sat in the Scottish Parliament & carved estates out of the abbey lands for each of his 5 or 6 sons. This Campbell expansion started a range-war with the local Ogilvie's, see the song "The Bonnie Hoose o Airlie!"  Your story might have some truth in it!

https://thecastlesofscotland.co.uk/the-best-castles/other-articles/forter-castle/

See also Airlie!

Skoosh.