Author Topic: Thomas WOODS Kilrea Co Derry - 1901 census  (Read 11077 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas WOODS Kilrea Co Derry - 1901 census
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 March 16 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Our exchange on the forum may help others. 

Yes, when information is exchanged by PM then others don't know all the details  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 September 16 10:37 BST (UK) »

Hi Aghadowey – An amendment to info supplied by yourself on Sun 15 April 2015.

Thomas McAuley Woods – this man is not a son of Thomas and Maria Woods.  Their son, Thomas Bolton Woods was born on 15 August 1900.
It is possible that Thomas McAuley Woods may have been a son of one of Thomas Woods sr.’s brothers.   He may have immigrated to Australia. 
Regards – Dinny.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 October 16 17:39 BST (UK) »

Hi Aghadowey – An amendment to info supplied by yourself on Sun 15 April 2015.

Thomas McAuley Woods – this man is not a son of Thomas and Maria Woods.  Their son, Thomas Bolton Woods was born on 15 August 1900.
It is possible that Thomas McAuley Woods may have been a son of one of Thomas Woods sr.’s brothers.   He may have immigrated to Australia. 
Regards – Dinny.   

Not sure where you got that from but birth certificate of Thomas McAuley Woods born 26 Dec.1900 Gortin Coolhill shows his parents as Thomas Bolton & Maria Woods-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1900/01978/1762147.pdf

See later reply

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 October 16 18:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your message, Aghadowey - Thomas Bolton Woods birth details supplied by myself -  his father was Thomas Woods (not Thomas Bolton)  and his mother’s maiden name was Maria Bolton  (not Maria Woods).   Thomas Bolton Woods was my great uncle, brother to my grandfather and I knew Thomas well.    His NZ records of marriage and death are correct as recorded Thomas Bolton Woods.   Gortin, Coolhill is probably correct as this is where some of his siblings were born.  Who says Irish registrations are correct?   Gortin, Coolhill was then in Aghadowey.   Regards - Dinny.

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 October 16 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Aghadowey  -  This could be the cause of confusion:

Thomas McAuley Bolton b. 1866 – d. 1949  – brother of Maria (nee Bolton) Woods, my g/grandmother.

This Thomas went to Australia and became a
Sheep farmer in Australia. Lived (at) "Come By Chance", Wallgett, New South Wales

Regards - Dinny.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 October 16 20:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the error (jet lag  :-\ ) should have read-

Not sure where you got that from but birth certificate of Thomas McAuley Woods born 26 Dec.1900 Gortin Coolhill shows his parents as Thomas Woods & Maria Bolton-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1900/01978/1762147.pdf

See later reply

If the name and birthdate are taken from N.Z. records then it could be that he later used Bolton as a middle name and the birthdate you have is incorrect.

Gortin Coolhill is still in Aghadowey Parish.

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 01 October 16 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Agahadowey - No on both counts - the change of name and birth and death dates.  Regards - thanks - Dinny.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 October 16 21:23 BST (UK) »
Well, I'm totally confused  :-\

Have you found a birth certificate and/or baptism record for a Thomas Bolton Woods born 15 Aug.1900 to Thomas Woods & Maria Bolton?

Have you looked at the birth registration I posted a link to?

Online shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 October 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
I am too.

The link you showed Aghadowey was for a Thomas McAuley Woods born to Thomas Woods and Maria Woods formerly Bolton.  On the link the birth is 26 September 1900.  The date of 15 August is mentioned in a post.  Where has this date come from?   I always understood that a birth certificate showed what the family had decided to call the child. Although there are many stories about this including fathers forgetting or not knowing the correct spelling and birth being registered late and so have a birthdate that fitted in with the time frame for registration but not with the date of the actual birth. 

Whether or not these names were continued over time was a matter of luck, chance, consistency etc compounded in those days by immigration, poorer access to education and accents on immigration. 
My Grandmother was sure that her middle name was Buchan or some times Buchanan.  Later looking at her christening entry COI Ballykelly it seems to have been recorded there as Banigan, Bannigan while her cousin 5 years older had this B name recorded as Bamingham and older ones as Birmingham and Bermingham.  So my grandmother has her NZ death certificate with Buchan on it.  Her COI christening entry has Bannigan.  But she is one and the same person. 

Dinny unless there were several Woods born on that date in 1900 then it is quite possible and highly probable that Thomas McAuley Woods is Thomas Bolton Woods. Often this may have come about if say the mother had died early or the family had named the McAuley after a then family friend who over the passage of time was no longer such a close family friend. You may be able to find when your Thomas started using the Bolton by looking at his marriage certificate, children's birth records  etc .